• Case:
      • Sharkoon Rebel9, two low rpm case fans
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb
      • Internet:
      • cable

Re: Need help buying Gaming PC

I'm sorry Cat, I disagree.

1) If you want a decently quiet PC, the stock-cooler with a fan spinning at 2-3000rpm is quite anothing.
    2) Quad cores consume more power and therefore produce more heat. This makes the whole stock-cooler issue worse.
    3) How many games benefiting from quad-cores can you list? From the back of my head I could only think of 'World in Conflict'. Unless you use software PhysX, the graphics card is most likely to be the limiting factor.
    4) Dual GPU solution are slightly fishy. Many/some games won't scale with a second graphics card and often there are driver issues. Then you'll also have twice the heat to get out of your case. I'm doubtful about the cost effectiveness as well, as selling your used card and buying a newer faster card, is probably the better way (considering the problems with Crossfire or SLI).

Don't plan computers for likely future applications. Plan them for the present. I doesn't make sense trying to anticipate every possible development. The turnover cycles are simply too rapid.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Cistron View Post

1) If you want a decently quiet PC, the stock-cooler with a fan spinning at 2-3000rpm is quite anothing.
    2) Quad cores consume more power and therefore produce more heat. This makes the whole stock-cooler issue worse.
    3) How many games benefiting from quad-cores can you list? From the back of my head I could only think of 'World in Conflict'. Unless you use software PhysX, the graphics card is most likely to be the limiting factor.
    4) Dual GPU solution are slightly fishy. Many/some games won't scale with a second graphics card and often there are driver issues. Then you'll also have twice the heat to get out of your case. I'm doubtful about the cost effectiveness as well, as selling your used card and buying a newer faster card, is probably the better way (considering the problems with Crossfire or SLI).

Don't plan computers for likely future applications. Plan them for the present. I doesn't make sense trying to anticipate every possible development. The turnover cycles are simply too rapid.
    I just don't get this anti quad core thing. If you want the smoothest and most pleasant computing experience then I don't see how you can ever have too many cores. 2 cores will be maxed with just World of Warcraft playing and Firefox doing something stupid in the background.

Dual core: Tomorrows budget platform, today!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Unless you are into massive overclocking or low noise PCs the stock coolers for both Intel and AMD CPUs are good enough for the majority of people.

In fact the AMD stock coolers are not that bad TBH:

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/phenom-2-cnq-p1.html

Tell that to the owners of Shuttles(like me for example) and other SFF gaming system owners who seem to have no issues with quads and higher end graphics cards in their builds.

The OP did not not state a low power consumption build did they?? The vast majority of people I know have desktops for apps which require more processing power like gaming,3D work or media editing. They don't really care about power consumption or heat production TBH and are more interested in the maximum processing power they can get for the money. No person I know even keeps their main computer on for more than 48 hours in one stretch. The only computers I know which most people keep on for long periods are servers and TBH you do not even need a dual core processor in many cases even for that.

Have you ever thought how much power large LCD displays suck up for example??

If you want low power stick with a notebook or use a low power processor like an Atom. Gaming is in fact a huge user of power.

Except you are being very short sighted TBH. If the OP wants to keep the computer as long as possible between upgrades a quad core does make sense. More and more games are cross platform. The processors in the XBOX360 and PS3 are designed not for raw mhz but to handle as many threads as possible.Hence PC versions of these games and the game engines behind them will make better use of multiple cores. Also the penetration of triple and quad cores into the lowe ends of the market is increasing rapidly too.

If you intend to upgrade every 6 to 12 months then you can get away with using a dual core ATM but if the OP wants to keep the computer longer before an upgrade then a quad core makes more sense TBH. Even then games like FarCry2 and GTA4 make use of quad cores.

The OP wants this and TBH many people on these forums(not me) use crossfire and SLI setups and seem to have no issues.

[/QUOTE]

????????????? Except the fact is that is certain that in the next few years CPUs are going to gain more and more processing cores or at the very least have tech like multithreading being enabled on more and more CPUs.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-06-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

See: Far Cry 2 & BioShock also, not to mention the larger caches present on quads in addition to the behind the scenes processes from the OS that can run on potentially redundant cores.

Seriously, the old 'dual-cores are better for gaming' argument is not only old but wrong, and was nearly only ever limited to gaming anyway. How do you know what game engines are going to benefit from when the christmas games hit, or would you suggest he upgrades then rather than now and cost more in the long run.

I and presumably a lot of others cant believe we are reading this on a tech enthusiast site.

My suggestions:

AMD usually show better gains in gaming benchmarks but whether you consider a 2/3 FPS gain 'advantage' when you've already surpassed 60 FPS is up to your discretion.

