Thread: Quick tumblr question

Thanks

Quick tumblr question

[Waiting for one's posts to show up on searching:]

"Why aren’t my posts appearing on tag pages?
    If your blog is brand new, your tagged posts won’t appear on tag pages. First, make sure you’ve verified your account via the email we sent when you joined Tumblr. Then, after you've used your account for a while to follow other blogs, like posts, and customize your blog's appearance, your posts will start appearing on tag pages."

Can anyone narrow down what tumblr mean by 'a while' as I have fulfilled the other criteria?
    Last edited by sammyc; 06-08-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: Quick tumblr question

There will no doubt be some algorithm so using it for first 2 days heavily then sitting and waiting for a week will probably not gain you any brownie points, but cant imagine tumblr of all websites caring too much beyond the duff ones.

How long have you been waiting for?

Thanks

Fortnight or so, trickling images in at approx 1 a day; following a handful, few likes, customised my theme, etc.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Have you described your triggers, preferred pronouns and fiction-kin appropriately?

Thanks

Even if I knew if you were being serious or satirical.. no idea. Images only, no fanficcing involved I assure you.

Thanks

Anyone else could shed any light on this? Seems a long time to not be searchable. am I maybe missing a setting or a vital bit of criteria?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • artcon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 PRO-GAMER
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790k
      • Memory:
      • Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 250GB SSD, 3TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2430T, LG IPS234V

This might have changed since I last used tumblr, but if any of your tags (not just the one you're searching for), contain swear words or punctuation then it won't show up in tags. Other then that if you're looking at the tagged pages (i.e. https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/computer) then posts will automatically appear in most recent order. But if you're searching (https://www.tumblr.com/search/computer) then it defaults to 'most popular' so you've got to change it 'most recent' if you're trying to find a post you just posted.

Thanks

Thanks a lot. I have seen the tagged pages/search pages thing explained & tbh have read it forwards & backwards & it seems an odd arrangement to me. A search box should be a search box as far as I see it.

Have tried it before, anyway, and as far as my own posts go, whichever way I search, I get nothing back - and I am testing by using a narrow term so I am actually getting a 'no results' at all response. Whether I search, click on my own tags, or whatever. My tags are fine afaik.

Whole thing seems confusing tbh. I mean why when viewing results on searched for tagged pages, does it remove the tag from the displayed results..?
    Last edited by sammyc; 13-08-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • artcon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 PRO-GAMER
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):

Yeh, it is an odd arrangement. It's because it started off with just tagged pages and then they only introduced the search pages more recently as they randomly decided that was a better way to search for things. What the old search box did was just search tags and it would automatically go to the tagged page (everyone on tumblr organises their posts by tags anyway so it does make sense). But now the new search pages search everything in a post and not just the tags so hence the new search pages.
    A lot of people 'track tags' though to see what's new in a tag, so having the search pages as default is more annoying than anything.

This next suggestion isn't meant to be rude as I know it's an obvious nooby thing, so sorry if it sounds like it, but it's just to double check. If you go into your blog settings (Settings -> on the sidebar, 'Blogs' then click on the blog you're trying to get the posts to show up on), then under 'Directory', make sure 'Allow this blog to appear in search results' is on and 'Flag this blog as adult-oriented' is off. As if it's vice versa for those then they won't show up.

If you want you can post/PM a link to your post and I'll see if it comes up for me in either of the tag/search pages. Doubt it will help much, but might as well try.

As for your last question, who knows? Tumblr is a weird being sometimes.
    Last edited by artcon; 13-08-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: or maybe don't PM since I don't think I have a high enough post count

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artcon View Post
    This next suggestion isn't meant to be rude as I know it's an obvious nooby thing, so sorry if it sounds like it, but it's just to double check. If you go into your blog settings (Settings -> on the sidebar, 'Blogs' then click on the blog you're trying to get the posts to show up on), then under 'Directory', make sure 'Allow this blog to appear in search results' is on and 'Flag this blog as adult-oriented' is off. As if it's vice versa for those then they won't show up.
    Yes I have got those settings correct, but thanks (and no offence taken whatsoever) - I trawled round google &c to double check that sort of thing (and frankly, why that page is also reached by the 'edit appearance' link is another weirdness imo, but that's by the by).

Thanks anyway for your suggestions. I won't post my details for you to check, nothing personal all my various internet incarnations are completely separate, and it's a hard&fast rule of mine that their paths never cross, if you see what I mean. Just personal preference/paranoia.

Maybe I'm just still in a waiting period, but that seems sort of unlikely..

Welcome to HEXUS by the way, I hadn't noticed your 'newness'.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • artcon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 PRO-GAMER
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):

I'm sure you've come across this but here's a few more reasons why they might not show up. I had no idea about the one where you have to have an avatar. But just to clarify number 4, you can have more than 5 tags for a post but if you clicked on the 6th one then it won't show up on that tag's pages, but it won't stop the first 5 from showing up in their respective tagged pages.

So yeh, maybe it is still a probationary which is strange since it's been what, 2 weeks. Maybe wait for a month... It'd be easier if they just specified how long. In the mean time, just keep using your blog I guess, post for the sake of posting, reblog and like stuff. But I'd try contacting Tumblr support since it has already been a while (they are actually pretty good at getting back to users from my experience).

And I understand, I'm the same way with keeping internet selves separate .

Thanks for the welcome!

12. Received thanks from:

sammyc (14-08-2015)

Thanks

I have fulfilled all the stuff in the link, & haven't ever used more than 2-3 tags, so I don't think I've fallen foul of a technicality.

I will just contact tumblr (the only reason I didn't as a first move was that people seemed to have found asking around more helpful than tumblr themselves) - and no doubt by sod's law it will fix itself 5 mins after I send the query.

Thanks again for the suggestions & your time & trouble trying to help, am genuinely appreciative.

Thanks

Update, had a more or less instant/stock reply back:

"Hello,

To prevent spam and other types of abuse on Tumblr, we unlock features gradually as you do things like Follow other blogs, Like posts, and change your blog’s appearance using the options in the Customize area. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks."

So square one = search will be effective after some nebulous & unspecified period of time.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • artcon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 PRO-GAMER
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):

Oof, that sucks. Well, that can only mean one thing. It'll just randomly start working one day in the near/not-so-near/mystic future for no reason at all. Seriously though, sorry I didn't manage to help much or figure it out, waiting is a pain. Especially when you don't know what you're waiting for.

Yeh, they sometimes reply with a stock answer first time round to satisfy people who don't read the Help section, but if you reply to the email you might get lucky and get a response from a normal human being with a better answer. That might be the optimism speaking though.

Thanks

I chased this up as suggested, after 28 days up, to be told -

"It's not so much a function of time as it is a function of Following other blogs, Liking posts, and customizing your blog's appearance. Please try those things as those should help."

Fair enough that is what they said originally, I suppose, but as I'd done those things (customizing etc) I didn't think they meant it quite so literally. I get the point of it, but so far I have followed or liked exactly what I wished, no more no less, & slowly & steadily, which is the sort of behaviour you'd think they would count as good practice. Rather than going round following & liking all sorts of stuff, to fulfil a purpose. But there we are so how many likes &c is the magic number? - how long is a piece of string.

Thanks

..and I'm searchable I have a follower. I have likes. I exist.

Excuse my excitement.

Thread Information