Thread: AMD 1090T BE motherboard for overclocking

Thanks

AMD 1090T BE motherboard for overclocking

Hi all,

Used to be up to scratch with overclocking etc: but Im way out of the loop now!

Ive got an old AMD1090T, which I am in the mood for experimenting with. Ive got a corsair h70 on it at the moment, in an ASRock 890GX e3 motherboard.

I've heard these don't overclock very well, so Im half tempted to pick up a (hopefully!) cheap motherboard, maybe off ebay that might enable better overclocking, and better memory speeds ( Ive got some 2400mhz Kingston fury ram I picked up cheap in there at the moment, I know I wont push it to full speed, but hey, got to be something that can run it better than in the 890GX right, even with the A6 CPU's memory controller?

I dont really want to build a whole new ssytem, but would transplanting to a new mobo be a ( semi!) worthwhile experiment? in theory I should easily get 4Ghz out of the cores....

thanks in advance for any comments on my musings!

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: AMD 1090T BE motherboard for overclocking

How much are you willing to spend on what you yourself admit would only be an "experiment"?

There's plenty of options for overclocking AMD CPUs (obviously your best bet is probably an FX mobo of some description) but I doubt any of them are guaranteed to give a good OC. Buying second hand I suppose you'd have a chance of getting your money back by selling it on once you've got bored with experimenting, but that's alsop not guaranteed ... you've probably got the message that buying a mobo just for an experiment risks you sinking all of the money you've spent?

So if you can buy the mobo for money that you don't mind being without, and you'll enjoy the experiment, there's no good reason not to. If you're looking to do it because you think it'll give you some super-duper new gaming rig with all the bells and whistles, probably not so much.

Thread Information