• RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Re: Help getting back into PC gaming

Some benchmarks using GTX1070 @ 1440p:

Seems to average mostly between 110-120fps (with min at 105 and max 135)

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Seems to average mostly between 70-80fps with (min at 60 and max 90)

A second video here seems to show the GTX1070 averaging around 100fps for the most part @ 1440p "ultra"

That I would suggest is ideal for the set-up I suggested. Allowing free-sync to do it's thing whilst giving smoother performance than a 60Hz monitor.
    Last edited by cptwhite_uk; 14-11-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

My opinion is based on the fact 1440p, in my opinion, is the sweet spot for visual quality and performance on relatively high end hardware.

I take your point on the i7 CAT, but a moderately overclocked 6th gen i5 is going to ample for Battlefield 1 regardless of stats, and it's only benefiting this *one* game we're aware of. I think the money is better spent on a faster graphics card and/or better monitor whose benefits will be relevant for more scenarios.

Honestly I bought a 1600x1200 IPS monitor in 2004. Since then I've never, ever bought a cheaper monitor as I realised the value it gives to everything you do on a PC...gaming, video, browsing.... for me it's more important than even any other piece of hardware....obviously needs to be well matched with a comparable graphics card for gaming.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    My opinion is based on the fact 1440p, in my opinion, is the sweet spot for visual quality and performance on relatively high end hardware.

I take your point on the i7 CAT, but if an moderately overclocked 6th gen i5 is going to ample for Battlefield 1 regardless of stats. I think the money is better spent on a faster graphics card and/or better monitor who benefits will be relevant for more use cases.

Honestly I bought a 1600x1200 IPS monitor in 2004. Since then I've never, ever bought a cheaper monitor as I realised the value it gives to everything you do on a PC...gaming, video, browsing.... for me it's more important than even any other piece of hardware....obviously needs to be well matched with a comparable graphics card for gaming.
    Dude,FreeSync won't work on a Nvidia card anyway. The AMD cards won't need to hit the higher FPS anyway,since the framerate will be locked to refresh rate range of FreeSync.

Seriously, there are people on forums who are running the game,going for a Core i5 is a waste of money at this level - the Core i7 will beat the Core i5 in frametimes and minimums. Its an online game - the CPU is more important. I am

Look at where my Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 is at now - its holding up in the game despite being a 2012 CPU and the Core i5 6600K having a higher clockspeed and three generations of IPC improvements.

It also shows you are somewhat overspeccing the card for the game(IMHO OFC) and the BF1 Beta ran differently to the final game.

The same with Overwatch it is framelocked to 60FPS in full screen mode - only in windowed mode can you go higher. The RX470 was hitting 60FPS in full screen mode with an old CPU. I play Blizzard games,they can butcher CPUs. Its the same with most of the BF series - people are shocked at how much it pushes CPUs.

It seems like it is massively optimised to run on 8 threads like the consoles have. No wonder - they will be trying to eek out every bit of performance out of the CPU. Its even worse withe PS4 PRO having a downclocked RX480.

Also,FreeSync does not worked in fullscreen windowed mode - this is the main advantage of GSync over FreeSync.

Its not about maxing the budget mate,its about showing the OP he can save a few £100 on his budget.

An RX470 4GB will run both the games smoothly at 1080P,and even probably at 1440P too with one or two settings turned down for BF1.

HardOCP had both a RX480 and GTX1060 running the game perfectly well with silly AA options at qHD.

Plus the GTX1070 is not hitting 120FPS or 144FPS,so a 120HZ/144HZ monitor won't be really of much use,as you need to turn settings down to hit it.

But even 120HZ/144HZ its a moot point if you have things like GSync or FreeSync helping even things out.

Even if the OP plays competitively,they won't be maxing out the game - most competitive players will turn down settings as it actually means less clutter on the screen when playing.

Ever seen all those headshot kiddies in online games??

Its because they turn down settings so they can get a clearer view of the battlefield.

Personally I would rather save the £400 and put in the bank for system upgrades down the line.

Its kind of what I have done - I had my 1680X1050 monitor since 2006 and had it for a decade.

Even at the beginning unless I spent £200+ on cards like a 8800GTS 512MB or HD5850 I could never max out games back then.

So basically lots of times I dropped the resolution as it avoided the need to buy a new card at times.

I even held off on purpose buying a new monitor until the old one started having issues since I knew,I would have to massively increase my GPU spend.

Plus I had a colorimeter which was not compatible with newer monitors - so it was new monitor+new colorimeter.

1920X1080 was rare back then and even 1050P and 1200P were not as common too. My monitor was like nearly £350 back then.

The equivalent of cards like the 8800GTS 512MB and HD5850 are probably the GTX1080 now,ie, one tier from the top.

So a £600 card instead of a £200 one. Even AMD charged £400+ for the equivalent Fury last year and the GTX980TI was £500.

A GTX1070 is barely 50% faster than a reference RX480 and even less so than a GTX1060 under DX11.

An RX480 or GTX1060 at 1080P>>>>>GTX1070 at qHD for gaming experience overall.

To have an equivalent experience you really need a GTX1080 at qHD,but even that cannot double framerates over a GTX1060 or RX480:

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/Ge..._2560_1440.png

Plus since Nvidia does not support FreeSync the Nvidia card needs to hit higher FPS anyway.

We might need to agree to disagree on this one - the OP has enough evidence for both stances and they can make their decision.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-11-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks

Wouldn't this thread, being in this subforum, and the poster saying that he isn't into building his own anymore, imply that he is looking for suggestions on specific pre-built desktop?

[...]I don't have the time or inclination to build my own any more, or to do tons of research into it really...[...]

I'm not in the least interested in it being a blingy case, I don't need any lights or fancy stuff on the case.
    Not sure if it means that he is against a blingy case, or simply that he isn't interested in one but it's no deal breaker.

Assuming the former though, perhaps a list of manufacturers that gaming class desktop without any bling would be a good place to start? (It might be quite challenging actually - I think that gaming PCs often have some bling)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information