Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 21

Thread: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    21,538
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    717 times in 341 posts

    Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    The card that does so many things right.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,390
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked
    151 times in 145 posts

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Not entirely sold by the new styling, not that it really matters.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NORTH
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts
    • raven1001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • 2500k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB corsair
      • Storage:
      • Corsiar 60GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX480
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • lian li
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT 20MB

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    £600 lol.

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    I don't get the point of comparing the overclocking capabilities. With most cards it's just the silicon lottery as the majority of cards don't use binned GPUs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    24,879
    Thanks
    979
    Thanked
    2,281 times in 1,860 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD7870
      • PSU:
      • XFX Pro 650W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post
    With most cards it's just the silicon lottery as the majority of cards don't use binned GPUs.
    Quite the opposite. With the same chip design used for multiple models there's at least as much binning as there has ever been, no way is nVidia/TMSC's manufacturing so perfect that every chip works at the same voltage/frequency/CUs, so why would you waste Titan quality chips on 780s when binned chips will be fine?

  6. #6
    Evil Monkey! MrJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,069
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked
    148 times in 117 posts
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel 3570K 'Ivybridge'
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengence LP
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256GB SSD, 2 x 2TB Seagate HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-660
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-02 Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp LED 27" Monitor IPS U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • 40mb/s fibre

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    The conclusions for the card seem somewhat conflicting; the 'bottom line' section states that the card is capable of "...overclocking like a dream...", yet just below in the 'the bad' summary, it's described as only capable of a "Mediocre core overclock, none for memory." Which is it?

  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post
    With most cards it's just the silicon lottery as the majority of cards don't use binned GPUs.
    Quite the opposite. With the same chip design used for multiple models there's at least as much binning as there has ever been, no way is nVidia/TMSC's manufacturing so perfect that every chip works at the same voltage/frequency/CUs, so why would you waste Titan quality chips on 780s when binned chips will be fine?
    I mean no binning within the 780 chips that OEMs are given. Obviously they won't be giving out Titan or Tesla quality chips out.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    27 times in 22 posts

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobgod1969 View Post
    The conclusions for the card seem somewhat conflicting; the 'bottom line' section states that the card is capable of "...overclocking like a dream...", yet just below in the 'the bad' summary, it's described as only capable of a "Mediocre core overclock, none for memory." Which is it?
    It can overclock like a dream. However, out of the box, it comes with only a mediocre core overclock and no overclock on the memory. This is why the start of the review shows it coming towards the bottom of the 780's in the test. However, once overclocked (by you), the performance increase you see at the end of the review is significant.

  9. Received thanks from:

    Tarinder (16-07-2013)

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    27 times in 22 posts

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Slightly off topic, but is there a reason for using the EVGA overclocking software rather than the ASUS software they bundle with the card? More specifically, is it because the EVGA software is better/easier to use, or that this is to standardize against other cards for review purposes?

  11. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Surabaya
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts
    • jackjack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • BIOSTAR TA990FXE
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8120
      • Memory:
      • CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • WDC SATA III black 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 7770 POWER EDITION
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR CX500
      • Case:
      • Acrylic mod's custom case
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC I2757FM

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    dam* i love ASUS!

  12. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    How does this compare to the 690 gtx?

  13. #12
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    24,879
    Thanks
    979
    Thanked
    2,281 times in 1,860 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD7870
      • PSU:
      • XFX Pro 650W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    Slightly off topic, but is there a reason for using the EVGA overclocking software rather than the ASUS software they bundle with the card? More specifically, is it because the EVGA software is better/easier to use, or that this is to standardize against other cards for review purposes?
    Historically EVGA precision was the only tool that allowed you to tweak the boost overclock, not sure if that's still the case, but it could be - plus the bonus of standardising (assuming no shenanigans).

  14. #13
    Team HEXUS.net
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,163
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked
    209 times in 124 posts

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Nvidia tends to use EVGA's overclocking utility when describing the headroom on its GPUs, we just adopted that methodology.

    All cards are overclocked in the same way, with the same methodology, so it is an apples-to-apples comparison.

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Ignore me!
    Last edited by kosch; 16-07-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: I am an ID10T

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Would really like to replace my ancient Amd hd4990 with one of these cards but the mention of dx11.2 has put me off.
    Any news on whether these cards will be "fully" compatible?

    When I bought the hd4990 a week later direct x 10 came out! This mistake won't be repeated lol

  17. #16
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    24,879
    Thanks
    979
    Thanked
    2,281 times in 1,860 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD7870
      • PSU:
      • XFX Pro 650W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaStyles View Post
    Would really like to replace my ancient Amd hd4990 with one of these cards but the mention of dx11.2 has put me off.
    Any news on whether these cards will be "fully" compatible?

    When I bought the hd4990 a week later direct x 10 came out! This mistake won't be repeated lol
    11.2 is just a software update isn't it? More about calls that windows makes - of course, you need windows 8.1 though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •