Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming on ADSL 8mbps UNWIRED! Help

Thanks

Gaming on ADSL 8mbps UNWIRED! Help

I want to make sure I have the best connection to my internet.

I have BT Broadband, and the problem I'm facing is that my BT Home Hub is stuck in my living room (I don't have any phone jacks anywhere else in the house) and so I cannot have a wired connection to my Desktop which will be in a different room.

Unfortunately for me, rewiring isn't an option.

I've found two methods that I can use, but I am unsure of how efficient they will be for gaming.

1) Wireless
    2) "HomePlug"

I've done tests from my Laptop, both Wired and Wireless, and I've obtained the same Ping times, same Download, and same Upload speeds on both! Does this mean I have a good wireless connection and it would be no different from being Wired? Or when I'm gaming will I notice a huge difference?

*I'm ordering everything from Scan, so if I'm going Wireless then I would like the BEST wireless setup I can possibly get on my network... If wireless is my best option, then can someone please tell me if any Network Card, Ethernet Cable, and Router options would maximize my performance, if so, can you please show me which ones to order, as I have no idea which ones would be best for my BT Broadband connection.

Here is a list of "Hubs and Switches"; "Network Cables"; and "Network Cards" to choose from: http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-34-58.59.61-0

And here is a list of "Wireless -> ADSL Modem Routers" http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-49-430-0

I don't know what to buy! lol please help! I don't care about cost! I only care about quality! Thank you!

But if anyone knows anything about HomePlug and thinks that I will obtain a better connection from it, then please help me with that instead. The HomePlug I'm looking at is this one:

"ZyXEL PLA-401 200Mbps Homeplug with AV Single"
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=687208

What would be the best router for this?

Imagine that you have a computer and you want to squeeze the maximum performance out of your internet connection, but you don't have ANY network devices: you don't have an ethernet cable, you don't have a router, you don't have a modem, you don't have any plugs or connectors... You have as much money as you want to spend, but you can only spend it on Networking, what do you buy?????

Sorry for not knowing such basic things, but...

How do I know if I can use fiber optics? Are fiber optics cables/modems/routers compatible with an ADSL connection?

If not... what about Cat-6 ?? Can I use a Cat-6 cable to plug into my modem/router and receive a better transmission? How do I know if I can use Cat-6? If I'm using HomePlug, will I be able to plug in a 0.5m Cat-6 ethernet cable, and connect it to my Ethernet port on my computer and have a good (ADSL) internet connection?

Thanks

Splash

Re: Gaming on ADSL 8mbps UNWIRED! Help

The 200Mbps Homeplug stuff is going to be your best bet, dependent on the quality of the wiring in your house if remiring *really* isn't an option (and nor is just running Cat5e from the router to the next room).

As for fibre the simple answer is no. It's not for what you're wanting to do, and unless you live in a mansion there's really no need to spend the extra on it. Cat5e will do gigabit speeds easily, not that you'll get anywhere near that for what you're intending.

If your electrical wiring is VERY poor (other than suggesting ripping it out and rewiring ) then I guess if you're not prepared to run cabling then wireless really is your only option, but you need to be aware that it will be far more susceptible to dropouts and interference. I've no idea if the Home Hub supports wireless bridging, but if so you may be able to minimise problems by picking up another WAP/wireless router as an access point and bridge them wirelessly, the run Cat5e from the WAP/router.

I know the old Home Hubs were pretty nasty stability and security-wise, but I have no idea what the new ones are like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    The 200Mbps Homeplug stuff is going to be your best bet, dependent on the quality of the wiring in your house if remiring *really* isn't an option (and nor is just running Cat5e from the router to the next room).

As for fibre the simple answer is no. It's not for what you're wanting to do, and unless you live in a mansion there's really no need to spend the extra on it. Cat5e will do gigabit speeds easily, not that you'll get anywhere near that for what you're intending.

If your electrical wiring is VERY poor (other than suggesting ripping it out and rewiring ) then I guess if you're not prepared to run cabling then wireless really is your only option, but you need to be aware that it will be far more susceptible to dropouts and interference. I've no idea if the Home Hub supports wireless bridging, but if so you may be able to minimise problems by picking up another WAP/wireless router as an access point and bridge them wirelessly, the run Cat5e from the WAP/router.

I know the old Home Hubs were pretty nasty stability and security-wise, but I have no idea what the new ones are like.
    Thanks for the reply.

I currently am on wireless on my laptop from my home hub.

I actually get the same test results from speedtest.net when testing wireless as I do when testing wired.

But I read that homeplug is better than wireless, in which case I would use that. I think the wiring in my house is fine... I don't see why it wouldn't be. My problem is just that I cannot connect directly to my Home Hub, and since I have hardwood floors, it would look bad to run a long line from the hub, up the wall, out the door, through the hall-way, in whatever imaginable way possible, it would still be visible and that's not an option I'm afraid...

I was thinking of getting this setup:

Intel PWLA 8391GT Pro/1000GT Desktop Gbit (Copper) Network Card (£28)
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=170720

ZyXEL PLA-401 200Mbps Homeplug with AV Single ** Exclusive Price ** (£47)
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=687208

ZyXEL Prestige 660R-D1 Postable ADSL2+ Router 1x10/100M (£23)
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=869085

0.5m CAT-5e RJ45 UTP Moulded Patch Cable 10/100/GbE (£0.40)
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=15102

What do you think? I thought that if I connect my PC to the ZyXEL router, and then connect the ZyXEL router to the ZyXEL homeplug, then I would be getting the best possible speed?

