Thread: Has Sony dropped the ball..

Ravens Nest

Has Sony dropped the ball..

I love my PS4 but i feel that they're getting complacent.

1) I dont see many exclusives for xmas.
    2) The same old dashboard no real improvements, whereas the xbox one has had a large overhaul
    3) They need a better controller the xbox one controller is better, and they have an improved one now.
    4) The playstation plus free game lineup is all indie no real AAA games whereas the xbox live has full price games every month.

I feel there no1 place is at threat, get your finger out!

Ive probably missed something, what do you think.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Has Sony dropped the ball..

Since the xbox one is as good as dead outside of the states and has sold less than half the number of ps4s. I very much doubt sony care.

Agreed that the exclusives look a bit better on the xbox but since almost every cross platform game runs better on the ps4, what are you going to buy.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
    I love my PS4 but i feel that they're getting complacent.

2) The same old dashboard no real improvements, whereas the xbox one has had a large overhaul
    3) They need a better controller the xbox one controller is better, and they have an improved one now.
    4) The playstation plus free game lineup is all indie no real AAA games whereas the xbox live has full price games every month.

I feel there no1 place is at threat, get your finger out!

Ive probably missed something, what do you think.
    None of those things seem to matter to the buying public, so Sony are probably justified in maintaining their current approach for the time being.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Ontop of what others have said, I personally see that particular point as an advantage, not a disadvantage. I'd personally love to see the death of all this platform exclusive nonsense, but thats something both sides will have to partake in, not just Sony.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    Since the xbox one is as good as dead outside of the states and has sold less than half the number of ps4s. I very much doubt sony care.

Agreed that the exclusives look a bit better on the xbox but since almost every cross platform game runs better on the ps4, what are you going to buy.
    Yes the Sony is technically the better machine by far, most games run at 1080p vs Xbox one 720p 900p e.t.c.
    I see what you mean with the slow uptake with xbox in the states but its just i don't think they should rest on there laurels too much, Microsoft wont be.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    None of those things seem to matter to the buying public, so Sony are probably justified in maintaining their current approach for the time being.
    For now yes but i feel like the xbox is becoming more streamlined with Microsoft constantly updating it (Obviously trying to squeeze what they can out of inferior hardware) and Sony just sit back watching them improve there software and not doing much to improve there's (Or are they working on it secretly, well i hope so)

Also the Xbox live network is much more stable and secure than PS network ever will be, i don't use my PS4 as much as i should (PC gaming master race lol) but i have had problems with there network umpteen times and they are not quick to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jag272 View Post
    1) I don't see many exclusives for xmas.

Ontop of what others have said, I personally see that particular point as an advantage, not a disadvantage. I'd personally love to see the death of all this platform exclusive nonsense, but thats something both sides will have to partake in, not just Sony.
    Exclusives are a bad thing, but then there is no point in getting an xbox one then lol (Actually or a PS4 if the games available on PC)

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):

Exclusives are a bad thing, but then there is no point in getting an xbox one then lol (Actually or a PS4 if the games available on PC)

Ye exactly, then theyd have to focus on building in more powerful hardware or a better system economy or something along those lines for competition, something they have to work to improve the quality of the consoles for, rather than "I like Halo so i'm 'forced' to buy an Xbox" type sales, forcing players of particular games in particular directions.

We can only hope though, I think it's gonna be a long while before that is the case, if ever. Game exclusives aside, impression I get (Don't own either current gen console) is that people would pick the XB1 for controller, but PS4 for hardware. I just think it would be nice if those were the key selling points, not just what games are locked in to that system.

Ravens Nest

Ye exactly, then theyd have to focus on building in more powerful hardware or a better system economy or something along those lines for competition, something they have to work to improve the quality of the consoles for, rather than "I like Halo so i'm 'forced' to buy an Xbox" type sales, forcing players of particular games in particular directions.

We can only hope though, I think it's gonna be a long while before that is the case, if ever. Game exclusives aside, impression I get (Don't own either current gen console) is that people would pick the XB1 for controller, but PS4 for hardware. I just think it would be nice if those were the key selling points, not just what games are locked in to that system.
    So little between a PS4 and Xbox one hardware wise, just that the PS4 can push a higher resolution out, thats why i think Sony have to improve there dashboard and network or there going to look like there behind they need to look cutting edge versus the Xbox in every way.

Actually i have used the PS4 controller with my PC and then bought an Xbox one controller and its much much better and enjoyable to use.

