• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2719DGF
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

Re: Battlefield 4 discussion and Hardware requirements speculation

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    ......You're misunderstanding. What we have currently is [CPU + GPU] + DDR3. What we are getting is [CPU + GPU] + GDDR5 (in the best case - PS4). That's not going to give a huge step in CPU performance at all.
    I was actually giving the example of a CPU with a standalone graphics card with its own memory. In your example though I'm guessing [CPU + GPU] + DDR3 to mean the existing APU's we have now. In that example even with one set of DDR3 shared between Processor + Graphics functions in the APU its *not unified*. The OS + software sees the DDR3 split into 2 different pools of memory. So even if physically graphics data is in the memory chips. It still has to be copied from the Processor pool of memory to the graphics pool. Introducing all kinds of extra load.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    ......http://www.anandtech.com/show/6976/a...-kabini-temash

System memory isn't being taken out of the loop at all - see the above architecture design, it's slightly better integrated between CPU and GPU and on the whole just faster (in PS4s case). But you can't just stick faster memory on a laptop chip and suddenly expect it to perform miracles.
    Reading that article it in no way demonstrates the potential benefits of unifying the memory pool. As the following Anand quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Anand
    The major change between AMD’s Temash/Kabini Jaguar implementations as what’s done in the consoles is really all of the unified memory addressing work and any coherency that’s supported on the platforms.
    No one can really quantify how much slower games are running by this constant shifting of graphics data around the system. Its got to be slowing the system down as a whole.

ZaO

This is getting interesting! I'm gonna have to come back to this, this evening and have a proper read through and check the links that have been posted!

Btw I'm not sure I agree about bf3's optimisation being all that amazing.. I originally ran it on CF'd 1GB 4870's, 8GB of DDR3 and a mildly OC'd 955. @1080p it struggled pretty hard on low settings with a lot of mp levels. Especially when there was more than 32 players. But as I say - It does my head in to play at anything lower than 55fps in most games.

Anyway, I will come back to this thread later this evening for a proper read

Registered+
    Thanks

Bit of a jump with those GPUs.

ZaO

When you compare what the current consoles can do with their hardware in comparison to what a pc could do with the same hardware. It's extremely impressive. I think that as already said, that's down to the fact that there is a slim OS designed around the exact setup, and that people are programming for that exact setup. The level of optimisation is far beyond anything we see on pc's. I can't be too sure about this new hardware setup they have. When you see games like Uncharted on the ps3, well I don't think any of us saw that coming with those hardware specs. I mean, those games play at a decent frame rate as well! Bf3 on pc is absolutely miles away from the console versions too. Maybe their wont be such a huge difference this time. I guess we will find out fairly soon! I'm still not confident that my computer will run bf4 as well as bf3 though..

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    I'm still not confident that my computer will run bf4 as well as bf3 though..
    I clocked up a number of hours in the BF4 alpha and for the most part it ran faster than BF3. Now, there is the caveat that the alpha was missing a number of textures which would have an impact of performance but ultimately, the graphics engine is the same.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I clocked up a number of hours in the BF4 alpha and for the most part it ran faster than BF3. Now, there is the caveat that the alpha was missing a number of textures which would have an impact of performance but ultimately, the graphics engine is the same.
    Yeh I remember the bf3 beta ran better for a lot of people, apparently. I remember reading about how it only had High settings enabled. And that raising them to Ultra didn't actually change anything. That might've been the main reason for it. But I'm glad to hear your input. Because I was watching some bf4 alpha footage yesterday and the textures looked crap like bf3. So hopefully they'll be better in the finished game! Does the vegetation still look like crap in your opinion? I can't stand looking at those horrible trees in bf3 lol >_<

Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Alpha only had the Shanghai map, which doesn't really have any vegetation on it
    Last edited by shaithis; 27-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

ZaO

Alpha only had the Shanghai map, which doesn't really have any vegetation on it
    Ah right. I was watching some Alpha footage yesterday that had a level which looked similar to the classic "Wake Island". I think it was called "Paracel Storm". The video was in 1080p but looked a bit compressed, so the quality wasn't quite there. Looked through my youtube history and it seems the video has been deleted. I'm sure there are others though. How did you get into the alpha test btw? I was a little annoyed that I wasn't invited haha.

Thanks
    • Firejack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PRIME X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • TG Dark Pro "8pack Edition"
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 250GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB Pulse
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2719DGF
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

Learned some new things today that possibly (probably) invalidates everything I said from post #13 onwards in this thread about Unified memory and these Console APU's being the first "true APU's".

