Thread: Opteron 165 Temperature

Thanks

Opteron 165 Temperature

Hello, I was wondering if those of you running an Opteron 165 at stock can share your temperature readings.

Mine seem to idle around 34C (browsing the web probably counts as idling), and goes up to 43C when dual priming. Sounds pretty healthy to me, but is it high considering it is only running at 1.8Ghz now?

Thanks
    Alright... How about overclocked temperature? Is it best to keep it under 50C?

And what is a safe voltage?

Core 0 on my Opteron doesn't seem to clock well... Increasing the voltage helps, but it's quite worrying: the stock HS can't handle the heat, and though the core remains stable, I saw the temperature hit 59C before I quickly stopped the priming and lowered the vcore voltage.. which means that I need to aim for a lower clockspeed..

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    how is the airflow in the case? using a thermalright si-120, mine idled at 28 and hit around 42 stock, but as soon as i fed it any volts, the temps rocketed. is your stock heatsink the heatpipe one? i got one of those with mine and never used it but some people have raved about them.

there is no safe voltage other than stock. anything over that is a risk, however small.

mine also fails on core 0 first, but ive managed to push it to 2600mhz using 1.53v but i am on water now. when i was using air at that voltage, it would idle at 38 and hit late 50's under load.

also try reseating the heatsink and use some good quality TIM.

edit: also keep an eye on the PWMIC temps as they dont half shoot up with these dual cores!

Thanks
    Got a 170 running at 2.5MHz with an Arctic freezer 64 pro and idles 38 and stresses to about 48 on stock volts.

I can add some volts but it does get toasty rather quickly and as sais the PWMIC temp rocket.

I can actually get windows/prime stable to 2.7 but BF2 does not like it for some reason?

Going to put it under water soon
    Anyone seen my opteron?

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    BF2 is damn piccy about overclocks, its very sensitive to the RAM voltage for some reason, I found increasing that solved a lot of problems.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    Thanks, I guess my temperature is pretty normal then. I'll try to reapply the TIM though, I did think that I over applied the AS5. Do you guys follow the AS guide step by step? i.e. Do you just put a little at the center and mount the HS right on top (without spreading)?
    I am using the stock heatpipe heatsink. I could be tempted by the Ninja at some point but it doesn't seem like my temperature is too far out of the ordinary.

At 1.45V, Core-0 still fails Prime after an hour or so at 2.6Ghz (hits about 47-48C on its down, 50-51 with both core priming). Shame, I wanted a virtual FX60
    Last edited by TooNice; 18-03-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    TooNice,

mine will do just over 2.4 at stock volts but needs 1.53v to hit 2.6

have you got the ram on the lowest divider while you are finding out what the opty will do?

Thanks
    Yea. Lowest divider. I think mine is probably like yours. 1.5v seem to get it prime stable (I think - didn't try long enough) at 2.6Ghz, but I hear that over 1.45v is not very safe for dual core.

I am testing my RAM now..

Thanks
    Interesting. At stock volt, 2.52Ghz seems to work fine. So I guess that somewhere between 2.52 and 2.6Ghz, core 0 will spazzed out. Either that, or the extra voltage I tried pushed the temperature too high.

(Stock cooling, stock volt @ 2.52Ghz = 50C under load - I might have to leave with it... which isn't really so bad)

Thanks
    ive got my 165 running at 2.8 with 1.575v on watercooling core 0 on mines is crap ive had the chip at 3.0 ghz and no matter what core 0 craps out first however i might mess about with it when ive got time again and since some of the apps that i mainly use the cpu at full tilt are still only single threaded i might set winrars affinity to core1 and sit that at whatever the max clock is it will prime and let the other core deal with the less demanding general running of the computer

does that sound daft or could it be a good idea ?

Thanks
    My 170 does 2.7 stock on al stress tests but craps it on BF2 but tht was 1:1 with my 2GB Ballistix @ 3,3,3,7 2.6v so I'll try uppin it to the 2.8v crucial reccommend.

Either way I'm not complaining
    Anyone seen my opteron?

Thanks
    i just have my ram at stock at the mo the performance is great everyone says that you dont need to do 1:1 like you did with the old athlons so your better finding the absolute max of the cpu then bringing the ram upto whatever it will do

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weebroonieuk
    ive got my 165 running at 2.8 with 1.575v on watercooling core 0 on mines is crap ive had the chip at 3.0 ghz and no matter what core 0 craps out first however i might mess about with it when ive got time again and since some of the apps that i mainly use the cpu at full tilt are still only single threaded i might set winrars affinity to core1 and sit that at whatever the max clock is it will prime and let the other core deal with the less demanding general running of the computer

does that sound daft or could it be a good idea ?
    I like the idea but.. I don't know if I can trust a less stable chip to run the computer.. What if it decides to get unstable when you are writing something to disk?

At the end of the day, I'd love to say that I paid £210 for a virtual FX60. Or better yet, an "FX62". But I'd be happy even if I have to settle with 50-100Mhz less.

Thanks
    well it will chug along at 2.8 no bother

but what i mean is ive had it priming for hours and not noticed the first core crapped out while the second one was still going strong

so it may not be 24 hour prime stable on the first core but if i set the second core only for winrar that means the general running of windows will be run by the first core where cpu load never really goes above a few percent

and with only 1 core only working at full load it wont be chucking out anywhere near its maximum heat output

i think it may work ....infact im gonna start priming the second core right now while just watching the tv with mce

Thanks
    You will need to also make sure you are using the same motherboard and bios rev... otherwise these temps are all fairly irrelevant.

Thread Information