• UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 and Radeon RX Vega 56

OcUK had 1000 Vega64 air cooled cards at £450 and they sold out in an hour.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    People are acting like we haven't seen what Vega would be like before,so I didn't hype it after that.

The fact is I am not sure why you are so negative about Vega56??
    Just because we knew it was going to be a very pedestrian card in relation to its year-old competition before its official release, doesn't make it any less disappointing once its independently confirmed. Besides which, I think you're perhaps overstating my negativity, perhaps even projecting a little, as I haven't said a single word about the 56 specifically.

It draws the same power as an RX580 but is considerably faster,and is faster than a GTX1070.
    I don't really understand why you're bringing the 580 into it? Totally different price/performance bracket and an irrelevant comparison. If anything, all that does is highlight that the 580 aint so good on power.
    Regardless, if you have to bait me into it, I personally don't actually care too much about the power usage if they can get the heat and noise tamed, which according to a few reviews I've read, they haven't. Perhaps a Sapphire card will fare better in this regard, but then the price becomes far less appealing.

Look at the last RX570 4GB review - its basically an RX470. The RX470 4GB was getting beaten by a GTX1060 6GB comprehensively,now a year later that review showed an RX570 matching a GTX1060 6GB.
    This is true, they probably will squeeze 8-10%(?) more over a couple of years. A point of consideration.

...why are you telling me we should hype the GTX1070 instead??
    Did I? Citation please...?

Unless the realworld price is like £400+,if AMD keeps them under £400,its OK for what it is.
    ...and if Nvidia doesn't drop its prices of course. Given that its a mature card, I suspect they have a bit of wriggle room to do so.
    "OK for what it is" isn't really what AMD needed.
    They needed to convincingly outpace the 1070 and 1080 with the 56 and 64 (respectively) and be at least looking at the 1080Ti with their flagship IMO. As it stands, they have confirmed my fears, they are basically 1 generation behind Nvidia.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    snip
    Don't start that stupid nonsense with me,you are the one posting childish poo pictures - this is the Vega 56 and Vega 64 review thread,so trying to bury the Vega56 seems very disingenuous.

You are the one baiting on purpose here - you don't want a discussion by posting poo pictures.

So basically because you overhyped the card and are crying and you want everyone else to cry??

The reason you are desperate to bury the Vega56,since it means you want to be as negative as possible. Sadly for you,once you look at other reviews,like GN:

https://s12.postimg.org/sg0vdvph9/gdfg.png

Oh wait,so it does not look too bad. So slightly faster than a GTX1070,not massively worse in power consumption.

So again you over-reacted by putting in poo picture,from obviously not reading many reviews(I have) and once you are taken to task on it,you are deflecting.

So in your little bubble please tell me if someone wants to spend £300 to £400 on a qHD card,you are bascially say ignore the Vega56 if it is under £400??

Why because you have sold the GTX1070 to yourself??

Wait 6 months for Volta??

What then??

Only on internet forums do people care,when stuff is released.

The Canon 6D MK2 is the competitor to the Nikon D750 released yonks ago.

Its still going to sell in droves.

If someone needs a card in the next few months,do they have some kind of sodding time machine to go back to last year??

Its irrelevant information.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-08-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Ok,using absurd logic nobody should have bought a GTX970 since the R9 290/290X were released nearly a year before with similar performance?? You could get AIB R9 290 cards for just over £300 two months after launch.

Oh wait,the GTX970 sold massively despite bringing us performance we had for a while.

Obviously that was not an issue.

Nobody should buy a GTX1060/RX480 since the GTX970 21 months earlier had similar performance at launch and was a tad more expensive. You could buy high end R9 290 cards for £170 delivered in 2015.

Half the market is buying "old" performance.

If the Vega56 IF under £400 is pointless,so is a GTX1070. You might as well buy a console for the same money and forget buying any card.

Do people seriously think if there was no Vega,Nvidia has stopped selling GTX1070 cards since they are "old". They will selling loads of these until the day before Volta is released next year.

AMD has a GTX1070 competitor,which as long as miners don't screw up,will get them better than the 0 sales in that segment they get.

Or is GTX1070/GTX1080 performance so crap we should not bother until Volta??

Cool. I will tell people to stop buying graphics cards because a GTX980TI is not massively slower than either a GTX1070/GTX1080 especially if overclocked.

The only card worth buying is a GTX1080TI.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-08-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

There were plenty of people who said "Vega will kill the 1080 and probably even the ti".

Fanboys will tend to do that, it's why they're fanboys. No need for common sense when you're a rabid zealot rushing to defend your beloved Corporation.

Rather than admit to being wrong, or even just having your hopes up a little too high, just move the goalposts when people point out various discrepancies.

