• MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Re: * Star Citizen *

I've refrained from commenting on this thread as I'm a bit too close to get a proper perspective, but I think it's trying to be too many things to too many people. I suspect there will be a lot of unhappy space pilots when it finally releases. I really can't see how people who have pumped $1000s into this can see it as any sort of value for money.

Thanks

Stop selling it to me, ZaO, before you convince me!
    Single player is more my bag. Can you set up private servers do you know, so you just have yourself and a bunch of mates in it? Wait no... don't answer. I'll just end up buying it. >.<

And I guess, Butcher, that value for money really depends on how much you money you have. If you're stonking rich $1000 isn't really a lot to invest in something, even if it is something silly. If you're me or most of us you only have so many $s to spend, and dropping 1000 of them on something that doesn't exist (outside of on a server somewhere anyway) is just ridiculous.

Course, if the game does try to overstretch itself people will be disappointed regardless... Makes me think of Spore. ><

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

I am keeping my eye on this as out gaming clan BNS have just setup our server to play Freelancer on again. Seeming the Administrator on our site says that Chris Roberts had a lot to do with the development of Freelancer and this would be a good way to prepare us for Star Citizen.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks
    • MrNeil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z490 VISION G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 10700KF
      • Memory:
      • 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • x2 Kingston 240GB HyperX SSDWD + 480gig evo 500GB Caviar Blue Hard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2,
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2770PF 144Hz and a HP 27hq
      • Internet:
      • TalkyTalk 76mb

Freelancer still going on the server's? Great i might just install again

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

We just set ours backup again. Looks like there are still loads on the go. Many might be custom servers. Ours had been modded and allows for higher resolution graphics and looks pretty slick for an old game.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks
    • MrNeil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z490 VISION G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 10700KF
      • Memory:
      • 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • x2 Kingston 240GB HyperX SSDWD + 480gig evo 500GB Caviar Blue Hard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2,
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2770PF 144Hz and a HP 27hq
      • Internet:
      • TalkyTalk 76mb

used to play the DS9 mod and i think something called monkey universe !

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I've refrained from commenting on this thread as I'm a bit too close to get a proper perspective, but I think it's trying to be too many things to too many people. I suspect there will be a lot of unhappy space pilots when it finally releases. I really can't see how people who have pumped $1000s into this can see it as any sort of value for money.
    Yeh there are some people that have dropped some serious money on this game! I can't risk more than about 30 quid on a game that isn't out yet. I mean, I don't often back games this early in their development. But who cares really.. Those guys are helping the funding and we all benefit

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenfurter View Post
    Stop selling it to me, ZaO, before you convince me!
    Single player is more my bag. Can you set up private servers do you know, so you just have yourself and a bunch of mates in it? Wait no... don't answer. I'll just end up buying it. >.<

And I guess, Butcher, that value for money really depends on how much you money you have. If you're stonking rich $1000 isn't really a lot to invest in something, even if it is something silly. If you're me or most of us you only have so many $s to spend, and dropping 1000 of them on something that doesn't exist (outside of on a server somewhere anyway) is just ridiculous.

Course, if the game does try to overstretch itself people will be disappointed regardless... Makes me think of Spore. ><
    Yes you can run private servers with mods! So you could play the game with a completely friends only scenario if you like

There's always going to be critics about everything in existence ever. This game probably won't please everyone that's backed it. So I guess I would recommend to those who are unsure, to wait for the dog fighting module next month. And watch some gameplay videos on youtube or wherever. Then you can wait even longer for some of the other modules to decide if it looks good. But I'm seeing roughly 400 alpha slots go every week. With around 6200 left, you might only have until the dog fighting module to decide. I don't mean to try and sell this game to anyone But I'm just giving my honest opinion on it from what I know so far. Worst case scenario - you just wait until the full game is out next year and it gets reviewed. That's not exactly a bad scenario either

Thanks

Yes, well it will watch it very closely. Now.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy75 View Post
    Oh yes.

I'll almost certainly buy Star Citizen but, as someone who grew up playing with Spectrums and C64's in the early 80's, Elite: Dangerous is the one I'm really waiting for. I'm happy for SC to have all the limelight while E quietly develops into an equally (if not more) impressive looking game.
    That's reassuring I thought I was in the odd-ball minority here!

ZaO

Not sure if this has been brought up already. But have you guys heard of "No man's Sky"? This is a link to the site: http://nomansky.com/index.html But it seems like nothing is happening with it right now. Though if you search on youtube you will find some awesome videos of it. I will just leave it at that and let you discover it all yourself

Also there is "Limit Theory":http://ltheory.com/index.html# I'm not sure how well this one will turn out. But it's another to keep your eye on if you like this sort of thing

I too was looking forward to Elite Dangerous by the way. But it's like £200 for an Alpha slot isn't it!?

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Not sure if this has been brought up already. But have you guys heard of "No man's Sky"?

I too was looking forward to Elite Dangerous by the way. But it's like £200 for an Alpha slot isn't it!?
    Yea, I only backed £20 for the Elite game when it emerges probably next year and as you say £200 for alpha access is a bit steep! I could buy an FX6300 plus an R9 270 for that lol.

I heard about No Man Sky last summer that really does look very good. I heard that it's coming in 2015. Looks like an infinite, sci-fi version of Proteus from the trailer!

