Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
Holy thread bump! So I should be starting networking in the next month or two so wanted to run a couple of ideas past the Hexus experts before I go shopping.

We got our BT line put into the front bedroom upstairs as this was a study and we were sleeping in the back. Now we've just moved in to the front bedroom and the router is currently under the bed flashing away to itself. So the plan:

Get a new faceplate with a RJ45 port for the master socket and use RJ45 connectors / cat6 cable to move the modem/router to the back bedroom.

Cable wise, Cat6 from netstoredirect has been mentioned and is probably my first choice. Cables will either be out lose, or running through the chimney breast (with RJ45 sockets) and not run with power wires - I assume it's not worth going for the shielded version? Is it worth kicking off a Cat6a debate for a small domestic domestic job?

I'm thinking 2 ports in the front bedroom (modem + network spare), 2 in the rear (modem + network return) and 4 downstairs (TV, playstation, PC). Computer and little NAS box in the back bedroom directly connected to the modem. Everything will run to a little patch panel in the loft and I'll get a little unmanaged switch up there to cover the network side. The other option would be to have the switch downstairs next to the kit, and only run 2 ports everywhere (as I write this that's making more sense). Or should I be looking at sticking 4 ports everywhere?

I'll get the usual selection of rj45 plugs, sockets and crimp and punch tools, and a cat6 24 port patch panel. I've got a reasonable SDS hammer drill which should take care of the bricks no trouble. I guess it's worth taking a brick out the top and trying to look down and see how things are connected - 1930's end of block of 4 houses, looks like a fire downstairs and one in each bedroom from what I can tell so far. Fingers crossed I can actually drop a cable all the fay down without too much difficulty!
When cabling, make sure the twists go right up to the punch down connectors. Untwisting the cables even just up to the sheath is sometimes enough to stop data transfers working at gigabit speeds. The spec only allows a few mm of untwisted cable.