Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many eggs can I eat a day safely?

m175400

Question How many eggs can I eat a day safely?

Hi there all.

I am a little confused. U gave me some helpful advice on protein, so let's hope u can do the same re eggs in general. I am baffled, to say the least.

Right...I'm no bodybuilder but I am trying to make sure I get a good amount of protein in my diet to aid my toning and crunches and pressups at the mo. I weigh about 154lb of which I reckon about 10% is fat if an average person male is apparently 15% fat. Anyway, that's a guestimate but the point in whichever way you look at it from what I can gather to build muscle ideally I should be taking in around 130g of protein a day.

Now, to do this I eat some muslie in the morning, and eggs during the day and some tuna or mackeral where I can and maybe some meat here and there too, preferably chicken. I have little idea if I am making that target to be honest. Eggs seem an easy solution - I boil about 5 at a time and stick them in the fridge and have them hard boiled as snacks. Apparently there's 6g of protein in the average egg, so at least they make a dent of sorts on my RDA. Then, to my horror this morning, I read:

"Keep in mind that the average egg yolk contains over two-thirds (213 mg) the recommended daily allowance (300 mg) of cholesterol. And that's no yolk!"

So, errr, am I supposed to eat no more than 1 egg a day!? Surely eggs can't be bad for you, my grandad feasted on them every day his whole life and was as fit as a man 20years his younger.

Please help!?

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    if you want the quick solution and this may not be to your tastes, but sack guzzle, yes the cholesterol is in the yolk but put 3 - 4 in a pint glass 1 hour before you train. When you go to train, doing your crunches or whatever you will burn off the fat in the eggs and you will get the protein from the whites.

Thing is don't sit there and have 3 - 4 eggs each time you train if you do it more than once a day. Its horrible the first time you sack guzzle but you get used to it after a while, I used to do it a while back when I was hitting the weights again to get ready for going back to rugby.

Thanks
    Not sure on the latest medical thinking, as it seems to change almost daily, but egg yolks are high in cholesterol. It sounds as that really isn't going to be a problem as you are very active and are getting a good amount of fibre in your diet.

Its true that the vast amount of the egg white is protein, but an egg white omelette is just about the nastiest thing on the planet. I would say that as you are burning higher than the average amount of calories, and as long as you're doing cardio stuff as well as weights, the cholesterol won't be a problem.

Of course, if you're worried, why not go for a cholesterol test?

btw, I'm not dissing you're grandad, but we all know someone who bucks the trend as far as health things go.... my grandad smoked 40 a day and lived for ages... smoking killed him in the end though.... he stopped in the high street to light up and was hit by a bus. (boom, boom!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    http://www.thincs.org/

Pretty much what I've thought (albeit with less of an idea why) for a long time. Simply put, slim, fit, non-smokers just don't tend to have heart attacks, whatever they eat. As far as I can see it, you could have loads of lipids swilling about in your blood, but as long as your blood pressure is normal and your heart and arteries are healthy, it's not going to stick to anything.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    Aren't you supposed to eat 50?

m175400
    Eat 50 eggs a day?

lol

Thanks for the feedback guys

Yeah...good point re my Grandad, very true of course. Ironically he died a few weeks back of lung cancer - aside from that he was 81, hitting the gym 3 times a week, riding a moped and I wouldn't start a fight with him even at that age. He smoked all day every day from 12yrs-79, quit and died less than two years later <g>. My whole health thing kicked off when I quit smoking about 2 months ago. He got diagnosed and was dead 1 1/2 weeks later. U joke about the street thing, but check this....his mate who was a fellow seaman all his life died of lung cancer too in February. He went to hospital for a routine check and was in perfect health, came outside and got knocked down by a car by the entrance, literally. Went inside for x-rays although again, he seemed fine. Next thing, they spot tumour in his lungs on the x-ray and he too was dead within a fortnight.

Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did, I'm only 22 but I feel so alive - I couldn't have been at all active in comparison, now every day I feel full of energy and above all my horrific sweating stopped once I quit too - something doctors didn't even attribute to smoking for years. Bizarre.

Ramble ramble - thanks again tho all! Will try the eggs before training thing. I take it you mean raw and mix them up with a whisk or something? Excuse my ignorance - errr, do you guys who eat eggs raw tend to go for the organic solution then for safety's sake? I eat free range and having switched to eating less but better of late I have come to appreciate the taste in organic foor a lot more than I used to and notice just what the difference in quality of most food products really is.

Thanks
    lol, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic about the getting hit in the street thing, was just an example of there always being exceptions to the rule... as you pointed out!

81 is a good innings, I'd be glad to hit that!

btw, as an aside. Blueberries are supposed to be the best possible fruit to eat as they contain the most anti-oxidants as well as some other stuff I have totally forgotten that is very good for you.

(of course, tomorrow we'll find that smoking is ok and eating fibre isn't)

Also, men who erm... ejaculate... daily are up to 75% less likely to get prostrate cancer.... best excuse I've heard yet... "Come on, sweetheart.... you'll be saving my life""
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard
    Also, men who erm... ejaculate... daily are up to 75% less likely to get prostrate cancer.... best excuse I've heard yet... "Come on, sweetheart.... you'll be saving my life""
    I'll give that a try, but I suspect that the wife won't be swayed unless I've broken both my hands.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    tut tut utter filth in here

It used to be reccomended that you "go to work on an egg" nowadays 1-2 a week is the reccomended inatke though tbh they change their minds every day dont they. If you looking to bulk up a bit then apparetly omega 3 rich fish such as mackrel is the way to go, i read that in a health mag so it should be right, stuff like mackrel

Thanks
    • mark22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 extreme4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC16000
      • Storage:
      • Crucial C300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 oc
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" LED
    If you're going to drink them raw then just take the yolks out with a spoon first and drink the whites. If you can stomach it. I know plenty of people who do this so I don't think salmonella or anything is much of a problem anymore. But a few egg yolks a week are still good for you but probably not 5 a day.

Thanks
    What? No Paul Newman fans?

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    My mate is a body builder, he's on 4-6 a day - mixes them in his protein shakes (utter MINGING) - he goes to the gym everyday and is built like a tank. But I dont think it's just the eggs!

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey M@a
    if you want the quick solution and this may not be to your tastes, but sack guzzle, yes the cholesterol is in the yolk but put 3 - 4 in a pint glass 1 hour before you train. When you go to train, doing your crunches or whatever you will burn off the fat in the eggs and you will get the protein from the whites.

Thing is don't sit there and have 3 - 4 eggs each time you train if you do it more than once a day. Its horrible the first time you sack guzzle but you get used to it after a while, I used to do it a while back when I was hitting the weights again to get ready for going back to rugby.

I used to do that when I was a fitness freak. Though I used to mix 4 eggs with half a pint of milk and two tea spoons of sugar - whisk it up and pour it down. Tastes alot nicer than plain eggs.

Thanks

Re: How many eggs can I eat a day safely?

It depends on which egg you are eating.

Fish eggs: up to 100 (if fish size is around one foot)

Hen/Duck : up to 4
    Last edited by ravistrs; 11-04-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: I felt bad

15. Received thanks from:

Clunk (20-04-2008),LWA (11-04-2008),mycarsavw (11-04-2008),tiggerai (11-04-2008)

LWA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ravistrs View Post
    It depends on which egg you are eating.

Dinosaurs egg : 1/50

Fish eggs: up to 100 (if fish size is around one foot) Do not try to eat whale's egg

Frog eggs : up to 75

Hen/Duck : up to 4

Elephant egg: 1/60

Donkey egg: 1/18

Do not try to eat monkey's egg. It is my experience.
    Fair play to you sir for registering just to post that

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Almost a 4 year bump too - is that a record?
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information