Before I go on. hUMA = Unified memory technology.

From the top:

January 2013 - AMD announced Jaguar architecture "Kabini" APU's (these have no hUMA support)

April 2013 - Microsoft + Sony announced they are both going to be using modified "Kabini" APU's that support hUMA

Fast forward to today... I was reading the Gamescom coverage (from last week) and read - "AMD says PS4 has performance advantage over XBone because it support hUMA." No hUMA for XBone then...

This afternoon I was linked this article: http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...bini-based-SoC - so no hUMA for PS4 either. ARGH!

Although as the author points out. AMD may of fallen into hot water with Microsoft over suggesting the PS4 is better and in an attempt at covering their own backside, they are resorting to contradicting themselves.

Either way we know at least one console, the XBone, will not have hUMA support. In my mind that massively reduces the potential of the XBone. Meaning in terms of BF4, I can see even less of a performance push by DICE to break new ground. Knock on of that is BF4 will have to be better optimize and run better then BF3. A theory that is supported by shaithis's Alpha experience.

Guess we'll have to wait for "Kaveri" APU's to appear on the PC before we finally get to see a "true APU" in action.

Well I'm off to take up a simpler hobby now. Think I'll try Marbles. Although I already feel like I've lost a few during the course of this thread.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
    Learned some new things today that possibly (probably) invalidates everything I said from post #13 onwards in this thread about Unified memory and these Console APU's being the first "true APU's".

Before I go on. hUMA = Unified memory technology.

From the top:

January 2013 - AMD announced Jaguar architecture "Kabini" APU's (these have no hUMA support)

April 2013 - Microsoft + Sony announced they are both going to be using modified "Kabini" APU's that support hUMA

Fast forward to today... I was reading the Gamescom coverage (from last week) and read - "AMD says PS4 has performance advantage over XBone because it support hUMA." No hUMA for XBone then...

This afternoon I was linked this article: http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...bini-based-SoC - so no hUMA for PS4 either. ARGH!

Although as the author points out. AMD may of fallen into hot water with Microsoft over suggesting the PS4 is better and in an attempt at covering their own backside, they are resorting to contradicting themselves.

Either way we know at least one console, the XBone, will not have hUMA support. In my mind that massively reduces the potential of the XBone. Meaning in terms of BF4, I can see even less of a performance push by DICE to break new ground. Knock on of that is BF4 will have to be better optimize and run better then BF3. A theory that is supported by shaithis's Alpha experience.

Guess we'll have to wait for "Kaveri" APU's to appear on the PC before we finally get to see a "true APU" in action.

Well I'm off to take up a simpler hobby now. Think I'll try Marbles. Although I already feel like I've lost a few during the course of this thread.
    Well based on that article you linked, it still seems unclear. I don't know how much of a difference "hUMA" would make in a real world scenario. But I know that I wont judge what these new consoles can do until I see and play some games on them. As I say, I was shocked at what they managed to squeeze out of the 360 and ps3! How good you feel the consoles are depends on how quick pc gaming moves as well. It was only when the first Crysis came out that I thought "Damn! Consoles are falling behind!". But then when you see some of the later games on the consoles compared to Crysis (and even some newer games on pc), it seemed like the gap closed a little. It's only when Directx 11 games really started getting good that I thought there was generally a huge gap again. That's just my opinion though..

Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    How did you get into the alpha test btw? I was a little annoyed that I wasn't invited haha.
    The email read that because I had previous BF experience (BFBC2 on my Origin account), had signed up to receive all email notifications and had played a certain amount of BF3, I got in (although there was probably a luck element added on top!)

ZaO

The email read that because I had previous BF experience (BFBC2 on my Origin account), had signed up to receive all email notifications and had played a certain amount of BF3, I got in (although there was probably a luck element added on top!)
    I see. So it's the way I opt out of unwanted marketing emails all the time that prevents me from getting into these things lol >_< I wonder if the same thing is spoiling my chances of winning Hexus competitions..

Registered+
    Thanks

Do you guys think that my 4670k will be fine for BF4 if I get a good gpu or should I have gotten an 8 core AMD cpu?

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Pretty sure you're going to need an 8 core ardechey, ideally overclocked to 5.2Ghz with a couple of Geforce Titan's in SLI, maxed that should get you 60fps...

/sarcasm

Registered+
    Thanks

I better get saving then, but BF5 will be out by the time I've got enough.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

I've heard BF5 needs a quantum computer with 1000 qubits.

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 123451222324252 ... LastLast

Thread Information