Thread: TwinMOS TwiSTER PC4000 512MB Dual Channel Memory Kit

DR
    Thanks

TwinMOS TwiSTER PC4000 512MB Dual Channel Memory Kit

In summary, the TwinMOS TwiSTER PC4000 512MB Dual Channel kit does what it says on the box. That puts it on a par with other PC4000 modules we've tested. What sets it apart from the other heavyweight premium manufacturers is price. It's cheaper and just as good. Indeed it managed to run at PC4200 speeds without too much difficulty. If you can appreciate the knowledge that high-speed modules, and we're talking PC3700 upwards here, aren't partial to ultra-low latencies, the TwinMOS set provides that best value. That sounds contradictory when 512MB costs £110, but that's the state of play in this niche market.
    http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD02ODA=

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Thats some damn good memory for the price by the look of it, maybe next time i upgrade........*dreams*

Thanks

Twister not worth it

Hi!

I had 10 (in words : ten) Twister PC4000 512MB modules here at home - they all refused to go higher than approx. 245 FSB on Abit IC7-G and Max3 in dualchannel mode.
    Apparently Tarinder ran into the same difficulties - or why did he not test it at FSB 250? I can hardly believe the 2.6 P4 maxed out at that FSB. I think the crew should look into that memory again.
    I now stopped being a cheapskate and bought Corsair XMS PC4000 pro and I can take it way up to 265 FSB without problems which tells me "do not buy TwinMOS, at least not if you want to combine it with an Abit board!"

greetz
    Toby

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    I guess the thing about TwinMOS is that its cheap enough so you can buy the faster stuff and run it at stock speeds, rather than spending on lower stock speed but better overclocking memory...

Thanks

looks to me as if TwinMOS is just not compatible with Abit

I actually think that the modules should AT LEAST run at the speed they're specced at - and this is 500MHz in this case. Well they don't - at least not on Abit P4 boards which are among the top-rated P4 boards out there only rivalled by Asus. So it is a big let-down not to be able to run these modules on very popular boards.
    What concerns me most is that IMHO Tarinder did not test these modules properly. I buy them so that I can run sync FSB 250, Tarinder did not get them up to that speed but gave them an 8/10. That does not look like proper reviewing to me. He should at least have tried on a P4C800-E which is the TwinMOS reference platform.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by voider
    I actually think that the modules should AT LEAST run at the speed they're specced at - and this is 500MHz in this case. Well they don't - at least not on Abit P4 boards which are among the top-rated P4 boards out there only rivalled by Asus. So it is a big let-down not to be able to run these modules on very popular boards.
    What concerns me most is that IMHO Tarinder did not test these modules properly. I buy them so that I can run sync FSB 250, Tarinder did not get them up to that speed but gave them an 8/10. That does not look like proper reviewing to me. He should at least have tried on a P4C800-E which is the TwinMOS reference platform.
    You must be reading some other review. I ran them at 246.5MHz to keep some kind of CPU speed parity with a 3.2GHz / DDR400 combination.

I also managed to hit 266MHz, as shown by the CPU-Z shot

http://img.hexus.net/TwinMOS500/267.png

Thanks

i see...

Quote Originally Posted by Spystar
    You must be reading some other review. I ran them at 246.5MHz to keep some kind of CPU speed parity with a 3.2GHz / DDR400 combination.

I also managed to hit 266MHz, as shown by the CPU-Z shot

http://img.hexus.net/TwinMOS500/267.png

Sorry I must have overlooked that screeny and the text belonging to it. Well it all fitted in so nicely with my findings. So no more questioning your reviewing - I even registered on the forums cause I thought I had found a glitch in your always thorough reviewing - sorry again.
    Well this leaves one question: why did I have problems with 5 dualchannel kits (I've got free access to them) and had immediate success with either HyperX or XMS? Can't be the settings (latency / Game Accelerator), it cost me a lot of time to try all combinations in two boards but no luck...funny.
    Well I had Windows booting and beeing stable enough for Office work / web browsing but prime95 failed immediately. Funny thing was Memtest86 did run for 30mins without reporting errors...it can't be the boards because they are absolutely happy wit XMS4000pro right now...

Thanks
    I think that it would be interesting to compare the Twisters against the Corsair XMS3500C2 overclocked rather than at 200 FSB... the Corsair @ 220+ FSB @ 2-2-2-6 will blow the Twisters away... that's why people pay more money for the Premium brand stix... they justify the price when they overperform!

Thanks

Arrow premium not only for OCing but for compatibility

I will stay with Corsair in the future after my disastrous encounter with a whole batch of TwinMOS PC4000. It is not (only) overclockability that I'm after but the ease of mind that I can stick them into any board that comes along without giving me trouble.
    Maybe I just had a bad batch of sticks but I've had my share of TwinMOS. Abit fanboys beware!

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu C
    I think that it would be interesting to compare the Twisters against the Corsair XMS3500C2 overclocked rather than at 200 FSB... the Corsair @ 220+ FSB @ 2-2-2-6 will blow the Twisters away... that's why people pay more money for the Premium brand stix... they justify the price when they overperform!

But how would you position Corsair's very own PC4000 RAM ?. It has 3-4-4-8 latencies, and it surely would be soundly beaten by the firm's low-latency memory ?

The sad truth is that very high MHz and low latencies are almost mutually exclusive. Doubt we'll be seeing DDR500 @ 2-2-2-5 anytime soon.

Thanks
    But how would you position Corsair's very own PC4000 RAM ?. It has 3-4-4-8 latencies, and it surely would be soundly beaten by the firm's low-latency memory ?

The sad truth is that very high MHz and low latencies are almost mutually exclusive. Doubt we'll be seeing DDR500 @ 2-2-2-5 anytime soon.
    If the serious modders are hitting that sort of performance now, then it can't be too far away for standard tech!

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/hall_of_fame/

Note MrIcee - FSB 310MHz @ 2-2-2-5

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu C
    If the serious modders are hitting that sort of performance now, then it can't be too far away for standard tech!

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/hall_of_fame/

Note MrIcee - FSB 310MHz @ 2-2-2-5
    There's something fishy about that result. I still have a hard time believing it. Mushkin has been the only one to continue the high MHz / low latency theme of late.

Of course, there may be freak sticks out there that respond well to serious cooling and overclocking. However, ask around the forums and find out how many people run 24/7 at DDR466+ speeds with ultra-low latencies.

Pure MHz speed seems to sell. Corsair, OCZ and select others seem to want to keep it this way

Thanks
    Of course, there may be freak sticks out there that respond well to serious cooling and overclocking. However, ask around the forums and find out how many people run 24/7 at DDR466+ speeds with ultra-low latencies.
    Maybey not everyone, but higher FSB is becoming more common. My system is quite happy at 9.5 x 135 @ 2-2-2-11 24/7.

I would say that it would become standard by the end of the year, if it wasn't for the fact the DDR2 will be taking over.

Thanks

Twinmos DDR4000 & Asus P4C800-E Dlx

Has any 1 tested this memory with an asus p4c800-e deluxe yet,as i am thinking of upgrading.

thanks in advance

Thread Information