Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 58

Thread: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

  1. #1
    Militant Battle Moose! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,052
    Thanks
    2,722
    Thanked
    3,782 times in 2,933 posts

    The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Its not come to the UK yet,but its the return of Sy-Fy to big budget space based shows. Managed to catch a few episodes,and its awesome. Its a bit like Babylon 5 with a bit of Bladerunner thrown in and its based on a series of novels:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ex...(novel_series)

    They really have made great attention to detail and made it as hard sci-fi as possible for a series,

    Sy-Fy UK has not picked it yet for some weird reason,but probably a DVD purchase for me at some point.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-02-2016 at 01:33 PM.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  2. Received thanks from:

    g8ina (03-02-2016),jimborae (09-02-2016)

  3. #2
    Militant Battle Moose! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,052
    Thanks
    2,722
    Thanked
    3,782 times in 2,933 posts

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!



    First episode released on YouTube for free.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  4. #3
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked
    206 times in 183 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X79 Extreme4-M
      • CPU:
      • i7 3930K o/c to 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer G&R
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E2773HS
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Will keep an eye out...

  5. #4
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    10,460
    Thanks
    1,213
    Thanked
    908 times in 715 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570 (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial DDR3 1866MHz
      • Storage:
      • 240GB Crucial M4, 480GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate SSHD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • XFX 650W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2913WM & Philips E-line 234EL2SB
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    They are putting whole episodes up on youtube? Awesome!

  6. #5
    Militant Battle Moose! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,052
    Thanks
    2,722
    Thanked
    3,782 times in 2,933 posts

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    They are putting whole episodes up on youtube? Awesome!
    Only the one it appears.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  7. #6
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,489
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked
    817 times in 698 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    I'm up to episode 10 and it has been really good. Some good actors popping up, which always helps.

    You get a good sense for the scale of the story, which has the legs to be quite large.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Lenovo Flex 2 / 12GB RAM / 240GB Corsair Force 3 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: HTC One M9 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM12.1 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  8. #7
    Studmuffin Flibb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,805
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    299 times in 258 posts
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Will have a look at this later, its my kind of thing

  9. #8
    Amazed by Grace Galant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    2,525
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked
    356 times in 212 posts

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Will it last? There seems to be a trend in axing decent sci-fi after the first season.

    Also how is it content-wise in terms of the usual - sex, language etc? Not a fan of the trend toward the 'darker/more explicit' stuff of late.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

  10. #9
    Studmuffin Flibb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,805
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    299 times in 258 posts
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Watched some of it last night, quickly realised I had read some o the books. Seems OK, then again I wasn't that bothered about the books, found them a bit formulaic. Will persevere for a few episodes.

  11. #10
    Senior Member cptwhite_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,418
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    379 times in 272 posts
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77Z-UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk Ultra II 960Gb SSD / 750Gb Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Strix GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550W VX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM (2560x1440 IPS Panel)
      • Internet:
      • EE 4G

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    It strikes a good balance. Nothing is off limits, there's a tame zero-g sex scene in the opening episode (literally 10 seconds?). Not that much swearing, but then there's some gory scenes as well. It's not every episode but it is there (the scene is episode 4 is brilliant, you'll know what I mean if you watch it )

    Can I just say that so far it's my favourite sci-fi series since the BSG reboot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I understand why they're so good.. but it's the WOOD I need

  12. Received thanks from:

    Galant (04-02-2016)

  13. #11
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked
    206 times in 183 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X79 Extreme4-M
      • CPU:
      • i7 3930K o/c to 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer G&R
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E2773HS
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    Can I just say that so far it's my favourite sci-fi series since the BSG reboot.
    I started liking BSG, but then it went weird and mythological on me, so I just struggled to the end and never looked back, except to drool over either a Raptor and/or Boomer.
    Still need to play that Diaspora Freespace2 mod...

    Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Will it last? There seems to be a trend in axing decent sci-fi after the first season.
    A couple of those I was most interested in got syndicated/bought out by the US and either remade in a crappy form, or got retconned.
    The good news is that a third season of Starhunter got greenlit and is in pre-production, so there is hope for some programmes...

    Based on 2 episodes, watched while actually kinda sleepy and only paying about 80% attention, This Expanse thing warrants a good try at least.
    It is darker than some programmes, perhaps a bit more than Firefly, but certainly doesn't look like it'll be proper nasty either. Any bad language, gore or nudity will probably be minimal and/or fairly appropriate to the scene. I'd guess it's perhaps a 12-15 on the BBFC?

  14. #12
    Militant Battle Moose! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,052
    Thanks
    2,722
    Thanked
    3,782 times in 2,933 posts

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    It's been renewed for a second season before the first one aired.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    30 times in 28 posts
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    how do you get bab 5 and blade runner ??? i'd go more with a farscape and lexx
    but yeah good start first season is always a bit up and down .. you can see whats going to happen in season 2 !!
    entity uses bloke with scanner eye to comunicate and try to take over verse .. hero gets everyone together to fight it ..
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

    To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

  16. #14
    Militant Battle Moose! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    25,052
    Thanks
    2,722
    Thanked
    3,782 times in 2,933 posts

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Quote Originally Posted by flearider View Post
    how do you get bab 5 and blade runner ??? i'd go more with a farscape and lexx
    but yeah good start first season is always a bit up and down .. you can see whats going to happen in season 2 !!
    entity uses bloke with scanner eye to comunicate and try to take over verse .. hero gets everyone together to fight it ..
    Babylon 5 was as close to hard sci-fi as we got in a series for years. Foundation Imaging were not only used for the CGI in the series but also contributed to the technical aspects.

    All races adhere to their technical tiers. All the human ships were modelled to move according to Newtonian physics and were limited the relatively low technical tier of humanity especially due to energy production. None of the earth ships had artificial gravity outside of rotation or acceleration (apart from the very end),and most of the earth ships had no gravity. Hence the use of velcro,etc in the Hyperion class to tie things down.You can see it in the films where they try to show the weightlessness in the Hyperion class. The Star Fury was considered a design good enough to build by NASA themselves.

    Human ships as a result are limited in accelleration meaning they are slow and not maneuverable and rely on heavier armor,and fighters for defence. The original design for the Omega class was meant to have a gimbled engine section to counteract the intertia of the rotating subsection.

    Babylon 5 is an O'Neill cylinder which is another nod to Babylon 5 trying to have roots in hard sci-fi. The series was constrained by the budget it had and the CGI of the time.

    The Expanse universe for the most part is also founded in hard sci fi for its technology.

    Then there is the conflict between the outer colonies and earth too. In many ways The Expanse is similar in both it hard sci-fi roots and the fact it also portrays humanity and its colonies not being a big happy family.

    Babylon 5 itself had very long arks and The Expanse has these too.

    Then the Bladerunner themes,are more in the fact you find that the colonies are a multi-cultural mishmash which have their own dialogies and dialect of sorts. If you watch Bladerunner you see this with Harrison Ford's partner and how he speaks,how he dresses and the eclectic mishmah of the city he is in. The colonies are very much this in The Expanse.

    Then also one of the most standout features of Bladerunner - new built on old. Instead of the pristine future in previous sci-fi films you can see how the new is intermixed with the old. You can kind of see this in Ceres where the belters and rest of the folk are on the lower levels which are overcrowded,worn out and old,with the rich occupying the new looking and clean higher levels of the station.

    Even the whole fact,that in Bladerunner the future looks lived in and old,just like you see with the stations in The Expanse. A reversal in Bladerunner is that the Earth is seen as used and trashed and barely livable in due to pollution and the outer colonies are looked as an idyllic place for the wealthy to escape to. In The Expanse the opposite is true. Earth is the paradise the people in space wish they could have or emulate as their lives are anything but idyllic and they can barely survive.

