Thread: Thermaltake Aquarius III

Banned
    Thanks

Thermaltake Aquarius III

Been offered this kit for £70, but told I need to get coolant for it... never have delved into WC before so unsure if it's a good kit or not, or what i'll need to keep it working.

Is there something I can buy from halfords to fill it with instead of waiting for some website to sell me a bottle of overpriced antifreeze and deliver it?

Currently using a 3200+ S754 with stock cooling that i'd like to OC a little more.

Fod
    Registered+
    Thanks
    you just use water, and buy a small bottle of additive from most mod stores (couple quid tops) to keep the water from going funky. there is stuff available that is suppsoed to make a difference, but i doubt their effectiveness. they call it water cooling for a reason

Thanks
    Thermaltake Aquarius III is cheap and crappy... its worth spending extra for decent parts...

Thanks
    If you are expecting to use the "Liquid Cooling" system for any amount of time and in a decent system i would recommend good components and getting the special liquid you have to pay for.

One main reason is that most of this special coolant liquid is non conductive - which means when your drunk and you break a tube and it whizzes all over your mobo - it wont short it out and make you buy new mobo cpu ram etc.

Not that i have done that.

What....I Havent

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMunky
    If you are expecting to use the "Liquid Cooling" system for any amount of time and in a decent system i would recommend good components and getting the special liquid you have to pay for.

One main reason is that most of this special coolant liquid is non conductive - which means when your drunk and you break a tube and it whizzes all over your mobo - it wont short it out and make you buy new mobo cpu ram etc.

Not that i have done that.

What....I Havent

I wouldnt recommend non-conductive liquids. Mostly becuase they are poisonous and will evaporate (faster than water), therfore bad in anything but a 100% sealed system. Most tubing (tygon/clearflex) used in w/c will *slowley* let coolant evaporate through it, so bad idea.

I would rather have a properly assembled system that I KNOW will not leak, rather than buying stupidly expensive chemicals to counter my own stupidity.

Thanks
    As a point - this didnt happent to me.

However, it did happen to a friend - who has been building computers for at least 10 years. Does some of the nicest work ive seen and is so good with the tidyness and air flow of a case its unbeleivable.

Basically a freak accident happened and something shorted out - causing a component that was leaning against a tube (in hindsight he realised he wasnt using the best heat resistant tubing) and caused a tiny leak. This shorted his motherboard ram and cpu (which was recovered). THis wouldnt have happened with the coolant liquid.

Also i am led to beleive - altho i have no actual evidence on this - that the level of toxicity involved in the coolant was very very very small that its inconsequential unless you drink the stuff.

Again - the level of evaporation you are likely to experience is only going to be marginally more with the coolant - its not like your topping up every week.....its gonna be every few months or woteva.

Anyways this isnt trying to start an argument or woteva, those are just my views. With relation to the product specified - i feel if you are buying a complete kit, then use the supplied or recommended liquid - if you dont and something goes wrong i think youwill have trouble complaining about it.

Cheers

Thanks
    Some manufacturers like Eheim only reccomend certain coolant or they void warranties. So it is definately worth using whatever product the manufacturer says to, if it says water is fine then use it, but if it doesn't, wait the extra time and pay the extra money for the correct stuff. It may never go wrong but it's worth if it if you're covered just in case.

Banned
    Thanks
    Alright cheers for the replies, apparently so mixture of 95% distillied/dionized water adn 5% antifreeze is the best thing to use or what?

Slightly Trigger Happy
    Thanks
    many people have different mixes of different solutions and most end up ok. Use what you like but if you don't know follow what the manufacturer recommends.
    your computer is similar to a fridge in that if it cannot keep a beer cold then it sucks

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks
    nice find

Thread Information