Thread: Graphics memory component prices rise 30 per cent in August

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Graphics memory component prices rise 30 per cent in August

RAM industry reportedly shifted production resources to server and smart device memory.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Graphics memory component prices rise 30 per cent in August

August quotes for RAMs used in VGA graphics cards have risen to US$8.50, up by 30.8% from US$6.50 in July. Both RAM industry leaders Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix have allocated part of their VGA RAM production capacities to producing memories for servers and handsets, fueling the price rally.

Sources from the upstream supply chain expect the pricing to go even higher in September and the shortages will pose a great challenge to graphics card and gaming notebook players over their abilities to handle component inventory.

Currently, Samsung supplies around 55% of worldwide VGA RAM shipments, followed by SK Hynix at 35% and Micron Technology at 10%.

Gaming notebook models in the price range of US$799-899 are usually equipped with Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050 GPU, which uses four RAMs, while models priced between US$999-1,099 are mostly equipped with a GTX 1060 GPU, which uses six RAMs, and a GTX 1070 GPU needs eight. The higher-end the models, the higher costs they command.

The sources pointed out that solid state drive (SSD) prices had been rising during the past 12 months but are expected to stay flat or drop slightly in the third and the fourth quarters as Hynix's transition to a newer-generation of manufacturing process is becoming stable.

Following the shift of part of its RAM capacity from the graphics card segment to the server segment, currently the server RAM accounts for 27% of Samsung's overall RAM capacity, up significantly from 12% originally.

Although Samsung is rumored to be expanding its VGA RAM capacity in the fourth quarter, the sources pointed out that the related product sales in the fourth quarter will still be seriously undermined as most of the production is done in the third quarter.
    That would indicate GDDR type memory not HBM2 which AMD and Nvidia use in some cards.

Since GDDR5 is used in most graphics cards,I would suggest if you want a card now,it might be worth getting one of the cheaper pre-order deals on a AMD or Nvidia card floating about now.

Thanks

It's almost like companies are working together so we don't upgrade our hardware....then complain because 'the pc market' isn't buying as much.

There's only so much price gouging consumers will take before they just say screw it and stick with what they have.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Should I get an RX 580 now? Or see what else comes at the same price point in the next 6-12 months?
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Registered+
    Thanks

Amazing how they all seem to work together to do this at the same time? Who is pulling the strings? Just imagine AMD had that attitude with their CPU line up, we would also be paying the same as for Intel. Is there only one manufacturer of GPU GDDR? There should be some investigation of price collusion. It seems that the PC component industry in general has reached some sort agreement not to compete on price anymore. Profiteering controlled by one central dictator.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Fury559's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k 4.5ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB 1866mhz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
      • PSU:
      • EVGA P2 1000w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • XF270HU

Considering that apart from the 1080ti release we haven't had anything competitive in the GPU department for over a year, I'll stick with my 1070 unless AMD cut the VEGA 64 to £350 so I can sell the 1070 for it and get freesync. ATM my most needed upgrade is CPU, 3570k is starting to not cut the mustard anymore, however I hope Zen+ or Coffee/Ice lake make my upgrade worthwhile.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by zsde View Post
    Amazing how they all seem to work together to do this at the same time? Who is pulling the strings? Just imagine AMD had that attitude with their CPU line up, we would also be paying the same as for Intel. Is there only one manufacturer of GPU GDDR? There should be some investigation of price collusion. It seems that the PC component industry in general has reached some sort agreement not to compete on price anymore. Profiteering controlled by one central dictator.
    However, in the normal and lean times, even AMD's really poor margins would be considered good for DRAM, GDDR and NAND makers. The 60%+ margins enjoyed by Intel, Qualcomm and Nvidia are but the stuff of dreams for memory manufacturers.

But despite this, memory silicon factories still cost $billions. There is a reason why there are now so few players left. Basically, the losses were too great or the returns too poor that all the other players went bankrupt, got bough or left. And which memory may be not be glorious or existing, getting 3D NAND to work, or HBM to market all require major R&D budgets. So of course, when there is a shortage the manufacturers take advantage of that. Whether they artificially help create this 'shortage' is an other matter.

Thanks

Compared to the mobile memory market graphics card memory is small. Samnsung and Apple sell well over 100 million phones a year so it is far more lucrative to serve those markets. Plus... graphics cards are a luxury item these days and people seem to pay well over the odds to play the latest games
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thread Information