Well over a year and this is the very best they can do. By best I mean pushing voltages to scrape every bit of performance they can, just to ship something that isn't a total embarrassment.

(Not saying I wouldn't get one. Price/Performance might look much better when sapphire release a proper unit. It's just not good enough, Nvidia don't have to play price wars nor do they have to rush Volta out, the market will go back to being somewhat stagnant.)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

...snip for space
    I mean... are you honestly going to stick to your guns here that I'm the one overreacting?

It was a light hearted, deliberately childish, poop picture to express my disappointment in the release...

Somehow that turned into me being an AMD hating, Nvidia shilling, keyboard warrior who's self determined destiny is to troll everyone on Hexus and ruin their days. (I'm obviously paraphrasing, but I think that's a pretty accurate summary of your replies)

I think you need to calm down a little, I didn't post to start an argument and frankly cant be bothered with one. If it helps, I won't be buying either card (certainly not new).

7. Received thanks from:

Iota (14-08-2017),Pleiades (14-08-2017)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Only internet forums do fanbois or enthusiasts go on about "past performance" when in every other tech area people don't care - they are the ones who pretend they have an interest in buying something and then express fake outrage. When it is pointed out the fake outrage is fake,they shift the goalposts since they are the ones crying about it.

Many times its the worst fanbois who overyhype the cards - people were overhyping the RX480 as a GTX980TI matcher,yet even I said for months it was going to be a cheaper R9 290/290X with lower power draw,and people on forums wouldn't believe me.

Yet,look at all the cries from certain people,even though it was obvious.

Every leak has hinted GTX1080 level performance is what we would get - so why all the sudden surprise.

I soon accepted it after all the testing of the FE. None of the leaks show better performance.

Look at things like cameras for example,companies don't sync releases,and people only care at the time they make a purchase.

I have been on forums long enough to remember some people - I remember the same justification for the GTX970. Aftermarket R9 290 cards could be had for £300 from Powercolor. Yet the same people were trying to get people on forums to upgrade to a GTX970 just to save a few watts of power.

Yet,where were all the poo pictures for the GTX970,even though that level of performance could be had for not much more money before??

Where were all the poo pictures when he RX480 and GTX1060 came out when the R9 290 could be had for £170 delivered in 2015.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-08-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I mean... are you honestly going to stick to your guns here that I'm the one overreacting?

It was a light hearted, deliberately childish, poop picture to express my disappointment in the release...

Somehow that turned into me being an AMD hating, Nvidia shilling, keyboard warrior who's self determined destiny is to troll everyone on Hexus and ruin their days. (I'm obviously paraphrasing, but I think that's a pretty accurate summary of your replies)

I think you need to calm down a little, I didn't post to start an argument and frankly cant be bothered with one. If it helps, I won't be buying either card (certainly not new).
    Nope I said had you not looked at the Vega56 and YOU started the current line of events. Plus I am unlikely to buying any of them either.

You know very well I have posted my obvious dissapointment about Vega FE before here?

Or the fact I said the GTX1080 is a better package.

Its one thing being negative why is the internet only have a negative on mode or positive on mode on everything??

People go on about but Vega56 is old performance,etc. But so is almost all the cards in the Nvidia and AMD stack.

I have pretty much said it needs to be sub £400.

Look at it from the point of some buying a card or a system in the next few months,why does it matter when the cards come out??

If they are not far apart in price,surely you purchase on the merits of the card in the games you play,not its age or development cycle.

Did anyone say the GTX460 was a year late and consumed more power than the ATI equivalent and not to buy it??

Nope. I nearly bought one myself.

Thanks

I was going to splash out on a Vega, but this is a bit underwhelming, to say the least! The horrendous power-draw, noise and temps make it impossible. I'm all for AMD challenging Nvidia rip-offs, but they will have to do better than this. A lot better.

Thanks

I can see how AMD is playing the whole thing now. They bring out very good overall products which aren't necessarily the best in any one category but are on a par or better than the competition to gain them sales, sales they have been missing for a while now. This is because they are behind in sales and money and need to be competitive right now or else they will suffer massively. This product is good, good enough to claw them back some sales they haven't had for a while. look at TR and Ryzen, big shake up in the market. You can once again buy a nearly all AMD system that performs well and is cheaper than the competition. I thought this is what they would do once they started showing off whole systems. 90% of the performance at like 60-70% off the cost can't be sniffed at
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

12. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (14-08-2017)

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    sales they have been missing for a while now
    They're not losing sales currently when you consider the miners have essentially been buying up stocks and pushing up pricing. Polaris has done very well for them.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I can see how AMD is playing the whole thing now. They bring out very good overall products which aren't necessarily the best in any one category but are on a par or better than the competition to gain them sales, sales they have been missing for a while now. This is because they are behind in sales and money and need to be competitive right now or else they will suffer massively. This product is good, good enough to claw them back some sales they haven't had for a while. look at TR and Ryzen, big shake up in the market. You can once again buy a nearly all AMD system that performs well and is cheaper than the competition. I thought this is what they would do once they started showing off whole systems. 90% of the performance at like 60-70% off the cost can't be sniffed at
    You get it - AMD has no GPU which can handle qHD that well and have zero sales in the segment.The Vega56 is close enough to a Vega64 to give AMD some sales in that area as long as they can price it under £400,and OFC like with Intel,the very high end sales Nvidia will get. It gives them a couple of months of sales,which will also mean more chance of some of its specific features to be utilised by some games.