Intel however usually hold the fort in every other area and a cheap P45 + C2Q combo can be picked up for the same price as a similair AMD system.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Phenom II X4 955 review:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16796/4

Qualified Eye-Tician Iron Sights's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Iron Sights's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-970A-UDP3
      • CPU:
      • FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • not enough
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 380
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2411z 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • Rupert Murdock :(

im pretty much sure i want a quad core as im looking to buy for the future. The next thing to buy is a mobo which im stuck cos i want to get ddr3 but...
    the advance from ddr2 to ddr3 isnt huge from what i hear, however with 4gb ddr3 ram at £53 makes it quite tempting

Thanks
    • Cistron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E2160@3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB PC6400 OCZ 4-4-4-15
      • Storage:
      • WD 320GB AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor HD3870 SCS3
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Pro82+ 385W
      • Case:
      • Sharkoon Rebel9, two low rpm case fans
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I just don't get this anti quad core thing. If you want the smoothest and most pleasant computing experience then I don't see how you can ever have too many cores. 2 cores will be maxed with just World of Warcraft playing and Firefox doing something stupid in the background.
    Impressive, I've never managed that so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Unless you are into massive overclocking or low noise PCs the stock coolers for both Intel and AMD CPUs are good enough for the majority of people.

In fact the AMD stock coolers are not that bad TBH:

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/phenom-2-cnq-p1.html
    Do you really want to sit next to a fan that spins at 3000rpm? My idea of a quiet computer is far from low noise computing. I'm just thinking about a sensible noise level.

The OP did not not state a low power consumption build did they??
    It doesn't hurt unfolding all possible options. Besides, my suggestion isn't a low power build, otherwise it wouldn't have a discrete graphics card.

The vast majority of people I know have desktops for apps which require more processing power like gaming, 3D work or media editing. They don't really care about power consumption or heat production TBH and are more interested in the maximum processing power they can get for the money. No person I know even keeps their main computer on for more than 48 hours in one stretch. The only computers I know which most people keep on for long periods are servers and TBH you do not even need a dual core processor in many cases even for that.
    How old are you again?

Have you ever thought how much power large LCD displays suck up for example??
    Sure, but there's no good in throwing the towel, just because other things consume energy. How's the Tesco advert? 'Every little helps'. Otherwise we might as well all commit sucide.

Except you are being very short sighted TBH. If the OP wants to keep the computer as long as possible between upgrades a quad core does make sense. More and more games are cross platform. The processors in the XBOX360 and PS3 are designed not for raw mhz but to handle as many threads as possible.Hence PC versions of these games and the game engines behind them will make better use of multiple cores. Also the penetration of triple and quad cores into the lowe ends of the market is increasing rapidly too.
    If I remember this correctly, the XBOX360 depends on multiple threads, because the processor runs with an in-order-execution architecture.

If you intend to upgrade every 6 to 12 months then you can get away with using a dual core ATM but if the OP wants to keep the computer longer before an upgrade then a quad core makes more sense TBH.
    Do you really believe that the CPU requirements of games will scale that massively?

????????????? Except the fact is that is certain that in the next few years CPUs are going to gain more and more processing cores or at the very least have tech like multithreading being enabled on more and more CPUs.
    Only that in a few years your plattform will be outdated anyway and running future games will be a great pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    im pretty much sure i want a quad core as im looking to buy for the future. The next thing to buy is a mobo which im stuck cos i want to get ddr3 but...
    the advance from ddr2 to ddr3 isnt huge from what i hear, however with 4gb ddr3 ram at £53 makes it quite tempting
    If you run software already that benefits from a quad-core by all means get one. I still believe that dual-cores deliver more than enough performance for games (*), whilst being cheaper and easier to cool than their bigger cusins.

(*) Have you recently seen a game falter due to lack of CPU power? And do you think this paradigm is going to change?

In the end, it's your money.

PS.

Qualified Eye-Tician Iron Sights's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Iron Sights's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-970A-UDP3
      • CPU:
      • FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • not enough
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 380
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2411z 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • Rupert Murdock :(

just wanted to know what u guys think of OCZ psu range, it seems cheaper than cosair but is it reliable

the general advise i get is dont go for a cheap unbranded psu, however OCZ seems reputable
    Last edited by Iron Sights; 17-06-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Very much so. My OCZ gamexstream has outlasted and actually replaced one of my corsairs. I do rate both very highly though

The modxstream would be my choice now

Thanks
    • shadowmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Kingston SSD V series 64GB + Samsung F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 5870 1GB in Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1200W Dark Power Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 832 SE
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x BenQ G2222HDL 21.5inch 1080p
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

just wanted to know what u guys think of OCZ psu range, it seems cheaper than cosair but is it reliable

the general advise i get is dont go for a cheap unbranded psu, however OCZ seems reputable
    As mike said, the ocz range are very good. They are definitely up there with the other high quality psu's (Corsair, enermax, etc)

Also they seem to be very good value for money, currently you can get the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w for £55.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The main advantages of going AM3 is a few percent performance increase and also potentially better upgrade options in the near future.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 17-06-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information