Or would I just connect my pc directly to the Homeplug, skipping the router?

Or, since my wireless connection seems to be good (I've never had any noticable problems, my download speeds, upload speeds, and ping are all the same on my wireless tests as on my wired tests) would it be safe to assume that a good wireless adaptor would do the trick?

If anyone has any knowledge on this please share it with me. Keep in mind, I'm planning on gaming, and I need the best possible ping, I can't lag during gameplay!

Thanks

Splash

Firstly a gigabit card is useless if you only have 100Mbit switch. I'm highly doubtful you'll see anywhere near the 200Mb speeds claimed by the homeplug, and at that point the weak link in your connection is your internet connection.

There's also no need for that Zyxel router - unless I'm much mistaken all you need is to run

Home Hub - Homeplug - wall - Homeplug - PC

Adding a second router is only likely to increase latency.

As for continuing on wireless... if you have no complaints then don't break it, but bear in mind that if your neighbours add wireless in range of yours it can easily cause problems (granted, you could switch channels), plus sticking with wires makes your network easier to secure.

Thanks

Firstly a gigabit card is useless if you only have 100Mbit switch. I'm highly doubtful you'll see anywhere near the 200Mb speeds claimed by the homeplug, and at that point the weak link in your connection is your internet connection.

There's also no need for that Zyxel router - unless I'm much mistaken all you need is to run

As for continuing on wireless... if you have no complaints then don't break it, but bear in mind that if your neighbours add wireless in range of yours it can easily cause problems (granted, you could switch channels), plus sticking with wires makes your network easier to secure.
    Well my wireless is encrypted, and I haven't had any problems... I've done so many speed tests and compared them and sometimes my wireless even outperforms my wired connection...

I guess I'll try wireless on my PC, then. I don't think that my BT connection is good enough for wired to make a difference

What is the best wireless card for my connection? If I get one that's too fast, will that be bad? Or will it just be "a waste of money"?

Thanks

Splash

You'd just be wasting your money to be honest.

seen, but not often heard
    Thanks

are you talking about internet gaming, or LAN gaming?

If you have an 8mb internet connection, then a 200mb homeplug is overkill... cos you will still only get 8mb from the broadband

for LAN gaming, yes, a quicker network connection will help... as long as both (all) pcs have the same max speed, and the router/switch etc

8. Received thanks from:

Robscure (28-11-2008)

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Gaming on ADSL 8mbps UNWIRED! Help

Quote Originally Posted by dshepsman View Post
    are you talking about internet gaming, or LAN gaming?

If you have an 8mb internet connection, then a 200mb homeplug is overkill... cos you will still only get 8mb from the broadband

for LAN gaming, yes, a quicker network connection will help... as long as both (all) pcs have the same max speed, and the router/switch etc
    Internet gaming...

I have 8mb internet... I don't care if something is overkill, as long as it works.

I just don't want any lag....

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Says it all really. There you have stability, speed and security, job done. I have a pair of the cheap 85mbps homeplugs from Scan & they work beautifully well. At under £30 a pair, total bargain.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

11. Received thanks from:

Robscure (28-11-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    Says it all really. There you have stability, speed and security, job done. I have a pair of the cheap 85mbps homeplugs from Scan & they work beautifully well. At under £30 a pair, total bargain.
    Thanks!

adam1701

get a linksys wrt54g router, with tomato firmware. connection is solid. plug it into your bt hub and dont use the BT wireless, as it'll suck. more to the point, bt suck as an isp, so get a better one

14. Received thanks from:

Robscure (28-11-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adam1701 View Post
    get a linksys wrt54g router, with tomato firmware. connection is solid. plug it into your bt hub and dont use the BT wireless, as it'll suck. more to the point, bt suck as an isp, so get a better one
    Is that a wireless connection?

I would be connecting wirelessly to the linksys wrt54g w/ tomato firmware?

What is tomato firmware?

Thanks for the advice just explain it a bit more because I'm inept lol

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

The AirPace Wifi Card is very very good.

My router is downstairs and my PC upstairs. The signal easily gets around a 7 feet thick wall to give an excellent connection.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    The signal easily gets around a 7 feet thick wall to give an excellent connection.
    Do you live in a castle?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    Do you live in a castle?
    LOL nice one...

Thanks for that tip on the wifi...

I don't know... I think I may get HomePlug, because I keep hearing that it's better for gaming than wifi... but that it just transfers not as good as true wired, which I'm not so concerned about if that only is affecting downloading files, and/or transfering from one PC to another, because I don't do that.

I just want the best upload and Ping (latency) for gaming purposes only! So any tips for that are appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Gaming on ADSL 8mbps UNWIRED! Help

Well I've actually run into some issues...

1) I have BT Broadband (sucks, I know, but I'm stuck with it because it's my wife's setup and I can't change it)
    2) I have to use BT Home Hub (because we have a phone connected to it and I can't change that, either)

Supposedly a router can make a difference in your speeds? So I can't have a better router...

So I guess I have to just get a wireless card and use it with my Home Hub?

............. Can someone tell me what my best option is for online gaming?

Is there a way that I can transform one of my wall sockets into a phone line so I can have a direct wired connection?

Can I use two different routers or will they interfere?

Can I have two different ADSL companies at the same time? So that my wife can keep the BT Home Hub and Phone, and I can have BE* for gaming?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information