Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

  1. #1
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    In my BIOS I have my "Configure SATA as" set to IDE...

    Is AHCI better?

    Should/could I change it from IDE to AHCI?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    DDY
    DDY is offline
    Senior Member DDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,579
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked
    498 times in 354 posts
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z77M
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.2
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz Crucial Tracer
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD777777770
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G550
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    AHCI is generally a better option than IDE mode for several reasons such as NCQ and the ability to hot swap. Without getting in to too much detail, NCQ can improve disk performance depending on your setup.

    Again, depending on your hardware and OS(usually older ones e.g. XP); with AHCI you may need to install drivers during OS installation where IDE does not, these are sometimes known as RAID F6 drivers. Windows 7 and Vista doesn't normally require additional drivers, but if AHCI drivers are needed you may install them by inserting the MB driver CD when prompted.

    You can't go wrong by going for AHCI except under rare circumstances where you need to resort to IDE mode for compatibility. However, bear in mind once an OS is installed, you can't easily switch between AHCI and IDE, having said that – it’s much easier to switch on Vista and Win 7 compared to XP but it's still not a piece of cake.

    In summary:
    Stick with AHCI if it’s already AHCI
    Don’t switch to AHCI if you’ve already got an OS installed on IDE or RAID mode
    Choose AHCI if you haven’t installed or are planning to re-install a fresh OS.

  3. Received thanks from:

    Robscure (09-11-2010)

  4. #3
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    AHCI is generally a better option than IDE mode for several reasons such as NCQ and the ability to hot swap. Without getting in to too much detail, NCQ can improve disk performance depending on your setup.

    Again, depending on your hardware and OS(usually older ones e.g. XP); with AHCI you may need to install drivers during OS installation where IDE does not, these are sometimes known as RAID F6 drivers. Windows 7 and Vista doesn't normally require additional drivers, but if AHCI drivers are needed you may install them by inserting the MB driver CD when prompted.

    You can't go wrong by going for AHCI except under rare circumstances where you need to resort to IDE mode for compatibility. However, bear in mind once an OS is installed, you can't easily switch between AHCI and IDE, having said that – it’s much easier to switch on Vista and Win 7 compared to XP but it's still not a piece of cake.

    In summary:
    Stick with AHCI if it’s already AHCI
    Don’t switch to AHCI if you’ve already got an OS installed on IDE or RAID mode
    Choose AHCI if you haven’t installed or are planning to re-install a fresh OS.
    Awesome response, that cleared up my questions, thank you very much

  5. #4
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,690
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked
    1,153 times in 1,066 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    Actually it can be fairly easy to swap between IDE and AHCI mode if your motherboard has two separate SATA controllers

    Following the instructions here make it very simple to swap to AHCI mode on windows xp
    http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardwa...ml#post1763795

  6. #5
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Actually it can be fairly easy to swap between IDE and AHCI mode if your motherboard has two separate SATA controllers

    Following the instructions here make it very simple to swap to AHCI mode on windows xp
    http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardwa...ml#post1763795
    Hmm I'll look into that, I have to google "SATA Controllers" first, though to make sure I know precisely what they are

    [edit] just as I thought, they are the actually SATA slots on the motherboard, right? So I would have to switch from 1&2 to 5&6 for instance?

  7. #6
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,690
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked
    1,153 times in 1,066 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    It depends on the motherboard

    Normally SATA are handled by the south bridge however many motherboards have an additional controller to provide a couple of extra sata ports

    Let me just check out the details on the Asus Maximus II Formula

  8. #7
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    Actually I found this, the instructions seem simpler http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...t-reinstalling

    Now that I know more about it, thanks to you guys, I feel comfortable attempting this switch..

    I don't care if I lose my data at this point, with all the little problems I've been having that annoy me

  9. #8
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,690
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked
    1,153 times in 1,066 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    OK

    ICH10R Southbridge:
    - 6 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
    Marvell® 88SE6121 controller:
    - 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33 for up to 2 PATA devices
    - 1 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
    Silicon Image Sil5723:
    - 2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports

    Double check the manual, however I'm pretty sure it's as following
    So the south bridge is the intel controller and controls the 6 blue Sata slots
    The Silicon Image Sil5723 controls the 2 black sata ports
    and the Marvell 88SE6121 controls the IDE port and the e-sata port on the back.

  10. #9
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    OK

    ICH10R Southbridge:
    - 6 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
    Marvell® 88SE6121 controller:
    - 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33 for up to 2 PATA devices
    - 1 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
    Silicon Image Sil5723:
    - 2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports

    Double check the manual, however I'm pretty sure it's as following
    So the south bridge is the intel controller and controls the 6 blue Sata slots
    The Silicon Image Sil5723 controls the 2 black sata ports
    and the Marvell 88SE6121 controls the IDE port and the e-sata port on the back.
    Yeah something like that, but I used that fix from the website I linked and it worked

    Simple:

    Solution (Vista or Windows 7 ONLY, don't try with XP or earlier, you will BSOD apparently)

    1)Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\msahci

    In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

    Change setting of Start to "0"

    2) Reboot, enter BIOS immediately, switch from IDE to AHCI
    3) Log into Windows, wait for device driver configuration to update/install hardware changes
    4) Wait for restart confirmation to take effect, and click restart
    5) ????
    6) Profit
    Last edited by Robscure; 09-11-2010 at 09:16 PM.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,690
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked
    1,153 times in 1,066 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    Not on XP then because then it would be

    1)Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\msahci

    In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

    Change setting of Start to "0"

    2) Reboot, enter BIOS immediately, switch from IDE to AHCI
    3) BSOD
    4) Swear
    5) Reset BIOS to IDE and pray you don't have to reinstall windows.

  12. #11
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: AHCI or IDE SATA configuration (Bios)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Not on XP then because then it would be

    1)Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\msahci

    In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

    Change setting of Start to "0"

    2) Reboot, enter BIOS immediately, switch from IDE to AHCI
    3)
    BSOD
    Lol

    So Vista has an advantage over XP finally

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. how to change boot order sata -> ide on a asus a7n8x?
    By dgr in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-07-2010, 08:18 PM
  2. F190HD and AHCI and VISTA and SB600
    By Dodgexander in forum abit.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-03-2008, 01:04 PM
  3. Abit NF7-S revision 2 information
    By Lee @ SCAN in forum SCAN.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 30-10-2004, 07:13 PM
  4. Sata V Nvidia IDE
    By shamus21 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •