Thread: PIII motherboard kaput?

Thanks

PIII motherboard kaput?

Had a PII/III motherboard on which the floppy controller dies. So I replaced it with another PII/III. Now after about 3 months that board won't start up. Theres power going to the board, as theres an LED lighting up but nothing spins up, like HD etc. If I stick back in the old board, everything spins up ok. So its a motherboard problem. The board thats not starting is an Intel 815. Not sure of the model as I can't find any ID on the board itself. I can't find a CMOS clearing jumper or anything. Is it time to just dump it in the bin and look for another board?

Banned
    Thanks
    Looks like the bin is the best option. It is strange that the HD doesn't seem to spin up as that should be to do with the PSU supplying power rather than anything to do witht he mobo. If the 'new' mobo has been working fine for 3 months then it would imply that the mobo itself (or perhaps something specific to it like RAM?) is the problem. If the only downside to the old mobo was the onboard floppy controller dying you could look for a PCI controller card, it would probably come with IDE too. I'd perhaps advise the owner of the PII/II to ditch/sell it and get either a new entry level PC or a more modern 2nd hand PC.

Thanks
    Yeah well the chepest upgrade is a socket A board and cpu (HSF) and thats going to be 40/50. A 2nd hand PII/III board should be 20 ish. So far I haven't been able to source a floppy controller card for less than 40/50 which seems like poor value. USB floppy drives are also in the 40/50 area. I have to persuade the owner (my sis) to break open the piggy bank and buy a proper board/cpu. I'm fed up fixing this piece of junk to be honest.

Thanks
    • wilsonian's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X570 TUF
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen R7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung1TB 970 EVO M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX570 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
    i have a spare jetway J7BXAN that was working fine for over 2 years. BX 440 chipset. nothing fancy.

you can have it off me for a tenner + p&p

Thanks
    Just revived another one I had here. Thanks anyway.

Thread Information