Thread: Zalman CNPS9500 or Thermaltake Big Typhoon?

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Zalman CNPS9500 or Thermaltake Big Typhoon?

I want to know if I'd see a noticable difference between the two. I can get the Big Typhoon for $49.99 shipped free, and I can get the CNPS9500 for $63.99 with $5.99 shipping -- $53.99 if I decide to buy the NZXT Lexa. I'm looking foward to see what everybody thinks. Thanks for the help .

Registered+
    Thanks
    You havn't stated whether you care about the noise issue or not but if you do care then I can recommend the CNPS9500. Read the following review to have an idea of what this heatsink is capable of in terms of performance and noise.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article267-page1.html

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    depends, Big T.. well like the name implies.. it is big.. bigger than the CNPS9500.. but u also have the liberty to change fans.. and add more fans.. the ultimate performance and noise level will be dependent on the fan u use..

CNPS9500 will save u the trouble choosing the fan.. and u get a fanmate to regulate it based on ur liking.. even on full blast its still relatively quiet compared to other coolers.. and like most reviews.. it is very good.. one of the best there are available in terms of air coolers..

Other better alternatives are probably the Scyth Ninja.. BigT equivalent, but far less toyish.. lighter and easier to install..
    Me want Ultrabook

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have the Scyth Ninja and it would be an excellent alternative to both the Zalman CNPS9500 and the Typhoon imho.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Alright, if I were to get the Typhoon or Scythe, then which fan/fans should I buy for it. From what I see, Thermaltake seems to make the best single fans. Plus, where's a good place to pick up the Scythe, and how much does it usually run for?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrym
    Alright, if I were to get the Typhoon or Scythe, then which fan/fans should I buy for it. From what I see, Thermaltake seems to make the best single fans. Plus, where's a good place to pick up the Scythe, and how much does it usually run for?
    If you go for the Scythe Ninja Plus, it comes with a 120mm fan.

As for which fan to buy yourself - are you after minimum noise, or maximum performance?

Thanks
    From what I gathered, since the Ninja was designed from ground up to be passive (the non "plus" version didn't come with a fan but is supposed to be otherwise identical to the "plus" version), it doesn't benefit that much from more faster fans. So something like the Nexus is supposed to be adequate (although I bought Yate Loons because they are much cheaper and doesn't have that much more RPM).

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice
    From what I gathered, since the Ninja was designed from ground up to be passive (the non "plus" version didn't come with a fan but is supposed to be otherwise identical to the "plus" version), it doesn't benefit that much from more faster fans. So something like the Nexus is supposed to be adequate (although I bought Yate Loons because they are much cheaper and doesn't have that much more RPM).

I've read some benchmarks and it seems that the Scythe Ninja does infact benefit from a good replacement fan. Generally the difference is in between 3.5-5.5 degrees. Though, modest in some eyes, other people will might consider it being worth it.

Thanks
    I heard the Big Typhoon is extremely quiet, and a great cooler. In fact, people on NewEgg have said that the heatpipes are so efficient, that it will stay at sub 40 WITHOUT a fan. And with any kind of breeze at all, it will stay below 35 at least.

I have the Big T's little brother for AMDs, the Artic Freezer. It's extremely effective and very cold. It stays under 35 degrees at LOAD! And I have a small case with little ventalation and it's in my stuffy closet surrounded by clothes (closet door open while running though)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrym
    I've read some benchmarks and it seems that the Scythe Ninja does infact benefit from a good replacement fan. Generally the difference is in between 3.5-5.5 degrees. Though, modest in some eyes, other people will might consider it being worth it.
    I agree that the Ninja is good, but I think it makes more sense to use a good low RPM silencer fan (e.g. the Nexus/Yate Loon), than a high speed fan (e.g. Delta). There -are- better HS than the Ninja when you use faster (noisier) fans. The Tuniq Tower for one, and even the new Scythe Mine in one review: the later (according to one reivew) is not capable of running passively, and perform less well than Ninja using very low RPM. However, it takes over the Ninja once at higher fan speed.

Thread Information