Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lian LI PC-A10 case + Seasonic S12 PSU = Mismatch

Thanks

Lian LI PC-A10 case + Seasonic S12 PSU = Mismatch

I am just about to install my Seasonic S12 PSU into my Lian Li PC-10A case. The PSU has to be installed "high", that is, with the fan vertical. However, the holes in the back panel do not line up with the holes in the PSU.

First, if anyone knows, should this PSU be placed with the power inlet and power switch at the lower or top part of the back panel of the PSU?

Second, should I simple drill new holes in the back panel? (The back panel seems to be cut for a PSU –– or, as is the case here, two PSUs –– with the fan on the back panel of the PSU.)

Thanks
    • FInalD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M2N32-SLi Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • AMD AM2 4600+ 2.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS2 2GB Matched Pair
      • Storage:
      • 3x Seagate Baracuda 7200.10 320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor X1950 XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper 580 Type-R
      • Case:
      • LianLi PC7 Plus II
      • Monitor(s):
      • ViewSonic VX922
      • Internet:
      • 2.2MB DSL
    It should normally be that the power switch is at the top of the case. If you turn it around in the hole you should find the right way round for it.

FinalD

Thanks
    Funny thing is that since this is a back panel with cutouts for two PSUs, one of the cutout needs to be covered by a plate (included). However, there is only threaded holes for the screws holding this plate on one side of the back panel. So, the way the cutouts are done in the back panel, it means that the power intake and switch must be at the bottom part of the back panel.

Well, that will work, as the cables are long enough to reach everywhere.

With that out of the way, it remains that the back panel holes are not lined up with the PSU holes. I guess drilling is the only option!?

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Every Lian-Li case that i have used has had an aluminium backplate that you can flip over to mount the psu whichever way you want. Try taking the main plate off and turning it over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Every Lian-Li case that i have used has had an aluminium backplate that you can flip over to mount the psu whichever way you want. Try taking the main plate off and turning it over.
    Clunk, perhaps you have never had any problems because you have not had a two-PSU case.

As you can see from the image here ...

... there is a tab with a hole at bottom center of the back panel. That limits how you can turn the panel over. Also, you see four small holes (they are threaded). That is where you attach a solid plate to cover the side you are not using when you use only one PSU. But note that there are no corresponding holes on the other side.

Now, no matter how you turn the back panel (considering tab or not), only one hole of the PSU (lower left) lines up with the oblong holes in the panel.

See the light pin at the lower, right corner of the fan cover? It is a pin that is welded or riveted to the bottom plate on which the PSU rests (about 3/4 of an inch above the floor of the case). The pin has a threaded hole on top. I have no idea what it is for :-)

Out towards the yellow wire bundle, at the edge of the bottom plate, the heaviness of the PSU makes the plate sag. I will put a piece of wood there to prevent the sagging.

This is not a good design. I think that Lian Li released this two-PSU case a tad too early, before having thought through the PSU installation design enough.

Thanks
    Flip it 180 degrees so that the front faces the back & vice versa, but keep the top at the top and the bottom at the bottom if you know what I mean. That way, you will have a mirror image that allows you to fit your PSU properly.

Thanks
    You are right, Scrandman. Thank you!

The reason I did not discover this was that I was hellbent on having the fan pointing the other way, so that the fan was pointing towards the big, empty space and not towards the side wall of the case, which allows for only about 12 mm between the fan and the wall. Isn't that a dumb design? Doesn't that mean that the fan will have to work much harder to get the air in, and that there will be more noise?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans L View Post
    Clunk, perhaps you have never had any problems because you have not had a two-PSU case.

As you can see from the image here ...

... there is a tab with a hole at bottom center of the back panel. That limits how you can turn the panel over. Also, you see four small holes (they are threaded). That is where you attach a solid plate to cover the side you are not using when you use only one PSU. But note that there are no corresponding holes on the other side.

Now, no matter how you turn the back panel (considering tab or not), only one hole of the PSU (lower left) lines up with the oblong holes in the panel.

See the light pin at the lower, right corner of the fan cover? It is a pin that is welded or riveted to the bottom plate on which the PSU rests (about 3/4 of an inch above the floor of the case). The pin has a threaded hole on top. I have no idea what it is for :-)

Out towards the yellow wire bundle, at the edge of the bottom plate, the heaviness of the PSU makes the plate sag. I will put a piece of wood there to prevent the sagging.

This is not a good design. I think that Lian Li released this two-PSU case a tad too early, before having thought through the PSU installation design enough.
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Clunk, you were right in the first place. As I explained, I never tried with the fan closest to the case wall. As i said, it now fits, but I'm not happy.

Thanks
    How come you're not happy?
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)
    Can we pls have some pics of the case with the psu and other bits in it.

Ta.

Thanks
    How come you're not happy?
    Because I would rather have had the fan pointing towards the big open space for the second PSU. Now, the fan has about 12 mm of space to the wall of the case. That cannot be good, in my humble view.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amjedm View Post
    Can we pls have some pics of the case with the psu and other bits in it.

Ta.
    Pics coming tomorrow.

Thanks
    cant you just flip the psu over 180 degrees and shift it to the other side? then itll be taking air from the gap where the other psu would have been?
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    No, that was what I tried before, and its a no-hole situation :-) To make this work, however, I could make an entirely new back panel, and I may do that one day.

Thanks
    looking at the picture you posted above ^^ what is stopping that fitting on as it is? The screw holes look to be ok.........cant you slide the psu out a bit, screw the plate to the psu and then screw the plate to the case? if not, whats stopping it?
    stupid betond belief.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information