View Poll Results: What's this Poll thing, I'm new to this?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Useful?

0 0%
  • Useless?

0 0%

Thread: Virgin Broadband and Wireless Router Query?

Thanks

Angry Virgin Broadband and Wireless Router Query?

Hi. I recently purchased a 'Buffalo Airstation WHR-G54S' to use as wireless on Virgin Broadband 2 MB. I believe I have set this up ok and the Internet seems to be working. I didn't have to fiddle with any settings, which in my (lack of) experience I have, in the past always had to mess with various settings. I query, however, that when I run the 'ipconfig' through Run, cmd, I get a 192.168 address range. Although when I connect to the internet and google 'What's my IP?', I get a totally different IP Address for some reason, why am I getting this conflict of one IP address on the net being different to the IP Address I get when running ipconfig. Is it because my cabled hardware has it's own IP Address and the wireless router then dishes out the 192.168 address?

In addition, when I try to host a server now on All Seeing Eye for Call of Duty gaming, my friends are unable to connect? Please help ....... thanks!

Ne0
    Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Virgin Broadband and Wireless Router Query?

The reason why ipconfig throws up a 192.168.x.x IP is because your router dynamically assigns you a LAN IP address when you connect to your network. This IP address is different to the IP address the whole world sees.

The reason why your friends can no longer connect to games you host is because you need to tell the router that those connections from your friends need to be forwarded to your PC. There should be a port forwarding option in your routers setup page. You need to forward a range of ports to your PC's 192.168.x.x IP address (Google around for COD + port forwarding to find the specific ports). After this your friends should be able to connect to your server.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

Your 192.168 address is an "internal" network address, most people will have a 192.168.x.x. or a 10.x.x.x address for their home machines, what you need to do is use the external IP address that you get when you go on whats my ip. This is the front door to your home network, you need to configure your system to push this traffic through the wireless router to your machine.

As Ne0 says port forwarding is one way of achieving this, but it will depend on your router what it supports.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TiG View Post
    Your 192.168 address is an "internal" network address, most people will have a 192.168.x.x. or a 10.x.x.x address for their home machines, what you need to do is use the external IP address that you get when you go on whats my ip. This is the front door to your home network, you need to configure your system to push this traffic through the wireless router to your machine.

As Ne0 says port forwarding is one way of achieving this, but it will depend on your router what it supports.

TiG
    all routers support port forwarding...

or they should do. good god what routers these days dont.

like the above posters said,
    you have 2 ip's when connected to a router. A LAN IP - Local, and a WAN IP - Wide, ie your net IP.

Your WAN IP is shared by everyone on your router, but your LAN IPs are what identify you uniquely on your own network, which is why its necessary to portforward when you are hosting programs because the router needs to know which pc on your network to forward traffic to etc. It doesn't know magically PC3 is running a ftp server forward port 21 to it, unless you enable UPnP which helps speed it up too.

TMD
    Thanks
    • TMD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Geil DDR2 ULL
      • Storage:
      • 1X500GB WD AAKS, 2XMaxtor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GTX OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • 20MB Virgin Media BB

There seem to be two identical threads going on here...

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=120446

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    There seem to be two identical threads going on here...

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=120446
    http://forums.hexus.net/showpost.php...01&postcount=3

Thread Information