Thread: I need a new toaster

Spreadie

I need a new toaster

I need a new toaster.

After my Kenwood toaster packed up a few years ago (after 10+ years flawless service), we've had a series of budget priced crap e.g. morphy richards and supermarket generic types. I'm sick of putting up with unevenly toasted bread, and "pick a setting and roll the dice" browning control. I'd also like something that doesn't feel like it's about to collapse when you push the lever down (Russell Hobbs I'm looking at you).

So, I'm after a decent, but not shockingly expensive four slice (2+2) job. My mate has a lovely Waring model, but I can't live without re-heat and frozen bread features so they are out.

I have seen a Dualit model for around £75-£80, and I know they're good quality but I'm wavering at the thought of coughing up £80 for a toaster.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dave

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: I need a new toaster

I too have looked at those Dualits, though at that price, that'll be the basic ones. I looked at ones closer to double that.

Currently, I have a DeLonghi four-slice. Can it toast evenly? Can it hell. And it was £50-ish.

If I could be SURE those Dualits could toast properly, I might even grit my teeth and pay it, despite it being daylight robbery for a toaster. But do they? Dunno.

Personally, I WOULD be looking for a decent length slot - I'm fed up with larger slices not fitting. Also, I'm not convinced that heating elements on one side only ever works well.

But I'm inclined to think that the best toast (short of an open fire) comes from a proper grill, and a gas one at that. I've yet to get really good toast from an electric toaster.

Oh, and obviously, decent bread too, not supermarket cheap cardboard bread.

I'd be interested to know what you end up picking, and what you think of it.

Oh, and Spreadie, check the mains cable length. The tight gits at Delonghi gave me about 18 inches, which is not really enough to get the toaster where I want it, given socket location.

3. Received thanks from:

Spreadie

I was just looking at the DeLonghi toasters. I'm going to drive out to Currys tomorrow to and have a poke and prod at some models - I can't pitch up with a loaf of bread, but can quickly eliminate the cheap rattling flimsy affairs. One with wide slots is a plus too, for those home-baked doorsteps.

I hadn't considered the length of the cable but, fortunately, our toaster sits directly in front of a mains outlet.

I've been speaking to SWMBO and, surprisingly, she's not bothered about losing the defrost function; so those Waring models could be back on the table.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

dualits are ok, if you want a perfect slice you need to warm the thing up as the 1st slice is always browner on the top. It has lasted us years and not put a foot out of place. and on the plus side, you can buy all the spares. The elements in the better models (no idea about the coloured ones) are protected by a clear panel so that alone stops the main cause of element failure as nothing can contact them. would I buy another dualit one, even after the problems I had with the crappy dualit hand mixer I can say I would. Still a better slice on its 1st run than anything else I use. Just stick it on for 30 seconds 1st if you are anal about a 100% brown slice.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

6. Received thanks from:

Saracen (23-03-2014)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a Dual it 4 slot model, cost around £110 10 years ago, which was a bit eye-watering at the time - but still going strong, and when the elements do eventually fail, they are replaceable.

No automatic sensors, no electronics, gizmos or anything else, just a mechanical timer that gives great repeat ability,

It does need a bit of 'calibration' with different types and thicknesses of bread, but it is as happy with bread from the freezer as it is with bread fresh from the breadmaker, supermarket or bakery.

You van get them with wider slots for sandwich toasting too, if that floats your boat.

I like them!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I can recommend this DeLonghi 4 slice thingy. Bought it as a gift for a relative and it's been praised very highly ever since.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

I find half-toasting then turning the bread over and finishing helps somewhat with the uneven toasting problem. Still not found a good toaster though and I don't really want to spend £100+ on the chance of something being good.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badsyntax View Post
    I can recommend this DeLonghi 4 slice thingy. Bought it as a gift for a relative and it's been praised very highly ever since.
    It's very similar to the one I have, though not quite the same .... and I certainly wouldn't recommend mine, or buy another one.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I truly cant assist with the toaster.. I am simply posting here to show my new forum signature

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

12. Received thanks from:

Tumble (27-03-2014)

Spreadie

epic

Thread Information