• Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Lets talk vino from Aldi and Lidl

Lo people

I've been buying my vino from the cheap boys since December and I've had some great bottles :-)

Any that you suggest that are in stock regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Lets talk vino from Aldi and Lidl

Currently sat in bed with a large glass of Aldi's Toro Loco (a tempranillo) - it's one of their standard reds, and it's pretty reliable - a couple of years ago they had a very good year with it, the last couple of been OK but not as good.

Hard to go wrong with most of the ~ £4 Aldi wines, particularly the reds.

Banned
    Thanks

Cant go wrong with Aldi. Everything from the cheap beer to the Whiskey is fine.

At it's price (other than stupid offers) you can't buy better.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

We've had a couple of bottles of the cremant de loire fizz, not the best you'll ever have but easily as nice as stuff twice the price with a prosecco sticker on.

The muscadet is generally pretty reliable as well.

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

Well, seeing as you could get some really quality wine in Spain for £3, stuff you'd expect to pay £8 here, then I wouldn't have said it's super amazing quality. That being said, all alcohol is generally cheaper in Spain, so it's not a fair comparison.

If I hadn't have lived in Spain, then I'd have said that some of the wines Lidl and Aldi offer are really not bad.

Their beer isn't bad either
    XBOX Live - Sheep Sardine | Origin - MrRockliffe | Steam - MrRockliffe |

Add me

Bagnaj97

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but their mulled wine is nice at Christmas and is reduced at the moment!

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

oh this thread got popular fast

good calls

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

I drink Aldi's Andara quite often and enjoy it.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I've never bought any wine from either Aldi or Lidl, and am unlikely to buy any from Lidl. Why? Because our nearest Lidl is about 6 miles away, and I rarely go there.

I've never yet bought any from Aldi either, mainly because the only wine I've bought in, oh, 20 years, has been for cooking. So far, I've been guided by the wine department manager at my local Waitrose, who has yet to steer me wrong, and I end up with something suitable at about £6 to £7. As that happens, oh, twice a year or so, I'm not going to get terribly excited about potential savings.

In principle, though, I'd have no qualms about Aldi/Lidl wine. If I drank wine, I'd try it. I [i]wouldn't[] buy just because it's cheap, but if I like it, then being cheap wouldn't put me off Aldi/Lidl wine just because it's cheap, any more than I'd be put off anything else they did based on price. Provided I liked it, the cheaper the better.

I would, however, as with most foodstuffs, rather pay more either for quality, or taste (or, often, both, as they tend to go hand-in-hand with many foodstuffs) IF doing so is necessary to get good quality. For instance, good bacon, or even (maybe especially) sausages. I won't touch cheap supermarket sausages, or pies. I'll either make them myself, or get them from a local butcher that, first, makes them himself, and second, I've known for about 39 years.

My logic on wine-buying would be the same, if I bought more than occassionally, which I don't.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I've never bought any wine from either Aldi or Lidl, and am unlikely to buy any from Lidl. Why? Because our nearest Lidl is about 6 miles away, and I rarely go there.

I've never yet bought any from Aldi either, mainly because the only wine I've bought in, oh, 20 years, has been for cooking. So far, I've been guided by the wine department manager at my local Waitrose, who has yet to steer me wrong, and I end up with something suitable at about £6 to £7. As that happens, oh, twice a year or so, I'm not going to get terribly excited about potential savings.

In principle, though, I'd have no qualms about Aldi/Lidl wine. If I drank wine, I'd try it. I [i]wouldn't[] buy just because it's cheap, but if I like it, then being cheap wouldn't put me off Aldi/Lidl wine just because it's cheap, any more than I'd be put off anything else they did based on price. Provided I liked it, the cheaper the better.

I would, however, as with most foodstuffs, rather pay more either for quality, or taste (or, often, both, as they tend to go hand-in-hand with many foodstuffs) IF doing so is necessary to get good quality. For instance, good bacon, or even (maybe especially) sausages. I won't touch cheap supermarket sausages, or pies. I'll either make them myself, or get them from a local butcher that, first, makes them himself, and second, I've known for about 39 years.

My logic on wine-buying would be the same, if I bought more than occassionally, which I don't.
    The point being that lidl/aldi tend to have less common/smaller vineyards/grapes/areas which are good quality but not generally available for supermarkets. As it happens Aldis at leas(not tried lidl) bacon and sausages are both much better than any of the other supermarkets I've tried. Booths £6/pack nonsense notwithstanding.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    The point being that lidl/aldi tend to have less common/smaller vineyards/grapes/areas which are good quality but not generally available for supermarkets. As it happens Aldis at leas(not tried lidl) bacon and sausages are both much better than any of the other supermarkets I've tried. Booths £6/pack nonsense notwithstanding.
    I don't want to distract from the subject by going off on any more of a tangent than I have, but the sausages/pies point was that, getting them from the person making them, I KNOW what goes in, because I can stand and watch it made ... that being, local butcher, or farm shop.

As for wine, I take your point, but mine was I don't really care, because all I use it for is cooking. I don't tend to buy cheap plonk for cooking. My stance is I cook with something I'd be prepared to drink (if I drank wine) ... or serve guests, if I did. The nuances of smaller vineyards etc, however true, is utterly irrelevant to me, but picking up one or two bottles a year, while doing a regular shop, isn't. I don't buy enough wine to care about differences, as long as I can get what I want with minimal fuss, which means the brand I normally get, at the place I know I can get it. If I go to Aldi/Lidl etc, or anywhere rlse gor that matter, I'm back to square one trying to identify what will work best for what I want, whereas sticking to a known quantity means I just pick up a bottle and carry on shopping. It takes me 5 seconds to choose.

As I don't drink the stuff anyway, it's not worth the hassle of worrying about Aldi/Lidl. It's not worth it for specific wines, and it's sure not worth it for the cost saving.

Thanks

Why are you posting in this thread Saracen? You clearly have no interest in drinking it which is exactly what this discussion is about :/.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Why are you posting in this thread Saracen? You clearly have no interest in drinking it which is exactly what this discussion is about :/.
    Why do you think it's your right to tell me where to post?

It's a discussion forum. People post if they want to. Including me.

Thanks

Why do you think it's your right to tell me where to post?

It's a discussion forum. People post if they want to. Including me.
    I never said it was my right to tell you where to post, this is a clearly a discussion about wines from Aldi & Lidl and you have 0 interest in either ?

Anyway, I've only ever tried one red from Lidl and I didn't enjoy it, I can't remember what it was called though :/.
    Last edited by Cornholio; 02-02-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I never said it was my right to tell you where to post, this is a clearly a discussion about wines from Aldi & Lidl and you have 0 interest in either ?
    Then why do you think I owe you any explanation or justification of where, when or why I post?

I post because I felt like it, but I'm sick and tired of people asking me why I post. So, because I felt like it, if that's okay with you. Though, when people ask things like that, it makes me wonder why I bother. Or whether to continue to bother.

Bagnaj97

Then why do you think I owe you any explanation or justification of where, when or why I post?

I post because I felt like it, but I'm sick and tired of people asking me why I post. So, because I felt like it, if that's okay with you. Though, when people ask things like that, it makes me wonder why I bother. Or whether to continue to bother.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere. It's in your sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information