Thread: This Magaluf thing

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

This Magaluf thing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28156870

So this story keeps popping back up, that a 18 year old girl performed an act on 24 men, for a free drink.

What amazes me is no one is commenting about the health implications of this. Ultimately there is a good risk of STIs from oral intercourse, so 24 people, there is a decent chance of herpes simplex at least.

It appears to be creating a moral divide, are young tourists exploited to pull in members of the opposite sex to spend money, do people have some fantasy, maybe constrained to their 'id' in which they want to do such things.

But through it all, we've missed a clear message, to talk to people about the health implications of drunken orgies. I find it staggering so much of the cometary appears to be based around femanisim/exploitation, alcohol abuse, but ignoring the obvious health implications.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Re: This Magaluf thing

Not that it would make it right, but my understanding is that she was told and under the impression that she would receive a holiday, but that ‘holiday’ turned out to be a cocktail with that name.

But you’re spot on about the health implications, of which there are many for both her, and the men. I worked in a GUM clinic before, and Herpes is no laughing matter, but at least that is not life threatening. Syphillus, HIV etc can all be contracted via oral sex, and so, whilst I haven’t, and don’t plan on, seeing it, if the reports on it are true, it makes for a pretty depressing tale.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah HSV-2 is about 15% (very roughly), now it's almost impossible to get accurate transmission statistics! I doubt anyone would volunteer for that. But my point is from a sample of 24 (assuming) sexually active males, it's a good bet that one of them has it.

Arguments about morality aside, there are physical barrier products available which would allow such hedonism, whilst ensuring everyone is safe. Furthermore the advice given to people about inspecting partners nads before having pretty much any kind of intercourse still stands.

It's shocking that there are many articles which are falling into the "coo, look at this disgraceful behaviour, pics and video after the break" fail to acknowledge the health risks or provide any advice to those going out there. I will remember watching a mini bar brawl break out in the street in Thailand between some pissed up Brits *sigh* and the locals as one of the guys had been denied services due to an on going health issue.

Feel free to remind kids that sucking off two dozen guys in a bar might not be the life you had in mind for them, but please don't just label the behaviour as unacceptable, explain the risks, have a chat, and explain that a bit of Syphillus or Ghoneria can easily be caught in such ways.

On the promotional side, if she felt misled then ultimately she should either demand payment (I don't think soliciting is illegal in Magaluf so long as you are a sole trader) and certainly not come back the next night. I honestly don't think anyone is dumb enough to want to win a "holiday" that lacks even a destination or duration or what dates.... I think that is more just the press spin on the matter. Some people like to believe the only way someone would do such a thing is by some evil person tricking them into it. It's a bit silly as I'd happily commit a sex act to 3 hot girls, in the right setting, with obvious health considerations taken into account. Ah who am I kidding, I'd be bored by the time I'd finished number 2, impressive stamina this lass has!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I also read a report that just as the human papilloma virus has been linked to cervical cancer, it has also been implicated in a rise in throat and oral cancers - so there are long term health issues as well.

But, while the issues are real, lets not forget that this is the slow season for news, and stories like this are headline fodder - and newsbeat does cater for that age group.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I think anyone who is shocked this happened (health hazards aside) needs to get their eyes opened to what actually happens in these places. Pure tabloid fodder.

Ok, so 24 is at the extreme end but I've seen 'similar' stuff go on and that was years ago so it's nothing new.

The girl was a drunken idiot who will have this hanging over her for the rest of her life, the guys are morons and as for any 'mates' she might have had around her (?!) I hope they're not her mates any more.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

It also raises questions about consent, from both the woman tricked and the guys taking part. Were they coherant enough to give valid consent, if the men understood were they party to a sexual assault through fraud?

I have no problem with people being sexual open and free, but the levels of alchohol and deception involved in this are shocking

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thread Information