Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What have you been playing and why?

Thanks
    • Revvvhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • OCZ SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000 with braided red cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 450D & H100i
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XT2420L
      • Internet:
      • 152Mb/s

Re: What have you been playing and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Revvvhead View Post
    BF4 occupies a lot of my gaming time, as it is just awesome, as was BF3 and BC2 before it.
    Also playing Assassins Creed 2 as I didn't play it when it first came out, but people rave about it. Just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
    All the Batman games are great.
    Watchdogs bored me withing a few hours.
    Just got Shadows of Mordor, also excellent.

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm really into my racing games so i'm forced if you like to have an Xbox, for Forza. PC just doesnt have the soul and passion (got all Italian there).

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

A month ago I was playing the latest Wolfenstein - it's actually pretty good, then I switched to Crysis3 for a bit. Unfortunately I got very stuck in that and other things came up so I kind of lost the thread.

More recently I switched on Assassin's Creed: Black Flag that I got for Christmas. I was really enjoying that but this week (just as I started doing the whole Captain Blood style ship takedowns) it's started misbehaving badly - with pretty severe crashes after about 10-15 minutes gameplay. It was working brilliantly before that though.

For the rest it's been Just Cause 2 (because although I finished it literally years ago, it's a good blast - especially when the frustration over Black Flag gets to me). And then there's a bit of casual gaming PvZ2 and Tower Defence 2, both on tablet, along with the latest Bejeweled (on PC thanks to an EA "free game" deal recently).

Annoying thing though is that my XBox has meanwhile lain dormant, gathering dust. I really must get back to that game of Bulletstorm I was playing sometime.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

D-T
    Thanks
    • D-T's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z370 ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair 3GHz DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | Samsung 840 Pro | Sandisk Extreme Pro II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 11GB GTX 1080 Ti (ASUS STRIX | MSI Gaming X)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 80+ Ti
      • Case:
      • Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS PG348Q, 21:9 1440p @ 90Hz // Panasonic 55" CX700B, 16:9 2160p @ 60Hz
      • Internet:
      • "100Mbps"

I suppose it was always inevitable... Ended up losing another few hours tweaking Skyrim last night now that I've got a bit more VRAM to play with, having swapped out my 1.5GB GTX 580 for a 4GB 970.

If nothing else it's made it perfectly clear that any stability issues were more likely my fault than the game's; after loading up and being able to play for more than 2 minutes without the game crashing, I decided that was just cause to close it down, install another 10 odd 2K+ texture mods and (for the first time) an ENB.

Started off with RealVision, which was great in the daytime but I couldn't get the nights looking how I wanted them - too much contrast & saturation. I've switched over to Bleak Realism now, with a few tweaks to slightly boost the ambient light intensity at night and the night-time point lighting curve to make torches and lanterns feel slightly warmer. I was getting 30-60 FPS at 1080p with a highly questionable amount of high-res' texture mods, which was still comfortably playable until I got to Whiterun - probably the most heavily modded area in my game - and CTD'd. Even then, only when I decided it was a good idea to carry out an impromptu (highly unsophisticated) stress test by throwing the camera all over the place. I got as far as swapping out some of the "FULL" Skyrim 2K texture mods (<=4K res) for the "LITE" (<=2K) and adding a 100MHz OC to my GPU core and 150MHz to the VRAM to try and boost my frame rate a little bit more - which the card managed with stock voltages and at 71C full-load on air; hat-off to NVIDIA & ASUS - but I didn't get chance to do any more "stress testing".

I was happy with the way the game was looking though and it was nice to play with any kind of stability after I'd pushed things far past breaking point on my old 580. Might make it past meeting the Grey Beards on this playthrough if I'm lucky, instead of getting sucked into side-quests and breaking the game all over again.

Thanks
    • starkyller's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5G41T-M LX
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E4600
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB
      • Storage:
      • Seagate SHDD1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 630 2gb ddr3
      • PSU:
      • 500w
      • Operating System:
      • W7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG D2342

Borderlands The Pre-Sequel because I played the Borderlands 2 and enjoyed it a lot. Just like I'm enjoying the pre-sequel.

People don't choose claptrap it's so bad

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

In order of time played recently:

Defense Grid: The Awakening - it's a tower defense game and it's addictive, easy to learn, hard to score well on and tests me big time
    Tropico 3 - it's a sim management and it's funny, clever, and addictive also. I like the comedy and the variety of stuff to control
    CoD W@W - play online, on acrouch only, tatical server and it's the best FPS ever made for old men like me
    Alan Wake - I am stuck.. I've been stuck for a year on the same part.. I cant make it from the safe area I'm in up to Lovers Peak . It scares the crap outta me.. the same part.. which I have played HUNDREDS of times and failed on every one... still gives me really bad goosebumps

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    In order of time played recently:
    Alan Wake - I am stuck.. I've been stuck for a year on the same part.. I cant make it from the safe area I'm in up to Lovers Peak . It scares the crap outta me.. the same part.. which I have played HUNDREDS of times and failed on every one... still gives me really bad goosebumps
    That's reassuring! I got to pick three free games from AMD for buying an R9 280X and was tempted by Alan Wake - it's just that I didn't fancy the idea of two being 'psychological thrillers' as I'd picked Alien Isolation as one of the others and don't particularly enjoy being scared by something I do to relax and enjoy. Perhaps that's why I've tended to play Skyrim recently, as I can sometimes just wander around and at other times get stuck into a decent story.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by PlayerAsleep View Post
    I'm really into my racing games so i'm forced if you like to have an Xbox, for Forza. PC just doesnt have the soul and passion (got all Italian there).
    Also into racing games but I find Forza to be a cheap imitation of Gran Turismo. Although we can see how project cars pans out early next year

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    Alan Wake was one of the most surprising games I've ever bought in the steam sales. Could not put it down until it was completed.

At the moment I am playing FIFA15 (enjoying it after almost a year without a game after the un-fun abortion that was FIFA14) and started on Shadows of Mordor yesterday (fun but not grabbing me like I though it would).
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

I've mostly been sinking hours into Warframe recently, especially with a big update right around the corner, also picked up XCom Enemy Unknown the other day when it was given out free for the golden joystick awards, definitely plan on playing that once I get round to downloading it.

Also got back into COD4 again, with how old the game is i'm finding it easier and easier to burn out on it but its still great fun to play, especially with some of the more creative mods available on pc. And hey, its a proper PC version too.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • someru's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
      • Case:
      • Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate

Just started Wasteland 2 and it's really impressed me so far, I have played Fallout 1/2 which have the same gameplay though I never finished them as they bored me after a while but this game is really REALLY good. It's probably the best thing I've played in a while, it started out a bit slow in the beginning but it really picked up the pace a few hours in to the game.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • georgehayward's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB RAM
      • Storage:
      • 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 570 SC
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Phenom M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VX239H
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband

Battlefield 4 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X, both easy to pick up and play with my mates.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Been getting christmassy with Batman: Arkham Origins
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information