Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 22

Thread: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    25,974
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,394 times in 522 posts

    Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Move over Founders Edition, this is GTX 1080 Ti done right.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel 4690K @ 4.5Ghz (1.3vlts)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1x256GB SSD 1x3TB 1x2TB 7200rpm Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • SLI ASUS 970 Strix (1280 Core)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower Leadex 650w Gold
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 450D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2414H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Fibre 200Mb

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    I'm sorry, I just can't do it. I thought I could, but I can't.

    I just cannot bring myself to spend that sort of money on a graphics card, I can afford it, but that's not the point, its just an obscene amount to spend on something as trivial as gaming.

    There are just so many more life affirming things I could do with £800.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    334
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    13 times in 11 posts
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Where are the rest of the Games in the benchmark test gone like Battlefield 1 ? Those x3 fan's really do keep the Asus ROG 1080 ti cool thats really nice. You do need a large case to host this card.
    Bagpusss I totally agree there, its a ALOT of money and its hard to justify it, Thats why you press Buy without thinking and pretend its all Ok, its for a Good cause lol believe me I know how you feel.
    Can Hexus also review the MSI 1080Ti Pleaseeeee :@)

  4. #4
    Tangential CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,581
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked
    3,846 times in 2,983 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Asus are ripping off UK consumers:

    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Ti_Strix_OC/

    Its $740 in the US,which should be around £711ish in the UK,so it is overpriced by around £90.

    However,at the older exchange rates at which the GTX970 and GTX980TI were launched,at that would make a £700ish card under £600,so TBH,people need to realise the exchange rates are easily adding £100 to the price of a £550 to £600 card.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  5. #5
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    2,912
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked
    237 times in 210 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X79 Extreme4-M
      • CPU:
      • i7 3930K o/c to 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer G&R
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E2773HS
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Asus are ripping off UK consumers:
    "ASUS isn't 100% sure yet what the final retail price will be, but it will definitely be higher than the NVIDIA Founders Edition price. Best guess right now is something in the $740 range"

    Whose best guess is this?
    TechPowerUp's?
    Is that including the retailer's markup, too?
    How are they ripping us off, especially on RRPs, when it's the retailer you give your money over to?

  6. #6
    Tangential CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,581
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked
    3,846 times in 2,983 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    "ASUS isn't 100% sure yet what the final retail price will be, but it will definitely be higher than the NVIDIA Founders Edition price. Best guess right now is something in the $740 range"

    Whose best guess is this?
    TechPowerUp's?
    Is that including the retailer's markup, too?
    How are they ripping us off, especially on RRPs, when it's the retailer you give your money over to?
    LMAO,are you serious regarding Asus pricing??

    Why don't you actually look at what they did with the GTX1080.

    Look at the BT review of the GTX1080 ROG:

    https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gr...ix-oc-review/1

    The Strix OC version we have for review here is, as you might expect, priced highly - £750, at the time of writing, which is around £200 more than you could expect to pay for a standard GTX 1080.
    The review was done on the 27th of September:

    https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/be...-on-2016-09-27

    The exchange rate was around $1.24 to a pound.

    http://techreport.com/review/30550/a...-card-reviewed.


    Confusingly, Newegg sells the A8G card under its full Asus model name, while the O8G is sold as an "OC Edition." Buyers should be careful to make sure they're getting the Strix card they want. The A8G card sells for $709.99, and the OC Edition sells for $719.99.
    Now that was in the same month.

    So $720ish at the exchange rate on the day would have equated to around £700ish including VAT. So that is a nice £50 increase in UK pricing.

    Plus if you actually have followed larger forums where more people buy higher end Asus gear,it seems the UK pricing on average tends to be higher.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 30-03-2017 at 07:50 PM.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  7. #7
    Tangential CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,581
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked
    3,846 times in 2,983 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Also lets look at some other cards - an example is the higher end MSI GTX1070:

    https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gr...-x-8g-review/1

    £430 and reviewed by BT on 5th October 2016. UK exchange rate was around $1.24 to a pound:

    https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/be...-on-2016-10-05

    HardOCP reviewed the same card in October:

    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016...card_review/12

    Around $440 to $450,which equates to around to around £425 to £435.

