Thread: Sky Q with a single cable - as in a block of flats

Thanks

Sky Q with a single cable - as in a block of flats

When Sky Q was announced I checked with Sky whether my flat with only a single cable feed could receive Sky Q - I was told that it would not be possible - my enquiries in trying to get my flats upgraded to have two cable feeds were fruitless and there is no room for a stacker destacker.
    I learned this week that at last I can get fibre broadband in my flat - this lead me look at possibly moving to BT TV - anyway after a long circular bit of web searching I learned new things for me regarding Sky Q installation in MDUs (multiple dwelling units).
    Sky can come out to assess the satellite equipment in a block of flats - they can upgrade the multiswitch to a dSCR (digital single cable router) switch, which basically means that all the info required for Sky Q can travel along a single cable - they may carry out the upgrade for free, or ask for the flat residents to meet some of the cost - probably depends on how many Sky subscribers live in the flats.
    Or, if it turns out to be too expensive to upgrade the multiswitch, then Sky can install, free of charge, a plug in adapter, that will serve just a single flat for each adapter and that will send all the required Sky Q info down a single cable - Sky just need access to the satellite equipment. As far as I can tell this is available from the end of August 2017.

Has anyone had experience with a dSCR upgrade? Or are they awaiting the installation of a plug in adapter?

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Re: Sky Q with a single cable - as in a block of flats

No experience of what you're proposing, but I have heard that Sky are soon going to be offering a service where they deliver everything over IP, might be worth investigating...

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ky-q-from-2018

Not until 2018 though, unfortunately

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Sky Q uses a wideband input from the dish rather than the old LNB signalling system, so I am not surprised there is some conversion to be done on a distributed block of flats system. Sky seem pretty good at handing out free hardware if they think subscriptions are in peril though so it sounds like the assessment would be worth getting.

What channels do you want that you can't get from NowTV? Personally I lose SciFy, and stuff on there seems to end up on Netflix eventually so I haven't really missed it.

Thanks

So many options!
    I think that I will try and get my flat(s) upgraded anyway, will add some value.
    Then maybe see if/how the upgrade enhances existing SkyHD setup, before committing to Sky Q.
    Just read that Now TV will only stream at 720p - just set up my projector at last and really want full HD.
    As for channels, I watch a lot of movies and sports and I want better recording capability - which with current single cable is very limited, so Now tv would be too limiting for me, but thanks for the suggestion, as now I now know Now.

Thanks

Total Sky Q installation failure.
    Two separate visits from engineers - I predicted that the first one would be a waste of time as Sky were following scripts and not listening to me.
    Today I now know that Sky have changed strategy slightly - they are telling engineers to only install an adapter for a single flat in a communal system, rather than updating the whole switch.
    The adapter does not work with the gear in my block of flats so Sky had to give up.
    I don't think that I want to continue to pay for a Sky service where I cannot watch one channel and record another.
    *edit - had another chat with retentions and got my bill down considerably - thought about going to BT, but 'twas pointed out that you can't record Sky sports on BT.
    Today's Crystal Maze challenge from Sky is switching to fast fibre - so far, old service went between 5am and 7:30am - no internet - then at 9:30 very odd intermittent connection, appearing to improve over time, except that two broadband speed testers are showing nothing for download, which is odd as I can bring up web pages. The hub I've been given is a Sky Q hub, hope that that is not going to be an issue. Only two Ethernet ports and the latest micro filter is so wide that it blocks the aerial socket on the sat/tv/phone plate.
    Which broadband tester managed to record some values: - latency 831ms; download 1.5Mbps; upload 0.8 Mbps - nvm
    Last edited by snedger; 26-09-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: 'cos

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by snedger View Post
    Just read that Now TV will only stream at 720p - just set up my projector at last and really want full HD.
    As for channels, I watch a lot of movies and sports and I want better recording capability - which with current single cable is very limited,
    Can't say I have noticed it being 720p but I think bitrate is often more important to image quality than resolution. I have an LG TV which sometimes says exactly what it is streaming, will see what it says.

I must say though that thanks to streaming services I record less and less content.

Thanks

After the Sky Q installation failure I did ask that Sky investigate Sky Q compatibility issues - would have been nice to have been surprised with a response, if I have the strength I might call on Friday to ask what my options are and maybe try and blag a free Sky Go Extra upgrade, because....
    Last night I used the Windows 10 BT Sports app to watch Sevilla v Liverpool HDMI connected through a soundbar to my bedroom TV - worked perfectly and legal - I have free BT Sports with my EE mobile contract and for whatever reason, you can send Win 10 BT Sports app to a TV/PJ.
    I'd always thought that there was no way to get Sky Go on to a telly, web searched and answers appeared to confirm this.
    But, tried anyway - there is an Italian Win 10 Sky Go app - no use for the UK; Chrome through up a message to say that only Internet Explorer was supported, thought that Win 10 had Edge, but clicked anyway and to my surprise I was able to watch Sky Go catchup of the Walking Dead on bedroom TV from Win 10 Sky Go in Internet Explorer.
    Sometimes you just don't know until you try!
    Need Sky Go Extra as Sky Series link is so annoying with only a single satellite cable - frequently have to choose which program to watch, rather than sit back and relax, whilst watching and recording.
    Biggest personal downside for me is that, now that I know how brilliantly the sound and vision are on my bed TV with PC and soundbar, I will probably plug in to the Ashes tonight and not sleep a wink. And I might have to get another laptop to have permanent set ups in the lounge and bedroom.

Thread Information