Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 750W Quiet PSU

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: 750W Quiet PSU

Quote Originally Posted by cam1986 View Post
    Same for me. I have one and i cannot hear it!
    Interesting, I wonder if there is a reason to not have the ECO function turned on?

Thanks

I have the ECO Function turned on!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guest7789 View Post
    On a different note (not sure if I should start a new thread in this PSU forum or the case forum) I think part of the reason why the temps are getting hotter for my current PSU is because I have a Fractal Design (I think it's R4 or R5) which has the PSU fan facing towards the ground and a lot of dust builds up on the removable dust cover of the case very quickly (within a few days). Every time I vacuum it it takes longer for the fan to go really loud, so I think this might be part of the issue. Is there anything I can do about this (my PC sits on wood flooring)?

I've read that some people have turned their PSU upside down so that the fan faces inside the case rather than outside. I've read that it's not great because it can increase temps inside the case but others say it's really good because then no dust can go inside it. Would this be an option? Or is there anything else I can do?
    Can an admin let me know if I can start a new thread with this? I might not be getting much visibility for answers as it is unrelated to the initial topic.

Thanks

I dont think you really need to start a new thread for it. The PSU fan should go to the outside of the case, not sure where you read it wouldn't get any dust if it was turned around, it would just pull the dust from inside the case plus heat! Even with dust filters etc you always get a bit of dust eventually inside the case anyway.
    Jon

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

If its getting dusty in a couple of days I'd say you need to be either moving it off the floor, or hoovering the house more. If the dust issue is because its on the floor then turning it round will probably fix it, and case air isn't that hot. If its a problem with you just needing to clean the house, it probably won't help. and anything you replace it with will also get that way eventually.

Registered+
    Thanks

I cannot quite see where your issue is coming from. Wood floor (besides concrete) is one of the better surfaces for a PC; as the fractal R4/R5 are computer cases, I went off the R3 design, which looks like it has a passive rear intake, and an exhaust facing inside your machine, so your PC isn't exactly drawing straight from below the PC (this could still be a flawed design though). If you are buying a new PSU anyway, why are you worried about it?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreMMi View Post
    I cannot quite see where your issue is coming from. Wood floor (besides concrete) is one of the better surfaces for a PC; as the fractal R4/R5 are computer cases, I went off the R3 design, which looks like it has a passive rear intake, and an exhaust facing inside your machine, so your PC isn't exactly drawing straight from below the PC (this could still be a flawed design though). If you are buying a new PSU anyway, why are you worried about it?
    http://prntscr.com/9fb9a4

Not sure if you can see in this picture but there is a vent at the bottom of the case and this is what builds up dust very quickly. Even though I'm buying a new PSU I'm worried that I will have the same problem again with the bottom vent becoming very dusty and the PSU not being able to cool itself properly.

Thanks

Thats the dust filter and its doing its job, just take it out, clean it, put it back. If its getting dusty often just clean it more often.

Something I do with my case, a Corsair Air 540 is I have it slightly raised off the carpet by 2 wooden battens, their not needed but I know its not sucking up the carpet!
    Last edited by Jonj1611; 17-12-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Thats the dust filter and its doing its job, just take it out, clean it, put it back. If its getting dusty often just clean it more often.

Something I do with my case, a Corsair Air 540 is I have it slightly raised off the carpet but 2 wooden battens, not needed but I know its not sucking up the carpet!
    Oh, I didn't know - I thought that something was wrong! Thanks for your input.

Thanks

Same dust filter on my case!

Registered+
    Thanks

The dust filter is in line with your PSU fan, don't think you have anything to worry about!

Registered+
    Thanks

An update on this:

It seems like both Scan and Overclockers aren't doing discounts on Supernova G2 so I'm looking at other options (as it's currently selling for over £90). One option I've found is something called flubit where I can get it delivered for about £80. I just don't know much about flubit and I've read conflicting reports about how good/bad they are - does anyone have any experience with them?

The other option I've found is that overclockers are selling the Superflower Leader Platinum 750W PSU https://www.overclockers.co.uk/super...ca-045-sf.html for about the same price as the Supernova G2 on scan or amazon, but I would need to pay an extra £10 delivery on overclockers. I know that the Supernova G2 PSU is based on the Superflower PSU I just don't know much else about it like how silent it is etc.

Would it be worth paying more (because overclockers have a £10 delivery fee on top) to have the Superflower one as it is the platinum version or should I go for the flubit offer or potentially just wait and see if some new offers for the Supernova G2 come out in the New Year?
    Last edited by guest7789; 27-12-2015 at 08:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Goatzil

Hey man, I bought my power supply (the same one) via Flubit, from Amazon. When mine came, it came in an Amazon package. I think what they do is buy the item from Amazon, and then send it to you.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goatzil View Post
    Hey man, I bought my power supply (the same one) via Flubit, from Amazon. When mine came, it came in an Amazon package. I think what they do is buy the item from Amazon, and then send it to you.
    Do you remember how long it took them to deliver? Did you have any problems with them?

Goatzil

A couple of days, no problem with them at all. Who is your merchant fulfilling the order, is it Fireworks Direct?

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah it is Fireworks Direct. From what I've read it's their own internal company to deal with the orders.

Thread Information