Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutribullet

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Nutribullet

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    It won't, though.

As per long post earlier, cheap blenders rely on sharp blades. Expensive ones, and smaller but still relatively pricey ones like nutribullet use blunt blades, and rely on sheer grunt from powerful motors.

My big blender blends just about anything, including blender-wreckers like ice, or celery with the tough thready bits on the outside left in.

There's even a demonstration video (originally done with a Blentec blender, but Vitamix machines have been used too) where they demonstrate 'blend anything' by blending iPhones. Don't try that with your £20 Tesco job unless you're finished with it.
    Ah I did wonder why the price was so inflated for what essentially appeared to be a blender. thanks for clearing that up

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oriforc View Post
    Ah I did wonder why the price was so inflated for what essentially appeared to be a blender. thanks for clearing that up
    It's really about the sheer power. Want almond milk? Blend almonds and water. Want rice flour? Blend rice. Want hot cheese sauce? Blend cheese, milk, maybe flour. It comes out piping hot, but it's just due to friction, there's no heater element involved. Want peanut butter? Blend peanuts, and nothing but. Compare to the ingredient list on a shop-bought jar. Want less salty peanut butter, use unsalted peanuts and add the salt you want. Want soup? Chuck in the ingredients you want, blend for 6 - 10 minutes, piping jot soup with NOTHING but fresh ingredients. Want smoothies? Blend vegetables, fruit, water, ice, maybe cashew nuts for creaminess. Want ice cream, blend frozen fruit, cream and maybe a little honey.

That's the tip of the iceberg. A few brief pulses, and they chop. A bit more and they can create sauces, or a pesto. Blend frozen stuff, like fruit, with yoghurt, get frozen yoghurt. Same machine creates ice cream in a minute or two, or hot dip, sauces etc in under 10. Hot chocolate dip, maybe. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of variants.

But things that will blunt and wreck cheap blenders with sharp blades, won't blunt these because they start out blunt, and blend by, if you like, smashing stuff apart using VERY high speeds, and very powerful motors. Yet, they still put a 20-year warranty on the motors. They're expensive, but versatile, powerful, and built to last and last. Like my Kenwood chef mixer - bought, IIRC, in 1971. It's now showing it's age a bit, but it is, after all, some 44 years old.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by Oriforc View Post
    It's kind of like I posted in the kitchen gadgets thread - if you're going to buy a tool, buy the best tool you can afford, and note that, with kitchen gadgets in particular, you do get what you pay for, especially on the high and low ends.

Registered+
    Thanks

It's really about the sheer power. Want almond milk? Blend almonds and water. Want rice flour? Blend rice. Want hot cheese sauce? Blend cheese, milk, maybe flour. It comes out piping hot, but it's just due to friction, there's no heater element involved. Want peanut butter? Blend peanuts, and nothing but. Compare to the ingredient list on a shop-bought jar. Want less salty peanut butter, use unsalted peanuts and add the salt you want. Want soup? Chuck in the ingredients you want, blend for 6 - 10 minutes, piping jot soup with NOTHING but fresh ingredients. Want smoothies? Blend vegetables, fruit, water, ice, maybe cashew nuts for creaminess. Want ice cream, blend frozen fruit, cream and maybe a little honey.

That's the tip of the iceberg. A few brief pulses, and they chop. A bit more and they can create sauces, or a pesto. Blend frozen stuff, like fruit, with yoghurt, get frozen yoghurt. Same machine creates ice cream in a minute or two, or hot dip, sauces etc in under 10. Hot chocolate dip, maybe. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of variants.

But things that will blunt and wreck cheap blenders with sharp blades, won't blunt these because they start out blunt, and blend by, if you like, smashing stuff apart using VERY high speeds, and very powerful motors. Yet, they still put a 20-year warranty on the motors. They're expensive, but versatile, powerful, and built to last and last. Like my Kenwood chef mixer - bought, IIRC, in 1971. It's now showing it's age a bit, but it is, after all, some 44 years old.

Wow that's nearly convinced me to buy one

Thanks

I have a vitamix and that thing was worth every penny. We got it from costco online, it comes with way more accessories for the price that way. Never had or heard of the others.

I will add that it is easy to clean, powerful, with the different accessories you can do wet or dry goods. We make almund flower among other things with it. Smoothies come out great. Does everything we need it to do very well.
    Last edited by gni2; 15-11-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks

Time to unpack my Nutribullet from moving boxes - had not thought to make peanut butter with it.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snedger View Post
    Time to unpack my Nutribullet from moving boxes - had not thought to make peanut butter with it.
    Just to be clear, mine isn't a Nutribullet. It's a big blender. The basic principles are the same (blunt blades, powerful motor) so I don't know why a Nutribullet couldn't do peanut butter.

