Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm trying to find good value broadband that is not with Sky or BT

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Re: I'm trying to find good value broadband that is not with Sky or BT

If I've ever had an issue then the tech support has been really fast in getting back to me so can't fault them there. Having said that, I've only had a two minor issues so maybe the easier they are to solve the quicker they get back to you!
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csgohan4 View Post
    Plusnet has traffic management
    That's interesting, I called up Plusnet a couple of weeks ago armed with that knowledge from Money Saving Expert's guide to broadband, and the sales rep on the phone flat out denied it, I said I've read it on this article on this site and she said nope that's incorrect, so I advised her to make a note and pass it on to management to get in touch with MSE and correct it.

So is the sales rep full of BS or are you and MSE wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    That's interesting, I called up Plusnet a couple of weeks ago armed with that knowledge from Money Saving Expert's guide to broadband, and the sales rep on the phone flat out denied it, I said I've read it on this article on this site and she said nope that's incorrect, so I advised her to make a note and pass it on to management to get in touch with MSE and correct it.

So is the sales rep full of BS or are you and MSE wrong?
    They traffic manage and are pretty open about it: http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nagement.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrRockliffe View Post
    I think that good broadband is subjective, since some people find 10 Mbps really quick, while others painstakingly slow. It depends what you're using it for - if it's web browsing and the occasional video, 10 would be fine, 38 would be best. If you download steam games etc, it's really nice to have 76 down - titanfall downloaded within 2 hours for me and I can watch youtube videos in 1440p without issues

But, I'm with BT and even with huge monthly usage, I get no slowdown (in fact the other day I did a speedtest when BT was having issues, and I got a speed greater than I should! - http://www.speedtest.net/result/3591315226.png and I'm on 76 down).

I would look at what the most common ISP is in your area, and go with a different one. Plusnet is common where I live and consequently, there are a lot of complaints due to throttling.
    I see your angle now, no worries.

I wouldn't be daft enough to ignore my line's theoretical speed then criticise the provider I go with for not exceeding it.

So I guess what I mean by good BB is all the factors outside of theoretical top line speed. Like, how close to the line's speed the provider can give, even if it just 10mbps.

How do I find out which ISP is most popular in my area?

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I see your angle now, no worries.

I wouldn't be daft enough to ignore my line's theoretical speed then criticise the provider I go with for not exceeding it.

So I guess what I mean by good BB is all the factors outside of theoretical top line speed. Like, how close to the line's speed the provider can give, even if it just 10mbps.

How do I find out which ISP is most popular in my area?
    Ask people, take your laptop/phone around and look at the WiFi names - I'm pretty sure every company will have their name in the SSID. From my room, it's actually mainly sky, but when travelling around I'd say 80-90% are plusnet. Very few BT which means better Internet for me. I think this is why Zen are really good, because fewer people use them. Higher price, less people, better service.

EDIT: Just updating Titanfall and it's reporting speeds of 30 MB/s! It often does this, and ends up downloading 1GB updates in a matter of seconds

By the time I realised I was downloading that quick and had captured the screen, it was almost finished. I'd love someone to explain why this is happening
    Last edited by MrRockliffe; 02-07-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Zen? Although might have to up the budget slightly.
    I have been with Zen for the past 10 years or so. Their speed, reliably and customer service has been excellent, but as Guy says, they are a bit more expensive.

I guess you need to decide where your priorities lie. If you wanted low price above all other considerations you would have signed up with EE or tiscali by now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    I almost moved my parents to Plusnet the other night. The phone / broadband (fibre) seems like a pretty good deal.

Then I read the reviews: https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.plus.net

Generally, lack of customer support, very long phone wait times for support, and serious issues just not being fixed for months.
    It's not just trust pilot, ISP review and other places also highlight issues.

Think I'm going to stay away for the moment. I know more people complain over praise, but the numbers of complaints are staggering.
    My experience is the complete opposite of what you've seen. Whenever I've raised a ticket re: connection issues, they have responded quickly and sorted my problems out rapidly. When I rang up to say I was moving house, they highlighted that I was on an older, more expensive contract and moved me to a cheaper, unlimited contract. My parents and family have been with them for years and have nothing but good experiences to report.

I agree though; the reviews on trustpilot seem pretty damning...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
    why dont you want to be with BT. They have no traffic shaping, no speed restrictions, and their infinity product is great. I get very close to the 78 that they will supply as a maximum. Their customer service though does have a lot to be desired, but i find that most companies are like that.
    BT do packet shape, do have speed restrictions and their network seems to be starting to creek and groan a bit in places. I would be very wary of them now that they have shoehorned so many onto the infinity service.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    I have been with Zen for the past 10 years or so. Their speed, reliably and customer service has been excellent, but as Guy says, they are a bit more expensive.

I guess you need to decide where your priorities lie. If you wanted low price above all other considerations you would have signed up with EE or tiscali by now.
    Indeed, Zen are one of the few companies I have only heard good things about and I was tempted to go with them last time I changed (which is years ago now).

I am with Eclipse, and the same applies. Eclipse traffic shape P2P during the daytime on adsl, which I haven't had an issue with but it did make them cheaper than Zen.

The upside? Excellent service, you can have a couple of static IP addresses if you want, you set your reverse DNS address, no port blocking, no restrictions generally on what you can run on your link. Personally I have found them worth the extra money.

If you want an un-metered service, you are probably looking at bundling in the telephone services as well though to get a better deal.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/home-bundles/pricing

OilSheikh

+1 for Plusnet
    No Traffic management on fibre that I have noticed. You can log a ticket online on their member portals and you even get texts when updates are made

Thanks

So I've just ordered Plusnet

Trying to get the £101 cashback deal via Top CashBack. Hope it works. The whole year should work out ~£110

Thanks

That cashback certainly does sweeten the deal. Can you have the current offers with it too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Nope, doesn't go with the £2.49/mo and £50 cashback deal

I thought about trying it, but I didn't want to risk the TCB not tracking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information