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by The Hand View Post
    Yea, I only backed £20 for the Elite game when it emerges probably next year and as you say £200 for alpha access is a bit steep! I could buy an FX6300 plus an R9 270 for that lol.

I heard about No Man Sky last summer that really does look very good. I heard that it's coming in 2015. Looks like an infinite, sci-fi version of Proteus from the trailer!
    yeh i think they're being a bit cheeky with the 200 pound thing. i would've thought they'd get more money over all if they made it a bit cheaper. strange move on their part. maybe they're just near capacity for alpha testing now. so it's just the last lot of slots that are so expensive..

i'm scared for the future of gaming. i might have to give it up sometime before the games start getting too amazing and immersive!

Splash

£200 was always the alpha going rate from the Kickstarter. I'm in at premium beta (1 more round of alpha to go, then it's premium beta), but I backed at that level because it's what I could afford, but I'm *really* looking forward to this *especially* after watching a load of the alpha videos.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    yeh i think they're being a bit cheeky with the 200 pound thing. i would've thought they'd get more money over all if they made it a bit cheaper. strange move on their part. maybe they're just near capacity for alpha testing now. so it's just the last lot of slots that are so expensive..
    It's quite deliberate, and not with the intention of making the most money (as you rightly note, if they wanted to make more money they'd do it differently). It's alpha, which means small scale, focused, feedback is of more use than being overwhelmed with numbers. There are later tests for that, but this stage is more about development then bug hunting.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I've really lost interest in the development of Star Citizen.
    I am subbed and have a couple of ships, which is about my limit right now given how expensive these things are for just a hanger module.

I did follow on the forums a bit, but the general chat is utter bedlam and the Subs forum is a mess of high-talking geeky types nitpicking and debating the tiniest of things... which is great for the game and great for the devs - But I'm only interested in playing the game and knowing which button does which maneuvre, not arguing whether it is realistic or not "according to the United States Air Force Combat Fighter Advanced Atmospheric Dogfighting Manual V3.256.65 Mar 2014, Section A, Paragraph 12, sub-section A) iii", which doesn't even apply to space flight anyway!!

Wingman's Hanger got a bit dull, because while most of the detail is interesting, there's not much I can relate to the finished product.
    Same for 10 From The Chairman - It's great that Chris is taking time out to answer the fans' burning questions, such as whether the stitching on our flightsuits will be green or blue... but again, not something that interesting to me.

More than anything else, I'm waiting for final confirmation on exactly what upgrades I'll need to make to my rig in order to play the flippin' thing!
    So now I just check in every now and then, see if there's any nice merchandise, etc.

For all these reasons, I'm also staying WELL clear of Elite: Dangerous until it is released, whereupon I shall just buy it and play the **** out of it!!

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    £200 was always the alpha going rate from the Kickstarter. I'm in at premium beta (1 more round of alpha to go, then it's premium beta), but I backed at that level because it's what I could afford, but I'm *really* looking forward to this *especially* after watching a load of the alpha videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    It's quite deliberate, and not with the intention of making the most money (as you rightly note, if they wanted to make more money they'd do it differently). It's alpha, which means small scale, focused, feedback is of more use than being overwhelmed with numbers. There are later tests for that, but this stage is more about development then bug hunting.
    i see. well that makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I've really lost interest in the development of Star Citizen.
    I am subbed and have a couple of ships, which is about my limit right now given how expensive these things are for just a hanger module.

I did follow on the forums a bit, but the general chat is utter bedlam and the Subs forum is a mess of high-talking geeky types nitpicking and debating the tiniest of things... which is great for the game and great for the devs - But I'm only interested in playing the game and knowing which button does which maneuvre, not arguing whether it is realistic or not "according to the United States Air Force Combat Fighter Advanced Atmospheric Dogfighting Manual V3.256.65 Mar 2014, Section A, Paragraph 12, sub-section A) iii", which doesn't even apply to space flight anyway!!

Wingman's Hanger got a bit dull, because while most of the detail is interesting, there's not much I can relate to the finished product.
    Same for 10 From The Chairman - It's great that Chris is taking time out to answer the fans' burning questions, such as whether the stitching on our flightsuits will be green or blue... but again, not something that interesting to me.

More than anything else, I'm waiting for final confirmation on exactly what upgrades I'll need to make to my rig in order to play the flippin' thing!
    So now I just check in every now and then, see if there's any nice merchandise, etc.

For all these reasons, I'm also staying WELL clear of Elite: Dangerous until it is released, whereupon I shall just buy it and play the **** out of it!!
    yeh i'm feeling that haha. and i only even found out about star citizen back in january, and backed in february. the hangar was fun for 5 minutes while i figured out fun ways to glitch outside of it and float around outside. but it does all start to lose its charm a bit after a while. but this is what i expect from backing a game so early in its development. i knew this would happen. so i just watch wingmans hangar and 10 for the chairman, hoping for more info on the dog fighting module. i think it'll freshen up again once we actually get to fly our ships and shoot eachother next month just be prepared for another year minimum until this game comes out. the modules seem to be behind schedule already. but it's better they stay realistic and take their time with this. we'll all be grateful if we all get that quality game we've been hoping for in the end

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread Information