• Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

Speedtouch 330 and Virgin.net under Ubuntu

I have not posted on these forums for some time, but i could really use some sound advice on this little problem. I have been a windows user for many years, but recently my patience has been tested, so i decided i would test drive Ubuntu in the hope of finding a permanent replacement. Currently i have a duel boot system, WinXP and Ubuntu each with its own separate drive.

Installation was pretty simple, and much faster than i had expected. But i soon realised any windows networking knowledge i had was not going to help me set up my USB ADSL modem on Ubuntu. I have found a few related webpages but they are all outdated and have not helped me get anywhere.

So if anyone can guide me through the process of setting up my modem and connecting to the net through Ubuntu i would be grateful.

Also, it seems a firmware installation is required to recognize the modem, will this have any effect on my 'working' internet connection through windows.

I connect with Virgin.net, my modem is the Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem. I'm running Ubuntu 6.10.

I am new to Linux in general so please keep any explanation as simple as possible.

Many Thanks.
    Main PC : Abit IP35-Pro | Q6600 G0 @ 3GHz | 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 8500 | MSI N460 GTX HAWX | 1 x Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Antec 182 | Corsair HX620 | Dell 2407WFP-HC | Windows 10 x64
    Server : HP MicroServer N40L | 16 GB RAM | 4 X 1 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 | ESXi 6.0 NAS : Synology DS-408 - 4 x 3GB WD RED HTPC : Acer Revo RL70 | LibreElec

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    Knowing very little of Linux Networking, I'd have to say getting a modem/router would be the best bet, then you can use the NIC to connect to the net, rather than having to setup a USB modem

Dave

Registered+
    Thanks
    I second dave87's advice.
    I had exactly the same problem as you and I went through an absolute nightmare with Linux and the ST 330. I followed various forum advice and downloaded nvidia drivers galore etc, which were all supposed to work. None of the suggested fixes worked. Eventually my pc crashed in a very big way. If I had not previously backed up all my data on a second hard drive that would have been goodnight.(I currently use openSUSE 10.2). Please, please, do back up your data.I use Ghost.
    The absolutely best piece of advice from one poster on Amazon was to pick up a large club hammer, place the ST 330 on a hard surface and apply the hammer to the modem in a meaningful way! I strongly advise you to follow that course of action. You could get a few pennies for it but you would not have that wonderful feeling of satisfaction as with the first method.
    The second piece of advice is to get a wired router modem (not the less secure wifi).
    I can recommend the Netgear DG834, a good, reliable bit of kit. It works with Linux without any problems at all. This was the item that the Amazon poster used.
    You will also need a cat5e patch cable of suitable length. Good luck.

Registered+
    Thanks
    PS
    The added advantage of the Netgear DG834 and similar units is that there is also a built-in additional firewall which the ST 330 does not have.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have just remembered that a 1m cat5e cable is included with the DG834.
    Please do not get the Netgear DG632, it has poor reviews. Visit Amazon and see the glowing reviews for the DG834. Amazon are selling it for £43 inc delivery.
    Visit the Netgear site for advice on installation and setting a strong password. Please note that the username (admin) CANNOT be changed. You MUST change the password (password).
    Basically just follow the instructions that come with the DG834 and at some stage type

http://192.168.0.1

in the URL bar of your browser. Do not have anything else running on your pc. If you do not already use it then I recommend Mozilla Firefox (plus Thunderbird) instead of IE/OE.
    Do have all your ISP details handy.
    Good luck.

Registered+
    Thanks
    One final point, before you start, do remember to uninstall the ST 330 software prior to dealing with the DG834.

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    Router is by far the most stress free option. Beachboy, the edit option was put there for a reason
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Registered+
    Thanks
    spazman, I am just getting to grips with posting. Thanks for pointing out the edit facility, which I will use in the future.

Thanks
    • PeteSmith's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB 8500 Crucial Ballistix
      • Storage:
      • System: Crucial 128GB M4 SSD Storage: 2x500GB WD5000AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 650
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

Success

I got it working eventually, turns out it was a firmware issue. Originally i was using the firmware my working windows installation used, however Ubuntu didn't seem to like this, so i tried a few others.

Very nearly gave up on the whole process, i know using a router would be much easier but i wasn't prepared to dish out on buying another router (this connection is temporary for a few months, before i move back to an area where i can get cable).

anyway it seems ignorance and determination won in the end.

