Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please from scan 3xs system owners

Registered+
    Thanks

Opinions please from scan 3xs system owners

I am thinking of ordering a complete custom 3xs system from scan and would appreciate any feedback - good or bad - from anyone with experience of their pre-built systems.

My question here relates to general stuff like :
    Quality of build eg everything working on delivery, components as specified or missing etc
    Dealing with problems/faults after delivery - level of on-site service and customer service via phone etc
    Reliability/stabilty of the machine over time ie are all the recommended(by scan) components working well together or are there instability issues arising etc

I have found a few reviews of scan systems on the web but any comments from real end users would be appreciated. Please include a brief summary of your scan system details with any comment. Thanks.

Thanks
    I have no experience with 3xs but scan are a good company and u may be able to get free delivery via hexus.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

tkh
    Thanks
    Yeah scan are a top quality company, delivered my Gphics card in 2 days! (Excluding Sunday)

Registered+
    Thanks
    So far my research shows a lot of positive feedback about scan on buying components. Alas there is little to go on re their 3xs built systems - apart from a few web reviews on places like trusted reviews.

I will keep looking for feedback - if you do have a scan 3xs system then please post and tell us about your buying experience.

Thanks

SCAN - My experience

Deleted by user.
    Last edited by Errol; 19-02-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Privacy

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thank you Errol for your detailed and informative reply - it is much appreciated.

It is good to see the amount of effort scan make in preparing a well-crafted and constructed pc, with various benchmarking programs already run. I must admit as well that when I priced up my own 'perfect pc' the price turned out to be less than I would have imagined. I have looked at other high-end high-volume machines from companies like dell eg dell xps and they are no cheaper to buy. Firms like alienware are far more expensive.

Re you pc I have a few questions.

Are you using the stock athlon cooler for the fx-55 or did you spec a different model ? If so which model and how quiet is it ?

2gb ram - is that 2*1024 or 5*512 ? value or premium ram. Did scan advise on which memory configurations work best with the asus motherboard ?

I am looking for a quiet system yet it will be including fast(and hot) components like yours does. Did you include any other sound control/proofing measures and if so how effective are they ?

Thanks again for your comments and well done on getting such a great looking spec pc. I too am getting quite excited while endlessly refining the spec of my proposed choice - makes me a bit sad I think !

Thanks
    I am using the stock FX-55 cooler. Works fine for me as I don't plan to overclock. There were 4-5 other coolers available to choose from though.

My ram is 4X512 of the fastest corsair ram available (it was nearly the most expensive option/type). SCAN did offer advice on memory configurations by email. They will help a lot if you talk to them !

My system is fairly quiet, although a bit more noisy than a DELL. This is no doubt due to the amount of fans etc. I had 2 120mm akasa amber silent fans fitted by SCAN to help the noise levels. I'm not sure if other noise prevention measures are available.

My PC runs BF2 at 1280x1024 with all settings at maximum and has never crashed. Similarly, the new FEAR demo runs at 1280x960 (the max res) with all settings on Maximum and hardly breaks sweat. Again, no crashing etc.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Errol - until I started looking at my proposed system spec I never really thought much about system ram except maybe how much ie more must be better ! 2gb seems to be a sensible amount given the ever increasing demands of new games.

The higher spec corsair memory is about twice the price of corsair value ram - if you are not overclocking do you feel you got value for money paying the extra ? Comments I have seen elsewhere seem to indicate the low latency ram is most valuable for overclockers. I have emailed scan sales to see what they have to say about it.

Did you consider the option of 2*1024 instead of 4*512 ?

If you have opened your case while it is running which is/are the most audible fans on the system ? cpu/graphics/power/case etc.

Thanks again.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • GarethG's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950 (3.07GHz)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator GT 6GB CM3X2G20008GT
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 NCQ 300GB SATA150 7200rpm 8MB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 280GT
      • PSU:
      • BFG ES-Series 800Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin TJ05 J05ST Atx Full Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Pebble SM2232BW 22" TFT 3000:1 300cd/m2 2ms
      • Internet:
      • Karoo Up to 8mb (barely get 2mb if im lucky)
    I personaly have ordered a fair bit from scan and everytime they have provided a top notch service.

As of yet i haven't had any problems with the browsing, ordering and delivery from scan.

But everyone will realise any company could have slight problems every now n again.

Scan are a good company and im sure you will think the same if you use them.

Thanks
    Well sounds good from SCAN's point of view - very good service

And as for RAM - 2 x 1024 would be better as it runs aat 1T timings giving a slight improvement for the same sort of money
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    Not a specific comment about the 3x3 systems, but all my self builds i have ordered from Scan and never had a reason to complain, had some issues witha PSU 18 months ago, but it was returned and replaced and some round IDE cables thrown in for the throuble

No complaints from me

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for the new comments guys. Nice to see a pc builder getting such good customer feedback.

Thanks
    hi asdicus, just wondering if you have decided to go for the 3XS system yet, i'm interested in getting one myself just can't decide on the spec, or rather i can't decide what i need as opposed to what i want. If you have bought a system i would be interested in the spec and any other comments you have.

Thanks

Andy

Registered+
    Thanks
    Kasavien I have not placed my new pc order yet.

To be honest until my 4 yr old evesham desktop pc P4 2mhz 1gb ram ti4400 graphics becomes too slow to do the job in hand( work and some games) I lack the final urge to go and buy a new model. It works fine - nosier than I would like but not too loud - a little slow perhaps on the graphically intensive games(I just turn down the screen res if necessary). In the past I have always bought a new pc every 3 years or less but these days there seems less reason to upgrade - I really have no interest in the ultimate pc performance anymore. Also every new pc I have ever bought (dell,evesham,amari) has had hardware problems initially - some with faults others driver issues etc -aggro I can do without really. My old pc is nice and reliable - all drivers work great and with a recent reformat windows xp is speedy too.

Scan 3xs systems website is very detailed - 99% feedback I read is positive - I spec a system up every couple of weeks or so and sooner or later I suspect the urge to buy new will become overwhelming.

Thanks
    Well i'm in the middle of speccing one up now from scan 3XS with the aim of buying in the next week or so when i get it i'll let you know my first impressions.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Re: Opinions please from scan 3xs system owners

If you want feedback from our existing customers prior to purchasing a 3XS System from us please go here

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Look for Happy 3XS Customers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information