    Funny how MSI pricing seems much closer together!

    Apparently there is some conspiracy by UK retailers to price Asus stuff higher since they hate them.

    Edit!!

    Lets look at the Gigabyte GTX1080 Xtreme Gaming:

    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphi...080-g1-gaming/
    http://techreport.com/review/30362/g...-card-reviewed

    £675 in the UK and $699 in the US.

    The pound was around $1.23 to $1.25 during June and July 2016.

    Once you add VAT,the price would be around £675 anyway.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 30-03-2017 at 06:39 PM.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  8. #8
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    895
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked
    42 times in 41 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 PRO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2700K
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I'm sorry, I just can't do it. I thought I could, but I can't.

    I just cannot bring myself to spend that sort of money on a graphics card, I can afford it, but that's not the point, its just an obscene amount to spend on something as trivial as gaming.

    There are just so many more life affirming things I could do with £800.
    It's the best thing I've ever bought. I'm playing all games on max (well, near enough) at 4K. I paid £720 for a founders edition, and it boosts to 1900mhz without me changing anything except the fan profile. I *love* it.

  9. #9
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    895
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked
    42 times in 41 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 PRO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2700K
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Also, CAT, nothing is ever the same price when you convert it. It always costs more here. They have extra taxes to pay which don't get factored into the list price because every state is different. It's not just ASUS, I honestly don't know anything that was ever the same price there as it is here.

  10. #10
    Tangential CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,581
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked
    3,846 times in 2,983 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Also lets look at some other cards - an example is the higher end MSI GTX1070:

    https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gr...-x-8g-review/1

    £430 and reviewed by BT on 5th October 2016. UK exchange rate was around $1.24 to a pound:

    https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/be...-on-2016-10-05

    HardOCP reviewed the same card in October:

    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016...card_review/12

    Around $440 to $450,which equates to around to around £425 to £435.

    Funny how MSI pricing seems much closer together!

    Apparently there is some conspiracy by UK retailers to price Asus stuff higher since they hate them.

    Edit!!

    Lets look at the Gigabyte GTX1080 Xtreme Gaming:

    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphi...080-g1-gaming/
    http://techreport.com/review/30362/g...-card-reviewed

    £675 in the UK and $699 in the US.

    The pound was around $1.23 to $1.25 during June and July 2016.

    Once you add VAT,the price would be around £675 anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Also, CAT, nothing is ever the same price when you convert it. It always costs more here. They have extra taxes to pay which don't get factored into the list price because every state is different. It's not just ASUS, I honestly don't know anything that was ever the same price there as it is here.
    Which is irrelevant - since the UK has a fixed 20% VAT,which means without VAT,US and UK pricing should be similar. It isn't for Asus - if the price with VAT is higher it means the base price is higher.

    Then also how come MSI and Gigabyte don't have the problem - I just showed you with numbers what happened with the GTX1070 and GTX1080 launches.

    Some of you need to stop making excuses for Asus - its why they can get try and get away with this.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  11. #11
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    895
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked
    42 times in 41 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 PRO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2700K
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Which is irrelevant - since the UK has a fixed 20% VAT,which means without VAT,US and UK pricing should be similar. It isn't for Asus - if the price with VAT is higher it means the base price is higher.

    Then also how come MSI and Gigabyte don't have the problem - I just showed you with numbers what happened with the GTX1070 and GTX1080 launches.

    Some of you need to stop making excuses for Asus - its why they can get try and get away with this.
    You need to stop with the accusations a lil bit there mate, you're a bit out of order. I'm not making excuses for anyone, I don't give a toss about the company, I was just saying I honestly can't remember a price from the US being equal to the UK price. Those you shown me up there are news to me. Hell back in the day I'd have my parts shipped from the US to save substantial sums of money(I ran a *lot* of underground servers when I was a nipper)

    Maybe there is some sort of ASUS tax I dunno, but generally speaking, things are cheaper in the US when all is factored in. If I had to hazard a guess, I reckon some of it has to do with logistics and demand - they're probably shipping 5-10x more of the same product into the US over the UK. Or any number of reasons, who knows. I just know prices are typically cheaper across the pond.

