A little bored at work so thought I'd share a quick summary of the film, Why Him? that I saw on a free advanced screening last night. I considered a review but comedies of this nature don't need it so I'll keep it as short as possible.

The film was at the Reading Showcase Cinema. Which is definitely the best cinema I've been to, every screen is filled with lazy boy sofas, and you don't pay extra (if you're going for a normal screening). Last time I got advanced screening tickets it was at an Odeon, so its pot luck which cinema you end up going to.

To the film - Prior to my housemate saying lets go I had not heard of this film or knew of its existence so I was going in with zero expectations.

The plot is very simple, a daddy's girl is far away at Uni with a lunatic boyfriend who daddy isn't too peachy about when he takes the family to visit them for Christmas.

Doing my best to not spoil anything.

- Bryan Cranston does a reasonable job at playing a dad who is consistently taken wildly out of his comfort zone as he's faced with the prospect of getting to know his daughters boyfriend and way of living.
- James Franco plays the lunatic boyfriend and generates most of the madness the family encounter on their Christmas break, constantly saying and doing the wrong things whilst trying to impress the family.
- Zoey Deutch who plays the daughter is the complete opposite to her boyfriend. While the rest of the main characters revolve around her you can't help but think she's the weakest cast member, she provides little to no comedy as her goal is to bridge a friendship between her father and boyfriend.
- The mother played by Megan Mullally clearly has a wild child side to her that should have been explored more.
- And finally the younger brother plays off his exposure quite well to the many antics provided by his sisters boyfriend that he probably shouldn't be subjected to.

There's a mixture of support cast including a cameo by 2 members of a well known band and a famous CEO of a car manufacturer who actually pulled off their part better than I would have expected having seen recent interviews of him. The support cast are a little weak and don't really add any funny moments.

Throughout the film the comedy somehow felt reserved. You wanted moments to go further or be more extreme but it just randomly concluded leaving you a little unfulfilled at times.

Well written this is not and cheap dialogue throughout with plenty of toilet humour in the first half.
Bryan Cranston could really do better than this, but he is by far the strongest actor in the film.

I'd give this film 5/10
An easy watch for some good cheap laughs but very predictable with nothing new or ground breaking to be seen.