Thread: Skylake motherboards for dual 4k displays with native graphics. Are there any?

Thanks

Question Skylake motherboards for dual 4k displays with native graphics. Are there any?

I'm looking at building a new PC, main use is coding/productivity in Linux. I switched to a 4k monitor for my main display a while ago, and would like to add a second 4k monitor.

The 4k monitor I already have will only do 4k over DisplayPort.

For the second 4k monitor (I haven't bought yet), most will do 4k @60Hz over DisplayPort, with many also supporting 4k @60Hz over HDMI 2.0

I'd prefer to use a Skylake processor's native graphics (mainly for good/stable Linux driver support, but also partly for lower power usage).

I'd prefer 4k at 60Hz, for the second monitor, so to drive both monitors I need a motherboard which has one of:

2x DisplayPort (one or both of which could be DisplayPort via Thunderbolt, or DisplayPort via USB-C (without Thunderbolt))

or:

1x DisplayPort (or via TB or USB as above) and 1x HDMI 2.0

or:

1x ThunderBolt 3 port (Intel Alpine Ridge equipped) with an external TB3 to dual DisplayPort adaptor like Startech's TB32DP2

Although all of the Skylake processors and chipsets are capable of three DisplayPort outputs, I've only found higher-end Z170+ ThunderBolt motherboards (e.g. Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5) which meet the spec I'm after.

Are there any cheaper boards which have two DisplayPort outputs, or one DisplayPort and one HDMI 2.0?

I don't think I can find a motherboard yet which ends up being cheaper than the minimum price Skylake boards plus a low-end AMD dual DisplayPort discrete graphics card...

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Skylake motherboards for dual 4k displays with native graphics. Are there any?

Quote Originally Posted by TimSmall View Post
    plus a low-end AMD dual DisplayPort discrete graphics card...
    Not much cheaper given how much graphics card makers are also charging for the privilege of using the chip's DisplayPort outputs.

It is frustrating how component manufacturers are dragging their feet in providing decent outputs as standard considering that the displays are now mid-range prices.

Have you considered a pre-built system? I don't know what your total budget is or what other requirements you have but some of the mid-range and up business desktops sport dual DisplayPort outputs.

You can pick up a complete Skylake G4400 Dell Optiplex 5040 for £340 delivered with dual DisplayPort 1.2 outputs:
    http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/op...040-desktop/pd

You'd probably need to add an SSD and more memory but it might be a cheaper option.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Skylake motherboards for dual 4k displays with native graphics. Are there any?

I can't find an AMD card under £100 with 2 displayports, and none of the current generation AMD cards support HDMI 2.0. There's some NVidia BTX 950 cards with 2+ Displayports though - still well over £100. The cheapest card I've found that can do 2 displayport is a Quadro NVS 310 for £82: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...p-fh-single-sl

if you're running Linux is a thin client with boot-over-lan an option? HP do some AMD based thin clients with dual displayports, starting at just over £200...

EDIT:

third option: MST - you'll only get 30Hz out of each 4k display from a DP 1.2 MST hub, but it'd get you two displays from a single displayport output: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...STDP122DP.html
    Last edited by scaryjim; 25-05-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Seems stupid when DP is increasingly common and a passive adaptor cable converts from DP+ to hdmi, and mini DP connectors are nice and small, why can't you buy a dual DP card?

Once you get up to an R9 390 you get three of the things. Finding a card with two is hard.

I was wondering if a pair of cheap cards would work, but finding a cheap single DP card isn't easy either.

Edit: Hopefully the new AMD Polaris cards will be out in a few weeks. That should get you HDMI2.0a which can drive a 4K monitor.

My twin monitor setup drives the main 1440p screen over DP and the secondary screen over HDMI. That is using the open source AMD drivers.

Thanks

Some useful suggestions - thanks everyone.

I found that AMD Firepro W2100 (28nm Oland) cards have dual DisplayPort outputs, and seem to sell for about £85 new (and occasionally under £30 on a popular online auction site).

I almost went this route, but came across a Dell Optiplex 5040 SFF with Core i3/4GB/500GB for £240 with no OS. Would have preferred the medium tower version, but could only find it for at least £90 extra...

Thread Information