• MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Re: Video editing build

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreaker777 View Post
    WHAT??? £55? Man, too bad all new sold out when eBay had em for £15.99... wow
    Yep!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XigmaTek-T...p2054897.l4275

Thanks

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    You still have plenty of choice!

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H.../HelpDesk_CPU/

It lists the E3-E1230 (hyperthreaded 3.3GHz quad for less than £200!) as supported which would be a superb upgrade but you could also go for the consumer 3*** i7 and i5 CPUs. Cost per performance wise, thats much more efficient than Haswell IMO.
    Can't even see that for sale anywhere? Is the Intel Core i7 4770 that bad value?

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    How about just changing the Fan on your cooler? If you buy a good quality fluid baring they will keep going for a long time before they get noisy.
    That's a massive pain. Also involves downtime unlike a new build.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Upgrade your current rig as indicated before. What motherboard and PSU do you have ATM??
    As per the thread - Novatech PowerStation 400W and ASUS P8H67-I deluxe. I really want a fresh start - what are the benefits to upgrading??

My main requirement is more RAM anyway and having 4 slots would help.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRockliffe View Post
    Hard drives will be louder than most fans. Without fans, they do get toasty. Could get a xeon E3 (whichever model you can afford). Power supply would be noisy as it's cheap. Better off going with a 350w be quiet. GPU might help with cuda or open cl if your software supports it.
    As I've already stated, spinning disk aren't even in the same room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobgod1969 View Post
    I just had a search for Xigmatek Thor's Hammer, & it's not easy to find on sale - I found just one eBay vendor who had it for £55. I can vouch for the Thermalright Macho - it's basically silent (& can be used passively, with good system airflow), but it is big; not all cases can accommodate it.
    Any ideas for alternatives? And I still have no idea about the case...

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

A few points.

An ivy bridge cpu would be more cost effective than a haswell as you don't have to factor in the additional cost of a new motherboard, the haswell doen't have any major benefits over the ivy, the i7-3770 and i7-4770 basically cost the same (within £1-2) now the haswell does have a slightly better gpu and a slightly better performance per mhz, ie both at the same speed the 4770 gets about a 5% performance boost.
    However you'd need to add on £80-100 for a new motherboard of the same level as your current one, which is adding nearly 50% to the cost of just the cpu.

What case have you currently got?
    What cpu cooler?

ps no mITX motherboard has 4 ram slots that I know of, so you'd have to go larger, mATX at least.

A large passive cpu cooler and a small mITX case don't mix, you could get a large mITX case and passive cooler, but then you'd probably be better off with a smaller mATX case.

While the xeon cpu's are good, basically a slightly cheaper i7 non-k without the ondie gpu, you're currently looking at using the ondie gpu so an i7 non-k would probably be the best option for a new system.

In all honesty I think an upgrade rather than a new build is the better route, cheaper, you don't lose anything much in spec, the only real down side it a bit of time and effort/down time.
    However it'll be less time than building a new system from scratch, the time to physically build it will not be that much different but it's the time installing a new copy of windows, all the updates and all your software that you're not having to do.
    If you're currently on a hard disc and want to move to an ssd then there's plenty of ways to reimage from the hard drive to an ssd which will still be far quicker than a full reinstall.
    crucial do a separate upgrade kit http://uk.crucial.com/ProductDisplay...&storeId=10153
    the main disadvantage to upgrading your current system is that motherboard only uses sodimm's so you're limited to 16gb ram http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cmso16gx3m2c1600c11 and I'm not sure if it can even use 8gb sodimm sticks, so you might be limited to 2x4gb for 8gb

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • 128Gb Crucial M4 + 1Tb Samsung F3 + 1Tb WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX570 Twin Frozer 2
      • PSU:
      • 700W Coolermaster Silent M Pro
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL & Dell 2312HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Regarding your storage choice - you say you have a file server but do you intend on using the SSD as your scratch disk for video editing? Things may have changed since I fitted my SSD but I believe it isn't advisable to use an SSD for this due to the large number, and size, of writes as it degrades the SSD faster. You may already be aware and just haven't posted a HDD or perhaps the fileserver can transfer data fast enough for this (don't know that much about them).

