Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone doing sous vide cooking?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anyone doing sous vide cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by snedger View Post
    but having the cooker run for 72 hours just has me thinking about electric costs
    If the insulation is good, and you've stopped water evaporating the running costs are very low really. I put the power measuring thing on it and found that taking tap water up to 55°C took more power than running it at that temp for 3 days. I now use the hot tap, as the cold water tap is really damn cold at the moment.

I would say compared to the cost of a good sealer bag, which iirc was 12p for the 20x30cm, the electricity cost is quite low it shouldn't take 10kWh.

I have the Rubbermaid 11.4L Clear Space Saving Container with it's lid. When dremelling the whole I took great care so that it's an almost perfect seal against the plastic base of the Anova. It's not airtight, but it's certainly appears to be water tight even at 85°C. I put it on a bunch of rubber trivets, and leave it under the boiler, which is one of the naturally warmer spots of my flat.

Care should be taken to make a good "seal" on the top. Otherwise if you are doing a hot cook you will coat the ceiling or the kitchen unit above in condensation, not great.

I hear that the £5 "pan lid organiser" from IKEA does a great job as a separation rack. But I've yet to work up the courage to brave visiting IKEA!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Went out to source ingredients for pistachio kofte kebab - gave up when couldn't get that exotic minced lamb.
    Supermarket had ready made koftes, so gave it a go.
    Topped and tailed the kebabs so that the skewers were not making contact with the bag.
    60C for an hour, which went on a bit longer, so not really sure how long.
    Placed the kebabs on a layer of finely sliced cherry tomatoes and spinach, poured over the juices in the bag. Grilled 5 minutes each side, just to get some colour in to the lamb.
    Bought Lancashire oven bottom muffins (6 reduced to 28p) instead of a flat bread, served with cucumber and yoghurt dip.
    Unbelievably delicious and tender.

Thanks

Just made this salmon, it's amazingly good!

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-104-f-classic

Thanks

Has anyone had any luck buying meat ready vacuum sealed and suitable for sous vide?
    No local butcher will vacuum seal at all and all of the online retailers that I've asked, have stated that their packaging is not suitable for sous vide.
    But, I had a thought - the reply I received today from an online food firm stated that their vacuum packaging was too thin for sous vide - if I was put that sealed packaging, untouched, into sousvide packaging and seal that, then I would be able to buy marinated or bloody meats without having to worry about juices being pulled in to my ordinary, not chamber, sealer.
    Not sure if the double wrap will affect cooking times - will have to experiment.

Thanks

Double wrap wouldn't impact time by any real amount.

Myself I've never worried about juices etc going into my ordinary sealer, I just wipe it down with anti-bac if it does happen. It's too much price to pay to not control the aromatics to rely on everything being pre-sealed.

The most "fun" I've had playing the press the seal button quickly game was making this:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...ney-glazed-ham

Highly recommend btw, dirt cheap too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information