    Plus the other aspect Bladerunner brought in - megacorporations with huge amounts of power who try to play God. The Tyrell corporation was an example of this as they were tryting to build "better" than humanity. You will see this in The Expanse too.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-02-2016 at 02:55 AM.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  17. Received thanks from:

    Ferral (08-02-2016)

  18. #15
    Senior Member Spreadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    an island in the south
    Posts
    1,175
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked
    167 times in 120 posts
    • Spreadie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • B350M Mortar Arctic
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen R5 1600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe, 500GB SSDs, 12TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Custom Parvum S2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer H277HU
      • Internet:
      • FTTC 38Mb/s

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    It strikes a good balance. Nothing is off limits, there's a tame zero-g sex scene in the opening episode (literally 10 seconds?). Not that much swearing, but then there's some gory scenes as well. It's not every episode but it is there (the scene is episode 4 is brilliant, you'll know what I mean if you watch it )

    Can I just say that so far it's my favourite sci-fi series since the BSG reboot.
    The first ten episodes have been really good, although I feel like we've barely scratched the surface, which bodes well for longevity.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!


  19. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    30 times in 28 posts
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

    Re: The Expanse - best hard sci fi show in years!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Babylon 5 was as close to hard sci-fi as we got in a series for years. Foundation Imaging were not only used for the CGI in the series but also contributed to the technical aspects.

    All races adhere to their technical tiers. All the human ships were modelled to move according to Newtonian physics and were limited the relatively low technical tier of humanity especially due to energy production. None of the earth ships had artificial gravity outside of rotation or acceleration (apart from the very end),and most of the earth ships had no gravity. Hence the use of velcro,etc in the Hyperion class to tie things down.You can see it in the films where they try to show the weightlessness in the Hyperion class. The Star Fury was considered a design good enough to build by NASA themselves.

    Human ships as a result are limited in accelleration meaning they are slow and not maneuverable and rely on heavier armor,and fighters for defence. The original design for the Omega class was meant to have a gimbled engine section to counteract the intertia of the rotating subsection.

    Babylon 5 is an O'Neill cylinder which is another nod to Babylon 5 trying to have roots in hard sci-fi. The series was constrained by the budget it had and the CGI of the time.

    The Expanse universe for the most part is also founded in hard sci fi for its technology.

    Then there is the conflict between the outer colonies and earth too. In many ways The Expanse is similar in both it hard sci-fi roots and the fact it also portrays humanity and its colonies not being a big happy family.

    Babylon 5 itself had very long arks and The Expanse has these too.

    Then the Bladerunner themes,are more in the fact you find that the colonies are a multi-cultural mishmash which have their own dialogies and dialect of sorts. If you watch Bladerunner you see this with Harrison Ford's partner and how he speaks,how he dresses and the eclectic mishmah of the city he is in. The colonies are very much this in The Expanse.

    Then also one of the most standout features of Bladerunner - new built on old. Instead of the pristine future in previous sci-fi films you can see how the new is intermixed with the old. You can kind of see this in Ceres where the belters and rest of the folk are on the lower levels which are overcrowded,worn out and old,with the rich occupying the new looking and clean higher levels of the station.

    Even the whole fact,that in Bladerunner the future looks lived in and old,just like you see with the stations in The Expanse. A reversal in Bladerunner is that the Earth is seen as used and trashed and barely livable in due to pollution and the outer colonies are looked as an idyllic place for the wealthy to escape to. In The Expanse the opposite is true. Earth is the paradise the people in space wish they could have or emulate as their lives are anything but idyllic and they can barely survive.

    Plus the other aspect Bladerunner brought in - megacorporations with huge amounts of power who try to play God. The Tyrell corporation was an example of this as they were tryting to build "better" than humanity. You will see this in The Expanse too.
    wow .. how to take a tv show apart ..lol but i can see your point .. i was just looking at the dark theme running thru it and the few that will save it
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

    To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •