Thread: Custom Case I/O and MB placement

Thanks

Question Custom Case I/O and MB placement

Hi everyone

Not sure if this is the right place to post or not (mods, please move to the right place if not), but anyway, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC from being housed inside a DIY-ed cardboard box that I had lying around to being housed inside some wood/mdf I have lying around.

I'm wondering how to workout how I should go about properly placing the ITX motherboard so the i/o shield is flush against the back/inside of the case (the mdf is nearly two centimetres thick so, looking at it from the outside, the shield will be somewhat recessed, but that is not an issue for me. What I'm really asking is, what is the proper distance between the rear panel and the ITX holes in order for the i/o shield to fit properly?

If im not making myself clear, please say so

Also, I've tried googling this but so far I've not come across any answers for this question =/

Thanks

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Re: Custom Case I/O and MB placement

Here ya go;

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...s%5Catx2_2.PDF

Doesn't have ITX listed, but just reference the four ITX screw holes (C, F, H & J on p.10), everything including the expansion slots and I/O shield dimensions are the same.

3. Received thanks from:

Luke7 (13-06-2017)

Thanks

If you're planning to use expansion cards then you need to work out how that's going to screw in as well because the tab at the top sticks out further than the motherboard I/O shield so if you but the motherboard up against the case wall then screwing down the graphics card may be tricky.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    Here ya go;

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...s%5Catx2_2.PDF

Doesn't have ITX listed, but just reference the four ITX screw holes (C, F, H & J on p.10), everything including the expansion slots and I/O shield dimensions are the same.
    Thanks! Took me a long time to find the exact figure I needed but I got there!

For future reference holes C,B & A on Fig.3 (the holes along the back panel edge of ATX, mATX and ITX boards, where relevant) are .483 inches or 12.2682mm from the 'lip' of the i/o shield, meaning holes C,B & A should be placed that distance set back from the inside edge of the rear panel of the chassis itself (or marginally more, I will update if this figure needs to be amended though PLEASE note that I am using very imprecise measuring and cutting tools on this job so do NOT take these figures as gospel for CAD/CAM work)

Thread Information