• Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Uncontrollable damp - renting

Hi guys,

The damp in my apartment is really bad in the bedroom and all but uncontrollable as the window doesn't open, it's a metal window frame and a single-glaze window at that. Obviously as it's getting colder it's starting to rain a lot more and even wiping the damp away it returns in a week.

The damp has spread across form the window now to parts of the wall which look to have been previously plastered over (you can see the cracks). The bedroom is noticeably colder and louder than the livingroom/kitchen too - almost as if the window isn't actually installed correctly.

There are also patches in my livingroom/kitchen area around the windows but nowhere near as severe as we can open the window here. Even so, having the window open in the current temperatures isn't ideal by any stretch.

I've reported the damp to my LL but what else can I do or can be done to counter it?
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: Uncontrollable damp - renting

Damp comes from many many places, and if it cant get out and be replaced by warm dry air, will always be a problem.

Washing hanging to dry indoors,,... showers and baths...... loads of wet coats and boots etc...all will create increasing levels of damp which, without warmth and a constant release of moisture to the outdoors will build and build

Opening windows can and will help, on dry days but clearly A) the windows need to open and B) the moisture needs to escape and not be replaced

Single glazed windows are cold, by their nature, and so moisture will condense upon them faster, and if it'd dried off and got rid of... it will HELP lower moisture levels in the room. But that's a constant job, and wiping with a towel that then stays in the building wont help, clearly. The towel just dries into the room, releasing it's moisture again.

I know this sounds excessive, but it's worth considering spending some money on a dehumidifier and emptying it regularly. It will cost purchase price plus electricity, but I have one in a small flat where moisture COULD have been an issue and it's been a godsend. Moreover when the bloke upstairs had a water leak, that dehumidifier helped dry my ceiling out in record time

It is used regularly in winter, when I run a shower or cook on the hob, and the sheer amount of moisture it extracts is astounding

It's not a cure to the problem... it's a removal of the moisture.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DC12...s=dehumidifier

that's what I mean.
    Then you also need warmth, ie a radiator.

But the dehumidifier creates a little heat and blows dry air out so if you position in against a wall it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

as an aside, I once visited a terraced old house in Nottingham which DID have uncontrollable damp.

the bloke who owned it had a permanent moisture issue, and eventually found he had... a basement full of water. A proper cellar, under the main living room... 3 feet deep in water. The door to it had been blocked and the floor boards he walked on, every day, were 6 feet above a lake.

that wouldn't get cured by a small dehumidifier.

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    as an aside, I once visited [..] Nottingham
    I try and avoid that where-ever possible

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

I had a similar problem sometime ago in a rented house, one particularly poorly insulated wall of my room would turn in to a mouldy waterfall during the winter. I complained to the landlady and asked for a dehumidifier, she bought one and I think it was pulling between 1-2L of water a day - for a small 2.5 x 2.2m room! Solved the damp problem though.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Damp comes from many many places, and if it cant get out and be replaced by warm dry air, will always be a problem...
    Appreciate the post. Already picked up a cheaper/smaller dehumidifier which is drawing about 250ml a day without rain. I don't know anyone with a larger one I could lend to see if going bigger/better would actually work.

In terms of heating we're a bit stuck too as they're crap storage heats which throw out hardly any heat relative to how much they must be costing. The actual heater itself is warm but you can't feel it at all unless you're touching it.

As you mention wiping down with a towel only moves the moisture around and obviously living in a flat, I have to dry my clothes in-doors (in the room with the window.)

I think there is another issue at play in the bedroom specifically because as I mention, it is noticeably colder and we have a plastic windowsill that extends beyond the window and there is a clear damp line above the plastic where the wall/plaster meets it.

I've informed the LL like I say - I'm just paranoid they are somehow going to try and spin it on me (cause and/or cost) rather than have someone come out and re-cover the paint with some sort of damp-resistant paint.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

As daft as it sounds put a fan in the room as well to move the air, it really does help. When I put the dehumidifier in the bathroom with the trickle extractor turned off and window shut to give it the best shot at drying the air and raising the room temp (refrigerant type dehumidifiers work best at 30 degrees c) it fills the water tank in 3-4 hours on a fresh wash when it took 8 hours with no fan moving air.
    Turn the fan on full what while you are out of the room and let it move the air round to help the dehumidifier.

Tbh you need a working window and by the sounds of it a trickle extractor fan. I fitted one in the bathroom to replace the one that ran for 5 mins after I turn the light out as the damp was a problem, now it isn't as the smart fan ramps up it it detects a lot of humidity, might be worth asking for one as you have to have one to meet new build regs now.

