Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: I always hear 16gb memory is an overkill - but why ?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: I always hear 16gb memory is an overkill - but why ?

Quote Originally Posted by dulcificum View Post
    ... remember, this is a very conservative usage scenario ...
    There I completely disagree. Your usage scenario is extraordinarily memory hungry compared to the vast majority of PC users. Most people aren't running VMs, aren't editing "a few streams of 1080p video", aren't firing up Premier Pro / Adobe CS 6 all the time. Most people check their email and facebook and watch youtube videos, or run outlook and MS Word in an office environment. I work with large Access front ends and SQL server databases, plus quite often run a VM for alternative OS/Browser/Office version testing (and occasionally fire up Visual Studio). I rarely see over 4GB of usage even then. I've run similar loads on machines with 4GB quite happily, without noticing any obvious slow down (although I'm not complaining about having more memory on my current machine, as it means I can up the RAM on my VMs ). The fact that the vast majority of people commenting on this thread - who by their association with Hexus can be assumed to be at the more demanding end of the user scale - seem to find your tab usage and memory load unusually high should tell you something.

Your usage is *not* conservative. And for the vast majority of people, 4GB of RAM is more than enough, just as a basic 2GHz dual core CPU is enough, and basic Intel integrated graphics is enough. None of that precludes some users needing more powerful hardware (you don't need to read too far back in this thread to find me describing one example in a previous job), but it does mean that it can be hard to understand how those edge cases occur - even for those of us with plenty of experience. To be running a web browser in such a way as to consume 7GB of RAM on its own is such a huge outlier it's understandable that many are incredulous at it.

Thanks

Most people don't build their own PCs. I thought a thread like this on a forum like this was aimed at those sort of people where video editing and VMs are much more common.

Not to mention the number of regular people with YouTube accounts who edit their videos before uploading.

In any case I meant conservative compared to what's usual for me not the average PC user. Only two years ago I made do with 2 gigs for a while but it's going to be more and more common for people to find 8GB insufficient and especially the sorts of people threads like this are aimed at.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Not to mention the number of regular people with YouTube accounts who edit their videos before uploading.
    *shrugs* we do our home YouTube editing on a machine with 4GB RAM - CPU speed is more important it seems.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Most people don't build their own PCs. I thought a thread like this on a forum like this was aimed at those sort of people where video editing and VMs are much more common.
    Most of the people posting in this thread are of the opinion that 4GB is just about enough, 8GB is plenty, and 16GB is overkill. If this thread isn't aimed at the people who are posting to it (me included), then I'd like to know who it is meant to be aimed at!

Plenty of people have pointed out that they edit videos or run VMs and are more than happy with 4GB or 8GB. Yet you seem to be insisting that this is impossible. In a not dissimilar way to the behaviour you were talking about when you said "But it's silly when people act all incredulous as though it's a physical impossibility."

You need more than 8GB of RAM. That's fair enough. But the reason people say 16GB is overkill, is because - regardless of whether a thread like this is "aimed" at them or not - most people don't use anywhere near that much memory.

Thanks

I understand and accept that. However, the number of hobbyists working with video is only going to grow and I would honestly like to see how people can edit videos with just 4GB. In general, I wouldn't be surprised to hear people changing their tune.

I freshly rebooted my system the other day. Currently have "only" 20 tabs open taking up 3.4GB memory and a further 4.4GB virtual memory. On Chrome, Gmail, GPU and Browser alone take up 1.5GB. And many people need multiple Gmail tabs (I only ever have 1 or 2). Any page with video on it takes up at least 100MB. And I just tried downloaded a dozen files from mediafire which locked up my computer with 100% CPU and 100% RAM for about 15 minutes.

This might not be "normal" behaviour but it's not too many deviations off these days...

Thanks

OK, so I'm happy with the discussion that for most users 16GB's of memory would not be used. You'd be left with a £50-odd stick of RAM hanging off your motherboard doing nothing (please no trolls stating the obvious that PC use with 2x8GB the memory would be distributed between the 2 sticks....)

Looking at this the other way: Are there any ways, such as RAM Disk, that "most users" could in some way eek out more performance from their PC's with the incorporation of this much RAM?

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

One thing about having 8GB as 2x4GB is that I hate having free space left. I could do with spending 400 quid on aesthetics. I'd sell CPU to get Haswell for a black motherboard, sell motherboard, RAM and case. Only problem is RAM is really expensive at the moment. Stupidly so.
    XBOX Live - Sheep Sardine | Origin - MrRockliffe | Steam - MrRockliffe |

Add me

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by ajones View Post
    Looking at this the other way: Are there any ways, such as RAM Disk, that "most users" could in some way eek out more performance from their PC's with the incorporation of this much RAM?
    Unlikely. What are you going to put in the RAM disk? Now factor in the time to copy it there and the time to save it back out.....

I am sure a very small group of people do something very specific on a regular basis that could make it worthwhile.....but instead of wasting £50 and faffing around with a 8GB RAM disk, you might as well buy a 60GB SSD.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

If you plan to video edit then you should get 16gb but for gaming and most others it's just a waste of money

Thanks

Here's an example: BRAND NEW install of Windows 7 Ultimate. Running Chrome with three tabs (including this one). Gmail and YouTube ONLY.

Just that takes up 1.5GB of memory!

Splash

Windows 8.1 with 8 Chrome windows open (none of them Youtube) as well as a smattering of other apps (Spotify, GoogleDrive, Malwarebytes, Gamefly, AIDA64, GoG.Com Downloader, Kies, VMware Workstation (though no VMs), Acronis True Image etc etc etc

3.8Gb in use.

8Gb would be absolutely fine for my needs were it not for VMware Workstation: I use it for nested ESXi for lab work (along with my *proper* lab) and for testing designs out, and as such I'm rocking 32Gb of RAM in this box. I'm a niche use case, as it seems are you.

Also bear in mind that memory not being used is wasted memory. You get no benefit from having a massive overhead of RAM available to use.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it depends how many you have open and how you browse, for instance one my desktop, I've got a lot of screen real estate, so often I'll have 30+ browser windows open. It often starts when I have a problem or something, I end up doing a quick search, I get maybe 6 blogs or SO links come up, out of those I'll then refer to documentation or similar which will result in new tabs opened.

Then they will stay open for a while as I go and program up a version of what I've just been reading about.

My desktop has 24gb of RAM, this was due to some research I was doing on fairly large data sets. But it is very useful legacy.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • glomper99's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked W/ ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM

I personally have 16GB simply because it was only £10 more at the time of purchase over the same 8GB kit, and it means that it's able to run more intensive applications as and when I need it to.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • robredz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A97 Evo Rev 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8350
      • Memory:
      • !6 Gb (4 x 4) Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Ix Toshiba Sata 3 3 Tb, 1 X WD Sata 3 500 TGb, 1 x Maxtor Sata 3 1 Tb 2 x 200 Gb Maxtor Sata 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY Nvidia 760 2 Gb
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850 Watt Core edition
      • Case:
      • Casecom CS 13
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu Studio X64 Dual Boot with Windows 7 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 X Dell U2311H

I will be upgrading from 16 Gb to 32 Gb as soon as the price comes down a bit, it is better for video editing to have as much RAM as posssible,

Thanks

Just for another datapoint, I had 6GB of RAM taken up just by five Gmail tabs and two YouTube tabs recently. With just 8GB that leaves hardly anything for extensions and the OS, let alone running any other programs/browsers.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

How do you switch between and manage 70+ tabs ?
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information