Thread: No power???

Thanks

No power???

Hi guys, well just put in all the new motherboard fan and everything and connected all the power up.

I assumed that i'd just have to put the cd etc. But i just get a black screen at the moment. I can only seem to get power to the hard disks, the dvd rw and floppy drive will not come on some im pretty stuck really. I assumed sticking any of the power conectters into whichever thing would work and ive tried swapping them all around, but still nothing when i switch on? Any ideas chaps, before i give up...

It wouldnt have anything to do with another power on the motherboard would it? I can see something called an 'aux power' but i've been searching and it doesnt seem to be needed.

thanks a million if you can help, cos im totally screwed at the moment!

I think i might need an idiots guide to setting up the motherboard. The leds also dont work at all, only the orange hard drive light comes on. My green power light wont come on, even tho ive connected the LED as the book says. There is power to the board itself, as the fan comes on.
    Last edited by themaidenmaniac; 26-11-2005 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    have you tryed looking at the motherboard mannual?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nvening
    have you tryed looking at the motherboard mannual?
    yeh, done everything as it says to my knowledge.

Thanks
    check every power connector 3 times, look over the board with a torch to try and find ant power sockets. Is it a 24 pin atx board, have you got the right power connector?

If you cant find anything try a cmos reset.

what PSU are you using?

Reseat all the power connectors as well.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nvening
    check every power connector 3 times, look over the board with a torch to try and find ant power sockets. Is it a 24 pin atx board, have you got the right power connector?

If you cant find anything try a cmos reset.

what PSU are you using?

Reseat all the power connectors as well.
    It probably doesnt help that im running a 20 pin power supply into a 24 pin board, although guys around here seemed to think it would be ok. Ive got a 16mb pci graphics card in there too. The power supply was a 600w one but that didint work, and i managed to blow it up by changing the voltage, and it blew a fuse. So ive revereted to the old 250w one for the time being to see if i can get the damn thing alive

Thanks for the help so far nvening!

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    Was it plugged in to the motherboard when you had the wrong voltage selected?

Thanks
    Yes it was dave, but i dont think any harm done plus it fused out.

I've managed to get power now, but get this! When i put an IDE cable into the back of my DVD drive, the drive wont work and power seems lost?! So, ive got power to the hard disks, which seem to be connected good with the cables in primary and slave, and power to my dvd, but with no cable in the back. No power seems to work to the floppy. BUT STILL NO OUTPUT TO THE MONITOR? All i does is flashes the green light on and off at me. Its driving me insane now lol. Im beginning to want to blame the graphics card i put in there which has been redundant for about 6 months- its a pci riva tnt.

Keep it coming guys

By the way, what should the computer normally do when you put a new mother board in? At least get to the bios or something? Im starting to think im gonna have to get used to the black screen
    Last edited by themaidenmaniac; 26-11-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    guys,

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Poswering up a new motherboard should normally fire up the power on self test (POST) and probably take you straight to the BIOS set up. Using the wrong connecters on the board won't have helped, connecting it with the wrong voltage certainly won't (no fuse faster than a semiconductor) so I would say that its odds on that you have toasted the mobo, CPU, probably the memory, and possibly any cards that were plugged in at the time. Only certain way to check is a known good PSU, and connect it to the mobo with minimal configuration. If it has built in graphics, use that. Connect it without any hard drive, or auxiliaries, minimum known good memory. Then see if it powers up and gives you some display. If it does then you MAY be OK, and you can shut down, connect disk drives etc and see if it works then. You need to be methodical, and check each component stage by stage, only add one addition at a time and test it before moving on.

You could try testing the peripheral bits in a known good system (but accept the risk that if they are damaged, they might damage the good system.)

Sorry to be a pessimist, but.... the signs aren't good.
    Last edited by peterb; 26-11-2005 at 11:52 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    mm, what mobo is it?
    The 24-pin suggests it's a pretty new design which means that a cheap 250W may not be enough for the platform.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    Thanks Pete & Buff. Im thinking that it is power or graphics. I still dont think that the mobo is toasted as before the power blew up, the power supply was switched on all good and with its weird lights on, only it still wasnt working. However, i didnt plug in the aux power.
    So,
    Is the Aux Power a necessity? I guess it could be? I've heard it powers the graphics cards which are all pci sockets, which could be a reason why im not getting any picture- or should the bios at least display anyway with no graphics card? Or is it more likely that i wil need to connect the new mobo with a 24 pin PSU?

Thanks again,

Kev

Thanks

This may help..

I had same problem on PC I am now sitting at (self-build).

Checked everthing ten times over and all seemed fine but was not working at all.

Then... a little voice in my head said...'push that piece of RAM down nice and firmly, with even pressure'. So I put index fingers at each end and thumbs along spine and pushed and then pushed again it clicked in.

The problem appeared to be that although the two clips had moved into place on the end of the RAM stick, it had not quite got there in coonecting. When I checked for the reason why I noticed that a retaining screw on the MOBO was just by the DIMM and so I believe pulling the board too tight, leaving that extra (tiny) little space that had messed with my mind and sanity for a whole day.

Has never failed me since. This may not solve your problem, but worth a shot. However it could be a stick of dead/faulty RAM in slot 1 or slot 1 DIMM is screwed, causing the BIOS to try to POST and then giving up..

BTW I got no beeps or anything with mine - cleared CMOS and everything b4 discovering the above.

Hope it lights up 4 ya soon.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    Sounds like a PSU problem to me. Apart from 20 pin into 24 being iffy, a no name 250W couldn't power up a fart. Get a decent PSU and then try again.

P.S. The fact that you are getting some signs of life doesn't mean you haven't toasted something.

P.P.S. You don't get any picture unless you have a graphics card and the monitor plugged into it! It might also help to say what the mobo is.

Thanks
    Ok guys, thanks for the help! Ive got power and a picture now, but cant get it to bboot windows for love nor money. New thread time i think!

Thread Information