• Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Strange boot problem PSU?

Well a few days ago I thought I heard a crack when switching on at the mains and on switching the computer, it got as far as the CD player lighting up then went into a loop doing the same thing...anyway switched off at the mains waited and switched on at the mains and the computer tried to boot without me even switching on the computer.
    The situation now is:- sometimes it boots up ok as normal othertimes it goes into a loop as mentioned and eventually boots up but if no one has ever had this problem for an instant answer then I suppose it's all the hassle of trying a spare PSU....of worse horror if the motherboard has developed a fault.
    Thanks
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Re: Strange boot problem PSU?

Well I'm surprised no one in the membership had any idea what the problem could be
    Anyway just AAMOI the problem was the X1950pro was on the verge of failing and unless my Corsair HX 520 has some overload protection for the 6 pin power supply, to the card, it could be ruined. To add to the confusion I tried the card on another computer and it worked OK, so put it back and still the same problem in that sometimes it would boot up other times not until finally it wouldn't boot up at all, also tried another power supply to this computer and that didn't work. So I was running out of ideas to whether it was the motherboard or PSU...well to cut a long story short tried the PSU on another mother board with an old Geoforce 7300GT and it booted up perfectly, so am using this card now.
    BUT the geoforce doesn't need a seperate 6 pin power supply plugged in to work and didn't want to take the risk of testing with my other cards that need this plug....so do not know if the X1950pro has blown the Corsair circuit for the 6 pin plug to the card, which was the crack I heard when first switching on at the start of my problem.

Forgot to add:- Although the X1950 worked on another computer that was it last death throes as eventually I tried it on a old spare MB and it wouldn't boot up, so know it was the card that was the problem.
    Last edited by excalibur2; 10-12-2015 at 10:11 AM.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

Thread Information