Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need new PSU

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Need new PSU

OK, I'm starting to doubt the PSU is dying:

This is after 43 minutes of prime while simultaneously running Heaven for over 30 minutes then 3D Mark Vantage doing a full run. 12v line never goes below exactly 12v

Both CPU and GPU temps around the high 60s low 70C mark.
    I'm not insane. My mother had me tested.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hmm, just ran Crysis 3 as that's what caused the restart last night and interestingly I had a dxgi_error_device_removed error which says to me my gfx card OC is not stable. Interesting.

Voltages still fine BTW, never below 12v dead.

I think there's 2 different issues here:
    1) The constant reboots before were caused by some unknown catalyst driver error as a full reinstall fixes it. This also caused reboots at stock
    2) This gfx OC is not stable, will lower to 1150 tomorrow

Either way I think this PSU is still going strong.

EDIT: Saying that I think it's more likely a memory OC thing, the stock on this card is 1250Mhz, I've got it at 1550 and I dare say Crysis 3 utilises more memory than any of the 3dmarks

Registered+
    Thanks

Is there any updates on the diagnoses?

You can try knocking some OC down and test you PSU with a digital psu tester to check whether all rails are working properly.

Somethings software monitoring are not accurate so....

Registered+
    Thanks

I've just thought of something. Personally, I can't believe I've missed this until now.

My psu is bottom mounted with its fan facing down, but... My case is on carpet.

In the 2 months of owning this new setup I've only ever had about 2 bsod restarts and they were all known issues when I was experimenting with voltages.

The psu overheating would pretty much explain everything, especially with the restarts only happening with games as the psu is working harder and thus getting hotter.

I've just shimmied the back of the case up a good few mm, will see how it goes.

Also means I might be able to lower some voltages on this overclock too as I only raised them to avoid restarts in games. Never had one while only stress testing the cpu.

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Quote Originally Posted by Spec-Chum View Post
    Yeah, but I see a PSU as an investment
    Spend wisely, spend once
    Totally agree that a PSU is a long term investment, but bear in mind the current trend on power efficiency.
    The latest CPUs and GPUs are using less power than before, rather than requirements gradually increasing as we have seen in the past.

High wattage PSUs will only be needed for extreme setups in future.
    Best to spend money on build quality and efficiency rather than wattage.

That's if you do need a new PSU.

Registered+
    Thanks

OK, I've just ordered an EVGA G2 850W

I RMA'd my GFX card this week as the reboots got much more frequent and the card itself starting making an awful noise.

Amazon very kindly offered a refund (they never really asked what the issue was, oddly) so I took that and bought this GTX 970. The PC still reboots

Tested RAM last night using MemTest86 (granted I didn't run it overnight) but 0 errors. It MUST be the PSU, I can't think what else it can be?

Anyway, new PSU coming tomorrow.

But I've still got a big niggle, why oh why does it not reboot when using Heaven and prime95 at the same time? CS:GO is not exactly taxing and that reboots after 3-10 minutes. I even tried running my CPU at a much higher vCore, just to check but nope, still reboots on CS:GO.

I don't get it! Agh! lol

EDIT: Saying that, I did play Mortal Kombat Komplete last night for about an hour without issue. Maybe it's something with CS:GO config and it's just a coincidence?

Ah well, I really should replace a 7 year old PSU anyway, I've got too much hardware to risk now.

Registered+
    Thanks

New PSU in!

Just spent 10 minutes trying to figure what why this new power supply has making a high pitched whirring noise. I almost even contacted Amazon. Then I switched the PC off and the noise was outside. lol I'm an idiot.

Rig complete now then, there's nothing I need/want.

Assuming, of course, this PSU stops the reboots but saying that I've not had 1 since I reinstalled CS:GO even on the old PSU.

I know my R9 280 was faulty tho as it starting making a weird noise and the reboots were much more frequent once this noise started. Only reboot I've had since putting this 970 in was with CS:GO and like I say removing the config folder seemed to have fixed that.

Evidence suggests it was my old gfx card causing the reboots, but I needed to replace the 7 year old PSU for peace of mind if anything.

Registered+
    Thanks

Have you done a long term (3hr+) memtest ? I found a few random reboots were caused by a failing ram stick having thought the mobo or PSU were on the way out.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah did all that, no errors. No reboots since I changed the gfx card.

I guess I'll never know what exactly was wrong but whatever it was is fixed.

Thread Information