I would love a console with the kinect camera with a merged Sony move-wii remote-xbox-one controller and all nintendo/sony and microsoft games in one and the xbox live network (free) but that is never going to happen.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):

Ye I used a ps3 controller with my pc for awhile, dodgy software and all, but then bought an XB1 controller and definitely prefer it. And you're right, its frankly just an idealistic pipedream that is unlikely to manifest anytime soon if ever. Just thinking maybe, if the consoles are sold at a loss anyway from what I understand, made up for in peripherals and licensed game sales, why not cut the exclusive game licensing, sell better hardware, still at a slight loss, and be able to honestly tout the improvement in graphics. As opposed to the improvement between last gen and current gen, which i've heard being called mediocre at best.

Perhaps theyre too afraid of the pc market to be doing that, since apparently a fair few console players and now starting to build lower end (or indeed high end) pcs and generally being happy with the result.

Ravens Nest

Ye I used a ps3 controller with my pc for awhile, dodgy software and all, but then bought an XB1 controller and definitely prefer it. And you're right, its frankly just an idealistic pipedream that is unlikely to manifest anytime soon if ever. Just thinking maybe, if the consoles are sold at a loss anyway from what I understand, made up for in peripherals and licensed game sales, why not cut the exclusive game licensing, sell better hardware, still at a slight loss, and be able to honestly tout the improvement in graphics. As opposed to the improvement between last gen and current gen, which i've heard being called mediocre at best.

Perhaps theyre too afraid of the pc market to be doing that, since apparently a fair few console players and now starting to build lower end (or indeed high end) pcs and generally being happy with the result.
    If Sony stop exclusives Microsoft wont, and definitely too many remastered enhanced edition games and not enough really new and not rehashed games.

Funnily enough my son loves PC gaming and does not want an Xbox one or PS4, all his mates are becoming PC lovers to and what with the humble bundle and cheap keys its hard to argue against it.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):

Ye it's always been PCs in our house too. We've had consoles bought at Christmas or whatever, ps2, ps3, wii but out of everything, the only consoles I ever really used where handhelds. Even before I built my own PC, the old parts were better the vast majority of the time, though building my own last year was great fun, and its soldiering on well, aside from me looking at a new GPU somewhere in the future.

PC still has that slightly higher price for entry, but once you break that entry price, gaining further performance seems to be relatively cheap.

Registered+
    Thanks

I rate the PS4 controller and was very surprised at how much I liked it as I hated the PS3 controller. As for exclusives I feel as though both the xbox and ps are lacking on that front.

Ravens Nest

Ye it's always been PCs in our house too. We've had consoles bought at Christmas or whatever, ps2, ps3, wii but out of everything, the only consoles I ever really used where handhelds. Even before I built my own PC, the old parts were better the vast majority of the time, though building my own last year was great fun, and its soldiering on well, aside from me looking at a new GPU somewhere in the future.

PC still has that slightly higher price for entry, but once you break that entry price, gaining further performance seems to be relatively cheap.
    PC gaming seems to be the way forward, a couple of years ago when the PS4-Xbox one came out i thought it might be the death-nail for PC gaming.

But the PC with Windows 10, DirectX 12 and most games being on all formats as you upgrade the games get better lol not to mention the modding community, the only problem is the exclusives on console that make them still a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Time View Post
    I rate the PS4 controller and was very surprised at how much I liked it as I hated the PS3 controller. As for exclusives I feel as though both the xbox and ps are lacking on that front.
    I lobve my PS4 controller but i feel the Xbox one controller is better, the PS3 dual shock was hard work.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

And there are for XB1?

Whats broken with the dashboard?

Personal opinion. I find the PS4 controller to be excellent, if I had any gripe about it, it is the location of the share and options buttons but then I rarely use them anyway!

It changes from month to month. There have been AAA titles before. But for something that's supplied free with a £20/year subscription, what do you expect? Battlefront on day of release?

Against my better judgement, I actually own both consoles and I find that I turn the PS4 on SUBSTANTIALLY more than the XB1. For me, the PS4 by far has the better exclusives and I prefer the feel of it's controller more but as with so many things in life, it's all personal preference.

Exclusives I have played on PS4: Last of Us (completed), Uncharted collection (completed), DriveClub, Killzone (completed), The Order 1886 (completed)
    Exclusives I have played on XB1: Forza 6, Gears of War : UE (completed), Halo MCC

As you can see from the completes, I have most certainly turned one unit on a lot more than the other.....

I have yet to play ANY of the free games from either PSN or XBL.....so I question the value in the free titles anyway.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

I quite enjoy the PS4.

I do however wish they made better controllers as I never had an issue with the controllers before until now.

Also I do wish they allowed consumers to customise the dashboard as they saw fit. i.e. wallpapers, different layouts, delete from game library like demos, alphas/betas

Registered+
    Thanks
    • goldfinger247's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 5950 Twin Frozr
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 BIT

I guess the under performance of the Xbone means Sony aren't under as much pressure
    "Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail."

Registered+
    Thanks

the PS3 dual shock was hard work.
    The dual shock was crippling. I hated using it.

Thread Information