Thread: Recommend network/internet monitoring solutions

Thanks

Recommend network/internet monitoring solutions

Hi Guys,

This is an area I have little experience in so I'm looking for some input.

A client I'm coming to know has a retail business sustaining a network of 30-40 desktops, 6 Windows-based servers, a couple of Linux servers and their backups, and it runs over several physical locations via VPN, not to mention an FTP link to a mother site that is very active in sending data backwards and forwards. A number of the sites have been upgraded to a dedicated fibre line internet connection but a couple still run on ADSL.

I'm coming to this in the middle of a progressive upgrade and one of the glaring needs is some way to monitor the network, particularly to identify internet or VPN drop outs, the causes of those drop outs and also bandwidth usage etc. Management tools for that would be a plus.

Basically, at present, it comes from a history of a rather patchwork build without a real plan in place, so the ideal is to move it gradually onto a planned setup. As part of that, can any of you recommend any tools - hardware or software - for better visibility and management of networks?

One option I've looked at is the Sophos UTM system - LINK - and there's a local company who are licensed and can provide support for it. So that's a plus.

Others on the team are actually responsible for this area of things but as someone who oversees the customer in general I'd like to do my own digging around.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Re: Recommend network/internet monitoring solutions

Might be a little basic, but PRTG?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Yup PRTG lets you have 100 sensors for free IIRC.

Very nice product, ridiculously configurable.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Thanks guys!
    I'll take a deeper look.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Yup PRTG lets you have 100 sensors for free IIRC.

Very nice product, ridiculously configurable.
    I found out about the free version recently. Looked at it a little earlier today - they do a month of unlimited as a trial, or 100 for free 'forever'.
    I couldn't find anything about a non-windows install in my brief look though - is it win or nothing?

Regarding the original question - it sounds like you want monitoring rather than firewall/gateway stuff no? (PRTG would get my vote for that) But if they want to track internet users +sites, then sophos would be a good way to go

On Sophos = a (very good) network techie I know recommended the sophos home utm to me after he'd been asked to review the biz version. He said it was impressive.

Thread Information