Well, it looks like I’m not going to make the mod competition anyway (working and getting ready to go on holiday). Thought I’d do a project log anyway, as this is my first major project, but please try and hold back with mocking my meagre case-modding skills.
This is a project I’ve been meaning to do for ages and have had most of the pieces since Christmas, yet a busy year at uni and getting engaged ( ) have held things up.
- Starting case: Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (silver). I like the front of this, but the rest is v. average.
- CPU: 3.2GHz P4 Northwood (can’t remember the stepping off the top of my head, but it’s a good-un!)
- Mobo: Abit IC-7 Max3 c/w noisy northbridge fan
- Memory: 1Gb Corsair XMS4000
- Hard Disk: 200Gb Seagate Barracuda (SATA), 120Gb IBM Deskstar (IDE)
- Sound: SBAudigy 2 OEM
- Graphics: Connect 3D Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb
None of this is new for the project – it has been running for 6 months or so in my rig at university. This project is really about changing the case .
I used to have some basic water-cooling in my old case, but got fed-up as it wasn’t good temperatures. This was not surprising due to the way it had been bodged into my old Thermaltake Xaser 3 with no modding. For the past few months the system has been running stock cooling (whine!).
I am going to install the following kit in the new rig, all of which I have acquired over the past 7 months, but not had time to setup.
- Dangerden RBX cpu block
- Dangerden maze 4 gpu block
- D4 pump
- Black ice pro 2 radiator
- Silver fillport
- Dangerden clear res (not sure if I will actually use this)
- Loads of Tygon, fans, fittings and mundane stuff.
I intend to cut up the distinctly average cavalier chassis (with my new toy - jigsaw )to fit all this in nicely, I will give more details soon and get some pics up so you can see where I'm going with this.
At the moment, my case is in pieces (having been de-riveted), with bits all over my desk, but it looks like it will have to stay that way until after my holiday.
Pics to follow, when I find the driver for my digicam to upload the pics to my other PC (oops : ).