In the end its commonly said on forums,why care about "old" performance since everyone will have got it already,etc. It does not work that way,the GTX1070 is old GTX980TI level performance with less overclocking headroom,so you could argue why should people care?? People will be buying GTX1070 cards until Volta is released,so now AMD has something to target that market.

The GTX1070 is the 6th most popular card on Steam now,but from the start of the year its marketshare has gone up as several people have upgraded from older cards. Even my mate got one a few weeks ago,although he got an utter bargain from Amazon. It shows you that level of performance is still not common.

AMD now gets some of that share as long as it is priced well enough,and that is the major IF since miners might screw up the pricing,for some weird reason they are also buying Vega64 too even though it has poor hashrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    They're not losing sales currently when you consider the miners have essentially been buying up stocks and pushing up pricing. Polaris has done very well for them.
    I think he is talking more about people with qHD monitors,etc. This is probably where most GTX1070 sales are for,or extra 1080p performance.

Having said that all 1000 £450 Vega64 cards sold out in 45 minutes on OcUK,so I think the miners might be interested in this card even though hash rates are relatively crap.

Its a bit worrying if the same happens to Vega56 though. Hopefully not.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Nope I said had you not looked at the Vega56 and YOU started the current line of events.
    Me: poop picture
    You: havent you read reviews?
    Me: you're not disappointed?
    you: baseless accusations start...

You know very well I have posted my obvious dissapointment about Vega FE before here?
    Or the fact I said the GTX1080 is a better package
    I haven't disputed either, merely asked for clarification due to the positive attitude in your reply somehow contradicting the disappointed comments I have seen elsewhere.

You're making up you're own arguments dude, seriously. I'm not going to keep addressing arguments you're making based on things I didn't even say, suggest, or imply.

Stop it and move on.

16. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (14-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    I'm looking at the bigger overall picture. For years people bought an Intel cpu and mobo and then maybe stuck in an AMD card. Miners are a phase that will sometime go away and whilst AMD do well on that front, going forward they needed something different. HBM2 and all it brings was difficult for a time and we now have the product. Let's see what happens next generation on both sides but right now AMD have got product to market across the board almost at a decent price with decent performance
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Me: poop picture
    You: havent you read reviews?
    Me: you're not disappointed?
    you: baseless accusations start...

I haven't disputed either, merely asked for clarification due to the positive attitude in your reply somehow contradicting the disappointed comments I have seen elsewhere.

You're making up you're own arguments dude, seriously. I'm not going to keep addressing arguments you're making based on things I didn't even say, suggest, or imply.

Stop it and move on.
    This is a review for both cards,so I was wondering why all the negativity about the Vega56.

I explained why I was not dissapointed in Vega56(neither am I ecstatic,because you know people can just think a product is OK,instead of everthing either being -100000 negative or +100000 positive) and I have said the GTX1080 is a better package than a Vega 64(considering the one I have on borrow now runs in SFF PC),and then you dismissed it out of hand,so in the end it came across as you just being dissapointed for the sake of it. In the end all I see is AMD having its own version of the GTX1070,and not even with massive power consumption too,since even my SFX 450W PSU runs an overclocked GTX1080 fine.

So not sure what all the poo pictures are for. If you seriously think GTX1070 performance is poo,then LOL. Maybe on a tech forum,but not certainly in the RL. Also all the inane time arguments - which you could argue is the same at almost every segment outside the fastest cards of every generation. Unless you only buy Titan X type cards every year,I think its only an argument geeks on forums care about.

I don't know anyone in the RL,care about what product is released first or last - they will judge it on the relative merits at the time a purchase is made and I have clarified even what kind of price range I expect it needs to be,relative to its competition.

Well that is generally the circle of people I know. OFC it could be quite possible all the people you know will have spreadsheets with how long XYZ products are out and then applying calculations of value based on that,so I concede people will look at these things differently.

Whatever floats your boat!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-08-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks

I wonder if people ever have normal discussions about Nvidia and AMD.

20. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (14-08-2017),Xlucine (14-08-2017)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information