Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Network (Shared Drive) Dropouts

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Network (Shared Drive) Dropouts

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    There's no real reason not to just use a persistent mapped drive, but something clearly went wrong at some point

try setting that up and post back if you have further issues.
    OK cool, thanks. Just one question, do I always say use different credentials? And then input my username and password for the other computer?

Splash

Yep, unless you're on a domain and those credentials are valid.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yep, unless you're on a domain and those credentials are valid.
    Dammit. I stll have the same problem....

Splash

You don't have a login script or anything? Run net use again - do you see the path again?

Registered+
    Thanks

You don't have a login script or anything? Run net use again - do you see the path again?
    Once connected I see just one path, which is good. However the main issue is that it is requiring a log on password every time after reboot.

When mapping I had reconnect at sign in and sign in using different credentials checked. I chose the latter as the password and username to my other computer is different to the other (which I assume is right), and reconnect at sign in presumably means auto connect every boot?

Splash

when you click the "different credentials" button you should be prompted for the credetials to use: did you enter mothership\username or just username?

Registered+
    Thanks

when you click the "different credentials" button you should be prompted for the credetials to use: did you enter mothership\username or just username?
    Hi all, sorry for the long delay. I finally got it working, just made sure everything was totally deleted and it wasnt getting confused and that it was matching the credentials perfectly. Thanks so much everyone for your very kind help

Registered+
    Thanks

How is the remote server connected are all the PCs on the same switch connected via Ethernet?

You can check your event log for a browser election. Report back if you see any log entries.

It may be naming services that converts the server name to an IP address is not working. There are a few things you can do to help things

1) Setup the service to use a static IP or set it up on your modem / routers DHCP to give the server the same address each time
    2) Use this format for the server / share //<IP Address> e.g. //192.168.0.53 instead of the name you are using.

If this works (and the name does not) you have an issue with >1 Windows machine trying to be the master browser.

Also make sure you have not turned off any network discovery services on your windows PCs as these are needed. Eg. Computer Browser Service

If you are on Win8 and you have issue with a HomeGroup turn on simple file sharing and see if this works.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Frown breaker, you need to read the previous post - the OP reported that the problem had been solved!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

Although now I have another problem.....

I have just started using vpns and when I use it it means the computers cant connect anymore. This doesnt make sense as I am using the computer names rather than IP addresses to share the files. Any idea on what I should look at?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Yes, your default gateway and DNS servers are probably getting superseded by the remote ones from the VPN when you connect it.

The default gateway normally doesn't matter as I expect both PCs to be on the same subnet (i.e. only the last number of their IPs differ - 192.168.0.x) if that's the case the default gateway doesn't come into play.

The DNS servers will though. Edit the VPN connection, go to the networking tab > TCP/IP v4 > Advanced > DNS
    Now add both your local DNS IP and the remote DNS IP and make sure your local one is first.

If each network has it's own domain name, I'd add those as well and set your local one first in the DNS search order.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

My DNS are all set manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - the VPN is not changing this, thats what I don't understand?

Apologies for my ignorance but what do you mean about the network domain name? I probably mislead in my origina post - there is just sharing of folder between the computers, not a network as such?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by zenpmd View Post
    My DNS are all set manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - the VPN is not changing this, thats what I don't understand?

Apologies for my ignorance but what do you mean about the network domain name? I probably mislead in my origina post - there is just sharing of folder between the computers, not a network as such?
    If while the VPN is up you type at a command prompt:

Code:
    ping mothership
    does the command find the machine and work ok?

Edit to add: The bit before when you were asked to ping for a while, you just stop that with Ctrl-C and look at the statistics. In the middle of that, you get a %loss field. Like this:

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
    Packets: Sent = 16, Received = 16, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 4ms
    Control-C
    ^C

I think you have moved beyond that here, but just tidying up a loose end in case you ever need to try it in future
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 26-04-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Perfect thanks mate thats a great tip!

Just to be clear on terminology:

Computer A - Plays shared content from upstairs
    Computer B - VPN Machine.

Without the VPN I can ping both ways from each machine.
    Once the VPN is connected I can ping from B to A (as I assume the vpn doesnt matter here), but from A to B the ping times out.

They are both on 192.168.1.xxx

Registered+
    Thanks

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Splash

Unless I misunderstand your description then it's esssentially because while your "VPN machine" is connected to the same physical network it's logically connected to an entirely different network. How is the VPN setup and what are you trying to achieve with the VPN?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information