Thread: Over my head with this Flaming Blade!!

Thanks

Cool Over my head with this Flaming Blade!!

I am as lost as they come.. I recently came into possession of a Flaming Blade Motherboard,and decided to make me a gammer, cause I really love simulation games,specifically flying.. So.. I have this board with a intel core i7 extreme socket 1366 processor. intel x58 ich10r... and a lot of other fancy stuff. Pretty fancy looking ..lol anyway I'm looking for help putting this together, or is this outdated??? don't want to waste my money...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Over my head with this Flaming Blade!!

It's old but very good, certainly no barrier to gaming. As for installation, just follow the instructions in the motherboard and case manuals.. or are they missing? In which case I'm sure we can find some online for you.

Thanks

WoW!! thank-you for responding so quickly.. I'm rather new to all this.. There was paperwork with this thing, I'm just not that savy when it comes to all this technology anymore... I have never built one, I understand the terminology a bit, I guess I'm just not sure what I'm doing.. there is no processor that I can find, what I have is the spec sheet, and a pretty fancy motherboard.. Where to now ??? huh.. lol lol

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Hmm definitely best to compile a thorough inventory. When you said you had the board with a processor I assumed that meant you had a processor, but now you're not sure? List everything you've got - in a few posts you'll be able to post URLs so you can start taking pictures as well if you're not sure, but for now just list everything

Thanks

Alright.. and before I get to involved in all this, I want to thank-you for your time,.. I know I have a motherboard.. all fancy looking, kinda looks like a small state of the art city.. came in the box with specifications, also came with a intel core i7-920 lga 1366 processor.. however all that is in the box is the thermal cooling fan.. brand new..so apparently I have no processor.. now I know why it was given to me..!!! How bad a shape am I in?? money is not a problem, nor is time..can you buy just a processor??? like I said.. over my head..

Thanks

lol right at this moment, I feel so??? retarded.. no stupid,.. embarrassed...??? you know, you techies seem to be soooo smart, I've been a auto technician all my life, Isn't a car on the face of this earth that I can't get started.!! I'm also a locksmith...ok enough small talk..

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ur12tk View Post
    Alright.. and before I get to involved in all this, I want to thank-you for your time,.. I know I have a motherboard.. all fancy looking, kinda looks like a small state of the art city.. came in the box with specifications, also came with a intel core i7-920 lga 1366 processor.. however all that is in the box is the thermal cooling fan.. brand new..so apparently I have no processor.. now I know why it was given to me..!!! How bad a shape am I in?? money is not a problem, nor is time..can you buy just a processor??? like I said.. over my head..
    So to condense that. You have:

1) An x58 motherboard
    2) A heatsink/fan for a CPU.

And nothing else?

OK, well you can buy up all the other components (case, CPU, PSU, RAM, HDD, GPU, monitor, keyboard), but it might be easier to just sell the motherboard and buy a modern system.

Thanks

Well thank-you.. See this is just what I have been looking for...I have been going to the wrong places.. OK.. so, lets say I decide to keep what I have, and build it..At a rough estimate, what am I looking at.. ?? and if I decide to get rid of it, and buy a working station, .. ??? Like I said I love simulated flying.. I have a 4 disc program, I also have Microsoft program..lol the one that the terrorists learned on for 9/11.. anyway.. I want to get a couple of flat screens and a cockpit, if possible.. lol lol

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Are you sure the CPU isn't in the socket already? Or are the CPU socket pins visible?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Yes I am quite sure there is nothing in the socket.. Question?? Does the cpu come with the board, I was doing some reading the other day, about the 1366 being replaced with a 20 something..? hell it's only a couple hundred for the cpu.. I don't know.. personally I think I would learn a whole more about computing, ie...gaming, if I were to put this thing together.. of course with the help of some new found friends.. lol lol

Thanks

Some motherboards do come with built in CPUs but they tend to be small form factor ones. It was normal for LGA1366 boards to be sold seperately to LGA1366 CPUs.

It should be a lot less than a couple of hundred for a six year old CPU. The i7-920s are going for around £30 on ebay UK for example. You can get the current i7-5820 for under £300 so I certainly wouldn't pay £200 for anything on that board.

Sockets are pretty much bound to CPU architectures these days, so 1366 (Nehalem) was replaced with Socket 2011 (Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge), which itself was replaced with the current 2011-3 (Haswell & likely Broadwell).

Your LGA1366 board is the equivalent of a £1000 luxury car. A nice thing that still has potential for enjoyment, but you don't want to end up spending much money to get it running or you could have bought something newer.

You haven't said exactly what you've got other than 'a lot' but if you reckon you don't have a processor then that's the first step. IIRC all the enthusiast processors that used Socket 1366 were named i7-9## so go haunt second hand places for one of those. Looking at ebay prices it seems like £20-30 would be reasonable.

To get minimum functionality (i.e. signs of life when you hit the power button) you'll need the motherboard, CPU and memory - DDR3 in this case. Normally you'd use integrated graphics but there aren't any in this case so you'll also need a graphics card to be able to connect it to a screen.

Thanks

Good Afternoon My new found friends..lol lol It is I Flaming Blade and I want to announce that I have procured a processor for my motherboard.. Found it on E-Bay, Got to find the paste.. Am on the hunt for memory(DDR3) and graphics cards. I found the memory on e-bay but it said it for a dell..Does it have to be specific for my motherboard or will that work???lol lol Hey.. what can I say?? It's a learning experience..

Thanks

Before I forget.. Thank-you for your help, I don't mean to seem ungrateful, I'm just a bit overwhelmed with all the new knowledge I have been surrounded with..I know how to bake!! would you like me to send you some cookies?? lol lol

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Have you ordered the CPU already?

Can you post pictures of the motherboard on here, just for us to check? If not try uploading to somewhere like photobucket or imgur etc...?

It might help us to help you if you can post a picture.

Also if your post count is not high enough to post links you might have to add some spaces to the URL ie... www . website_name/ picture_url . com

Oh yes, and welcome to Hexus.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb

I wouldn't buy memory on ebay. Get it from a reputable maker and you have a good warranty. With memory that's worth having IMO.

16. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (11-08-2015)

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsson View Post
    I wouldn't buy memory on ebay. Get it from a reputable maker and you have a good warranty. With memory that's worth having IMO.
    Yes, definitely worth the few £££s more, I've had to RMA memory but to do it I needed to have proof of purchase which is not something that gets supplied with pre-owned memory kits.

Thread Information