    Well, except for MSI it seems ha

  12. #12
    Tangential CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,581
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked
    3,846 times in 2,983 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    You need to stop with the accusations a lil bit there mate, you're a bit out of order. I'm not making excuses for anyone, I don't give a toss about the company, I was just saying I honestly can't remember a price from the US being equal to the UK price. Those you shown me up there are news to me. Hell back in the day I'd have my parts shipped from the US to save substantial sums of money(I ran a *lot* of underground servers when I was a nipper)

    Maybe there is some sort of ASUS tax I dunno, but generally speaking, things are cheaper in the US when all is factored in. If I had to hazard a guess, I reckon some of it has to do with logistics and demand - they're probably shipping 5-10x more of the same product into the US over the UK. Or any number of reasons, who knows. I just know prices are typically cheaper across the pond.

    Well, except for MSI it seems ha

    Look at the GTX980TI Strix reviewed in August 2015:

    https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gr...strix-review/1
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/gr...eview-3624183/

    Around £640 to £645 here. $669 in the US at the end of July and in September 2015:

    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...card_review/12
    http://techreport.com/review/28685/g...rds-compared/4

    The exchange rate was $1.5 to $1.55 to a pound at that point.

    Even if you add 20% VAT on top,it comes to significantly less.

    The MSI equivalent reviewed at a similar time was around £550:

    https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gr...ng-6g-review/1

    It was around $680 in the US:

    http://techreport.com/review/28685/g...rds-compared/3

    Do the conversion from USD with VAT,it comes close to £550.


    Its because if people don't realise this,it only means Asus(or retailers) will do it more and more,and their competition will start to do the same. Gigabyte didn't do the same either at least with the GTX1070 and GTX1080 - the UK is not always more expensive than the US,but it takes the mickey with the Asus GTX1080 pricing alone.

    It worries me if people don't comment on it,and their competitors start realising they can do the same,its only going to push the ENTIRE price range up.

    The only real impact of Brexit is the weaker pound,nothing else has changed at all,so there is no excuse for these pricing discrepancies as the retail chain would be the same and the products are imported from abroad anyway.

    Maybe once we have left the EU things will change in the retail chain side.

    Edit!!

    This is launch pricing so I am not taking into account any of the better rebate schemes the US tends to get.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 30-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  13. #13
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Now I'm just waiting for the Hybrid water+air version, like the Poseidon was and some pics with thermal imaging and I'll buy one!
    I think both the firefox and the chrome will run good on it as for a half a year I didn't play any games beside the Quake3 In 4K

  14. #14
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Shane74's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • 5960X 4.0ghz OC
      • Memory:
      • 32GB G Skill DDR 4 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 512GB XP941(main) 2x4TB Western Digital Greens
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x EVGA superclocked 980ti's
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (black)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG279Q(daily/gamer) Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Samsung UD590 4k
      • Internet:
      • 100Mbit cable

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I'm sorry, I just can't do it. I thought I could, but I can't.

    I just cannot bring myself to spend that sort of money on a graphics card, I can afford it, but that's not the point, its just an obscene amount to spend on something as trivial as gaming.

    There are just so many more life affirming things I could do with £800.
    The same can be said of anything, It's all a matter of perception.
    Some people blow 5-10k on a holiday every year, To me it's ludicrous for just a few weeks fun.
    Others will upgrade their phone EVERY year for stuff all difference, Yet more will buy a new car every 3 years.
    A gpu that gets used every day if you are a gamer is cheap compared to the rest, It's what ever floats your boat.
    Everything in life can be trivial to someone else.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts
    • EvilCycle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 7700K (OC to 4.8GHz on Corsair H100i V2)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 120GB SSD + 3 x 500GB 72000rpm HDD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1070 AMP! EXTREME
      • PSU:
      • DEEPCOOL DQ 750st
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb (Fibre Optic)

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    The pricing is crazy for a GPU, I'm glad I went with the 1070, if I spend a similar amount on my next GPU in a few years I'll end up spending around the price of this GPU altogether and probably end up with a better one.

  16. #16
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC

    Where can I get a GPU brace, mentioned in the introduction? Looking through Amazon and the usual component sites is drawing a blank for me. There is a cheap perspex one on eBay but that looks quite nasty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •