Thread: WOL help needed please!

Thanks

Question WOL help needed please!

Hi all

I need to be able to switch my home pc on remotely and have been trying with Wake On Lan (depicus.com) without success.

I have a BT Home Hub with port forwarding set to my home pc and have also made exceptions with Windows firewall.

In WOL I have entered the external IP address of my home pc and the open port.

My home pc is connected via Lan and the bios set to WOL. The network card (Intel Pro/1000 MT) is also set to wake up on receiving a magic packet.

I have tried disabling the BT Home Hub firewall but it makes no difference.

Also tried various ports (upto 13000) in case my isp (BT) blocks certain ranges.

I am also unable to ping my home pc from the internet, although from LAN I can. Don't know whether this is part of the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Splash

Re: WOL help needed please!

does WoL work on your LAN? I'd guess that either your ISP are blocking the packet orthe Home hub isn't allowing it through tbh.

Thanks

Yes it works on Lan no probs.

Splash

In that case you really are looking at the packet being blocked by your ISP or the router. Is it possible to test an alternative router?

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by mj74 View Post
    In WOL I have entered the external IP address of my home pc and the open port.
    Eh? Have you opened up a port and configured port forwarding on your Homehub? You need to put in the IP address of your homehub, not your local 192.x.x.x assigned address.

What are you typing from your session on the Internet?

Also, did you see this bit?

If you wish to use Wake On Lan over the internet you will need to set up your destination firewall/router to allow "Subnet Directed Broadcasts". Most routers and firewalls disable this option by default.

You will then need to allow traffic through on your firewall/router on a specific port. The choice of ports is up to you.

Thanks

I would be surprised if WOL worked over the net. When I use WOL on my work network - which I do regularly to power on machines for windows updates (im WINTEL Server type bod) - I send the packet to the MAC address. This rarely works across different networks for me, so if i have to power on a machine in a remote site, i do it from a server in that remote site or on that remote network. Bear in mind, whilst your computer is off, there is no IP address on the card.

Thread Information