You need at least a 10lt dehumidifier if you are drying indoors, bite the bullet and get the one linked above, you wont regret it. (and a fan as the dehumidifier on it's own won't dry a bad wall unless you move it around all the time)

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

is there mould in the room?

Do you have any vulnerable occupants (young children/elderly)

If so hello environmental health officer, and an enforcement notice for improvement against your landlord.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Bedrooms are worse than other rooms as you give off a lot of moisture too. My other half had a flat where the bedroom was like this and it's a constant battle to deal with.

Try and keep your heating constant instead of on-demand. Temperature fluctuations cause condensation when the air cools. Condensation is what happens when water vapour held in the air cools enough to become solid water droplets. It's usually cold surfaces such as walls or windows that triggers this. So, as above, if your air isn't holding a lot of water then there is less to condense.

I'm not sure how much leeway you have being rented. But other things that can be done is boosting insulation (ultimately, external wall insulation, but that's a big expense). You can get insulating wallpaper that is better than nothing. You can also install secondary-glazing to single-pane glass which helps massively. And at the very minimum you can apply a removable thermal film to the glass which provides marginal gains.

If you get any mould, make sure you kill it, chemically, it's nasty stuff (both mould and the chemicals to kill it).

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    ... Do you have any vulnerable occupants (young children/elderly)

If so hello environmental health officer, and an enforcement notice for improvement against your landlord.
    Don't need vulnerable occupants; it sounds to me like the property doesn't provide adequate heating & ventilation, which are part of the essential requirements in a rented property. Your landlord might get away with claiming the storage heaters are adequate (although it sounds to me like they're not working properly if they're not actually heating the space effectively), but if the landlord doesn't take appropriate measures to try to sort the problem within a few weeks, it might be worth contacting the private housing team of your local authority anyway, just to get some advice and make them aware that you might have an issue.

If you want to stay on good terms with your landlord, why not ask them if they're willing to pay for a couple of space heaters (something like those little halogen ones, which are quite effective/efficient), that they can add to the inventory so they get left in the house when you move out...? Better heating is likely to at least alleviate some of the problem whilst they sort the ventilation out...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post

I've informed the LL like I say - I'm just paranoid they are somehow going to try and spin it on me (cause and/or cost) rather than have someone come out and re-cover the paint with some sort of damp-resistant paint.
    .. walls aren't supposed to get wet and painting them in yacht varnish indoors isn't the solution

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

who pays the elec?

If it's you, then it's time to ponder the best type of heating.

Im my experience of small rooms, the best sort as called skirting board heaters, and Glen make a superb one that's 500W and works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glen-500-W-...g+board+heater

I have to dry my clothes in-doors (in the room with the window.)
    drying clothes indoors is phenomenally bad for YOU. really bad. the moisture levels indoors from clothes drying will, over time, become more newsworthy.

In fact, you need to determine an experiment

Washing and drying in a launderette MAY be cheaper than running a dehumidifier and a big heater all day!

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

who pays the elec?

If it's you, then it's time to ponder the best type of heating.

Im my experience of small rooms, the best sort as called skirting board heaters, and Glen make a superb one that's 500W and works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glen-500-W-...g+board+heater
    Argos seem to have the same one for £40 - does that sound about right to you?

My Bedroom is about 12ftx12ft - do you think this will be hot enough to warm it and help alleviate the damp?

How would this compare to those oil based heaters you can get?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Argos seem to have the same one for £40 - does that sound about right to you?

My Bedroom is about 12ftx12ft - do you think this will be hot enough to warm it and help alleviate the damp?

How would this compare to those oil based heaters you can get?
    I have tried both and I prefer that little skirting heater, 100%

its v low.... but you must NOT block it

unlike the oil heaters, which are like a radiator, the little skirting heater needs airflow.

yes I think you have a very good chance it will radically help

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Ideally, put the heater under your window. Which is the normal placement of radiators. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works. The coldness from the window draws the hot air which creates movement which is very important for getting the rest of the room warm and not just having a warm spot.

Also having warm air next to the window will reduce condensation on the glass.

Yes, you'll lose heat out the window, but that's an insulation problem not an internal heating problem.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    Ideally, put the heater under your window. Which is the normal placement of radiators. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works. The coldness from the window draws the hot air which creates movement which is very important for getting the rest of the room warm and not just having a warm spot.
    exactly right.

cold air falls off the window.. it literally slithers down the glass and slides down the wall .... and hits a warm air rising.. and pushes into the room

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information