If anyone else ever has this problem, and uses a speedtouch 330 USB modem, this Guide might help. Make sure you check what revision your modem is, mine is the black revision 4 model, the ZZZL_3.012 firmware worked for me in the end.
    Main PC : Abit IP35-Pro | Q6600 G0 @ 3GHz | 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 8500 | MSI N460 GTX HAWX | 1 x Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Antec 182 | Corsair HX620 | Dell 2407WFP-HC | Windows 10 x64
    Server : HP MicroServer N40L | 16 GB RAM | 4 X 1 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 | ESXi 6.0 NAS : Synology DS-408 - 4 x 3GB WD RED HTPC : Acer Revo RL70 | LibreElec

Thanks

linux with virgin UK

Pete,

Just like you :
    "
    I connect with Virgin.net, my modem is the Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem. I'm running Ubuntu 6.10
    "
    And my modem is v4.1, black, just like yours.

Please help me to avoid re-inventing the wheel and let me know which parts of the Guide you've followed and which ones you've skipped.

Does virgin use PPPoE or PPPoA ?

Hopefully your suffering was not in vain and it will help other people on Virgin to use linux.

Thanks in advance,
    Matogrosso

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteSmith View Post
    I have not posted on these forums for some time, but i could really use some sound advice on this little problem. I have been a windows user for many years, but recently my patience has been tested, so i decided i would test drive Ubuntu in the hope of finding a permanent replacement. Currently i have a duel boot system, WinXP and Ubuntu each with its own separate drive.

Installation was pretty simple, and much faster than i had expected. But i soon realised any windows networking knowledge i had was not going to help me set up my USB ADSL modem on Ubuntu. I have found a few related webpages but they are all outdated and have not helped me get anywhere.

So if anyone can guide me through the process of setting up my modem and connecting to the net through Ubuntu i would be grateful.

Also, it seems a firmware installation is required to recognize the modem, will this have any effect on my 'working' internet connection through windows.

I connect with Virgin.net, my modem is the Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem. I'm running Ubuntu 6.10.

I am new to Linux in general so please keep any explanation as simple as possible.

Many Thanks.
    The firmware does much more than let you 'recognise' the modem, it's required for the modem to actually do anything at all, the Speedtouch 330 is basically a tiny embedded 'computer' of sorts that has a more or less generic processor that loads program code to make it do what it does, the firmware is this program code, this is normally built into Windows drivers so you don't need to think about it. However, assuming Ubuntu automatically detected the modem, it's simply a matter of dumping the firmware with the proper name in /lib/firmware so udev can automatically load the firmware when the driver module is inserted into the kernel. Then all you need to do is set up ppp (Ubuntu probably has some fancy GUI with NetworkManager for this), and then you can 'dial' a PPPoA connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by matogrosso View Post
    Pretty much everyone that uses BT's network for tunnelling to their own use PPPoA, but modern DSLAMs use both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • PeteSmith's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB 8500 Crucial Ballistix
      • Storage:
      • System: Crucial 128GB M4 SSD Storage: 2x500GB WD5000AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 650
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Quote Originally Posted by matogrosso View Post
    Pete,

Just like you :
    "
    I connect with Virgin.net, my modem is the Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem. I'm running Ubuntu 6.10
    "
    And my modem is v4.1, black, just like yours.

Please help me to avoid re-inventing the wheel and let me know which parts of the Guide you've followed and which ones you've skipped.

Hopefully your suffering was not in vain and it will help other people on Virgin to use linux.

Thanks in advance,
    Matogrosso
    Matogrosso,

If you follow the steps outlined in the 1st section for PPPoA, ensure you edit the 'speedtch' file with your login details then you should be up and running soon enough. I had trouble finding the correct firmware for my modem, but once i had setting up the connection was pretty straight forward.

If you still have problems using the guide, perhaps this may be worth a try (something i found while doing a quick search): http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/17403

HTH

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable
    I tried getting a USB BT Voyager modem to work on Fedora (5) it was a joke, i have only ever heard of the Speedtouch and later Voyager USB modem models to work with Linux.

Although Ubuntu is becoming ever more popular and there are alot more support sites popping up, glad you got it fixed.

Thanks

Re: Speedtouch 330 and Virgin.net under Ubuntu

Thanks Pete. It worked for me on Ubuntu 7.10 Feisty. First I tried with Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 but it doesn't like my hardware for some reason. And without access to the internet I couldn't upgrade the system (catch22 situation). Thankfully Ubuntu 7.10 Feisty works fine.

Thread Information