BUT .... the difference may be in the shape of the blender 'jug', and that my Vitamix comes with a 'tamper' that you can use to push stubborn material (like peanuts) around to help turn them into the sort-of emulsion that is peanut butter. And you do use it to make peanut butter. The jug shape may also vary the way contents are directed onto the blades. Nutribullet might not suit peanut butter.

The Vitamix type blenders do make superb peanut butter, mainly because it's 100% peanuts, and absolutely nothing else, unless you choose to add it. It uses the oil naturally in the nuts.

I know Nutribullet has a heavy duty motor but not having one, I don't know if it's heavy enough for peanut butter. Please check it out before risking frying your Nutribullet.

Thanks
    • ceejays88's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro
      • Storage:
      • Vertex 3 SSD 256GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 290
      • PSU:
      • ocz 700w modxstream pro
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Chaser A31
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 ProN
      • Monitor(s):
      • 55in 4k samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre pro 76Mb D/l 28Mb U/l

Time to start saving.... my nutribullet has been great but recently shot its springs everywhere

Thanks

The NutriBullet is great, but please only buy from reputable sellers (e.g. Costco, Argos etc) because there are a lot of dangerous, non-authorised and fake NutriBullet's being sold offline and online.

One of NutriBuller's main claims is that it keeps the nutrients from 'stems, seeds and skins where some of the usually neglected essential nutrition lies....'

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah, I have a Nutribullet and blend daily. My default is a whole banana, couple hands full of strawberries (with the stalks still on), a whole carrot, handful of black kale, some khia seeds and a bit of water. Supposedly good for energy levels but I don't know about that, still tired all the time lol.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Bought the Sage Boss to Go from John Lewis for smoothie making. I have to say, while its a bit more expensive, it was worth getting. The cups even come with To Go lids so make smoothie, put into bag, gross everyone out on the train with your morning green smoothie

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Pardon the pun but I am about to bite the bullet on one of these.....

Any recommendations for the best one under £500 (possibly £600).....will want to make almond flour, soups etc.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I went for Vitamix. I don't remember model number (can look it up when I'm at home) , but it's not one with "programs". Essentially, the controls are :-

On/Off switch - on, to blend, and blip the switch to pulse.

Speed - 1 to 10. This one's there the skill lies. On 1, it's basic chopping, and the faster you go ypu can work though things like hummous, guacamole, sauces, etc.

High/low - On high, the speed control is overridden and you go into NOISY max blend mode. A few minutes on that and ypu have hot vheese saucr, hot soups, etc.

There is at least one other long-standing high-end make, Blendtec, and I considered it but eventually went Vitamix for a couple of reasons. One was availability in UK. Vitamix is (or was, at least) stocked by John Lewis and I'm often in there. Also, very good warranty. Finally, Vitamix were tunning a promotion with a free "dry goods" jug. This is for blending things like grains into flour, and while you can do so in the msin jug, both the design of bkades and shape of container are designed for dry rather than liquid contents. It changes the way the blades throw blended material about. Buying that separatrly was about £120, so getting one free swung the deal.

Therd are several cheaper variants. One I think is called Ninja, and there's also one heavily promoted by some brash US "chef". They both APPEAR to offer similar to Vitamix and Blendtec at much lower prices butcI've no idea whether they deliver or not. Maybe they do, but I went for the Vitamix despite the price. I have no regrets ahout that. It's superb .... though VERY noisy on full speed. If I'm in the same room, perhaps vooking pasta while it's doing a hot sauce, I have been known to wear earplugs. Seriously, I have.

Edit - John Lewis do still stock Vitamix but a quick look doesn't show the one I got. It's on the vitamix UK site, though.

14. Received thanks from:

shaithis (05-10-2016)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Oh, and it's tall, too. If you're planning on locating it under wall-mounted cupboards, it probably won't fit with the standard jug on top of the base. The jug is 34cm tall on it's own, without the motor base. I leave the smaller dry goods jug on the base with the bigger wet goods jug beside it.

At £500, you're talking about full-sized blenders, not Nutribullets, which are MUCH smaller. From memory, I think my standard container is about 2.0 litre. It certainly can make an 8-portion smoothie in one go.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Cheers, after procrastinating for hours last night, I eventually went for the Pro 300 plus a dry jug
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I won't pretend I didn't dither about a fair bit too because, after all, it's a fair bit of money for a "blender", and I'm sure a lot of people will think you've lost the plot.

For me, the critical thing is whether it'll get regular use. If it will, then you paid a high-end price to get a high-end device that should give years and years of solid service. There is, after all, a reason lots of restaurants and coffee shops, etc, use these.

I use mine for lots of things, and I've barely scratched the surface.

If, and I stress IF you put in the effort to get to know it and use it regularly, you'll never regret buying. But if you don't, it'll be a bulky, expensive kitchen doorstop and you'll find yourself on the list of those that think you lost the plot,

So, bite the bullet and use it. Lots.

Have fun.

Thread Information