Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iPad for toddlers Pros and Cons

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: iPad for toddlers Pros and Cons

Having been considering getting our little one an iPad there views in this thread have been an interesting read.

Thanks
    • Revvvhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • OCZ SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000 with braided red cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 450D & H100i
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XT2420L
      • Internet:
      • 152Mb/s

I saw the other day that fisher price make an ipad case. To make it as toddler proof as possible.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price...rice+ipad+case

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Why lump toddlers, pros and cons together when talking about iPads? They are 3 distict demographs
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Hello everyone

New here in the forum
    I think that this stuff shouldn´t be kept from our children. It´s OK to let them handle iPads, smartphones etc but I also think that it should be restricted to a amount of time and also with parent supervision. We allow our 4 year old daughter to play on the iPad, she has a lot of games installed that are both entertaining and educative but if for some reason she plays more I can already see that it affects her mood, she gets grumpy and irritated.

Thanks

Pro: it can be educative if used correctly and with parent guidance
    Con: can do more damage than good if children are left to play all day long with it....

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

con. Toddler+ipad+jam
    pro... None. How about reading with them from these things called books. For the price of an ipad you could buy them a library and still have change.

Thanks

We're facing this question right now. Phones/Tablets are an obvious draw for just about everyone let alone toddlers. My two kids (Boy, 3, and Girl, almost 2) love to play with any phone or tablet they can get hold of. I've got mixed feelings about it. Their tendency seemed to be to be a little too engaged with those devices, so I started to limit their time/access. It was a bit of a fight at first and one which seemed disproportionate compared to anything else - we could cut back on snacks, toys or whatever else and not see the reaction that happens with the tech. It did feel like a bit of a battle and sort of arbitrary in terms of deciding how much exposure to give etc. Same with the TV.

Then I dropped my phone and cracked the glass. That was that. My phone was now not available. I had two days of requests for my phone but there was no option of it and after that no requests.

I think for me, whilst the tech exposure is nice I see more potential developmental hindrance in too much tech than too little. I'd rather my kids grew up engaging with books, being able to entertain themselves, playing with physical toys etc. and developing all those skills rather than the made-for-ease apps. I have to admit I've not read any studies on the subject, but it seems to me that challenges are good for growth and development and although some digital puzzles/games might aid mental development, there is very little manual/spacial learning going on which you get from physical toys and puzzles.

I might just be paranoid but at these earliest stages I'd rather expose/over-expose my kids to the 'real world' (tactile world), and encourage their imagination and ability to over come boredom, than expose/over-expose them to information overload and virtual stimuli.

I've not decided exactly where the limit should be yet, but this is basically where I am in all this.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

8. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (19-02-2015)

Thanks

The fact that I am allowing the child to play with an iPad does not mean that we don't read anymore, play or draw, make other fun activities ik9000. Every day we read together from books, play outside and do fun stuff...
    However, you can not deny that we live in an era where this technology is present in our every day life and our children will use it. Why not learn that it can be used to their advantage when done the right way?

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't mind toddlers learn how to use tablets, but one should moderate on how much time they let them use it

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I remember at school we were taught never give children tablets, and definitely don't take them from strangers. They said parents should keep tablets in a locked cupboard out of reach. Same goes for bleach and other household cleaners. Besides children much prefer calpol from the medicine spoon to tablets... As for ipads, the only eye pad children should know about is Pudsey's thanks to school non-uniform days.

just kidding...

Seriously though if you do relent and buy him one please please buy the headphones to go with it. I have sat on too many miserable train journeys hearing the incessant repetitive "bring bling beep" of the ipad courtesy of parents trying to entertain children with an ipad. Either turn the volume off or buy headphones. I imagine it might also help preserve your sanity too! If you're worried about volume their are volume limiter jack plugs you can buy that prevent it from going too loud irrespective of how loud the device itself is turned up.

12. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (16-02-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm still torn as to weather the kids should have tablets at age 2 or not.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • peje1873's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS B85+
      • CPU:
      • i7-4770k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD, 8x2 TB RAID5
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD4600 Graphics
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 500W Modular
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Silencio 652S
      • Operating System:
      • MS2012 R2
      • Monitor(s):
      • None.

I have an iPad2 attached the the headrest in front of my sons car seat, I take my Granda out for a long drive every Saturday morning so the iPad keeps Robbie amused

Thanks

Pros: It distracts them endlessly.

Cons: iPad neck. It's a highly anti-social, isolating activity. Can't play with friends/siblings, etc.

Thanks

As much as possible I don't want my little one to get exposed in iPhone and iPad. Not only they get exposed to youtube and some apps games they also lose interest in some important things that they should enjoy. I also noticed that when a kid is exposed to gadget they are hard headed and do not pay attention to what you are trying to say to them. It's no good and there are times they are a super hyper when playing to other kids.

Registered+
    Thanks

Disagree completely, my three are all being very "interactive" at the moment with the one Hudl...

OK THAT'S ENOUGH STOP HITTING YOUR SISTER... NOOOO! DON'T!..HOW DID YOU EVEN... WHAT?!

BRB

Registered+
    Thanks

Some of the stuff that kids can and do easily stumble upon is disturbing even for adults. Although at this point it seems cruel and backwards, I do think until better parental controls arrive (if ever) kids should be kept away from it as much as possible. Social media and youtube is greatly responsible for some of the idiocies we have in the world currently unfortunately.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information