As for the GPU, lots of applications use GPU acceleration so I'd definitely get even a modest card to aid with this. There are several passive cards you could use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    A few points.

An ivy bridge cpu would be more cost effective than a haswell as you don't have to factor in the additional cost of a new motherboard, the haswell doen't have any major benefits over the ivy, the i7-3770 and i7-4770 basically cost the same (within £1-2) now the haswell does have a slightly better gpu and a slightly better performance per mhz, ie both at the same speed the 4770 gets about a 5% performance boost.
    However you'd need to add on £80-100 for a new motherboard of the same level as your current one, which is adding nearly 50% to the cost of just the cpu.

What case have you currently got?
    What cpu cooler?

ps no mITX motherboard has 4 ram slots that I know of, so you'd have to go larger, mATX at least.

A large passive cpu cooler and a small mITX case don't mix, you could get a large mITX case and passive cooler, but then you'd probably be better off with a smaller mATX case.

While the xeon cpu's are good, basically a slightly cheaper i7 non-k without the ondie gpu, you're currently looking at using the ondie gpu so an i7 non-k would probably be the best option for a new system.

In all honesty I think an upgrade rather than a new build is the better route, cheaper, you don't lose anything much in spec, the only real down side it a bit of time and effort/down time.
    However it'll be less time than building a new system from scratch, the time to physically build it will not be that much different but it's the time installing a new copy of windows, all the updates and all your software that you're not having to do.
    If you're currently on a hard disc and want to move to an ssd then there's plenty of ways to reimage from the hard drive to an ssd which will still be far quicker than a full reinstall.
    crucial do a separate upgrade kit http://uk.crucial.com/ProductDisplay...&storeId=10153
    the main disadvantage to upgrading your current system is that motherboard only uses sodimm's so you're limited to 16gb ram http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cmso16gx3m2c1600c11 and I'm not sure if it can even use 8gb sodimm sticks, so you might be limited to 2x4gb for 8gb
    I'm more than happy to pay more if it means I get a new motherboard especially as I'll get some return for selling the old. Isn't Haswell lower power too? i.e. cheaper to run and less heat?

Stock cooler, Lian Li PC-Q07B case.

I thought I said I wanted to run aATX instead of mITX?

I'm going to reinstall Windows anyway so that's not an issue. And I find building a new system is quicker than faffing with remounting a new CPU.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george1979 View Post
    Regarding your storage choice - you say you have a file server but do you intend on using the SSD as your scratch disk for video editing? Things may have changed since I fitted my SSD but I believe it isn't advisable to use an SSD for this due to the large number, and size, of writes as it degrades the SSD faster. You may already be aware and just haven't posted a HDD or perhaps the fileserver can transfer data fast enough for this (don't know that much about them).

As for the GPU, lots of applications use GPU acceleration so I'd definitely get even a modest card to aid with this. There are several passive cards you could use.
    Don't mind about write number issues for SSD speed and the NAS is on 1GbE.

100% worth getting a GPU? That will necessitate going new build too.

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by dulcificum View Post
    Don't mind about write number issues for SSD speed and the NAS is on 1GbE.

100% worth getting a GPU? That will necessitate going new build too.
    About the GPU support, I strongly suggest to check the software first you are going to use, if it does indeed benefit from a dedicated GPU, not just for one or two special scenarios plus (potential and always present) driver issues with every update.

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

An alternative to the Thor's Hammer. Looks funky too:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nofan...l-and-amd-cpus

Edit:
    Agree with Pob255. A Xeon passively cooled in a nice mATX case is the best way forward (Ivy Bridge based Xeon to avoid MoBo change).
    Also if the dedicated GPU is not going to do much in your build due to lack of software support, i7 CPUs with IGP are the next logical step for you. Also I am having an Intel HD 2500 (6 shaders of pure power) IGP, running two monitors plus playing even WoW at 1680x1024 (everything down to "Fair" but who cares) so for your proposed needs I would say an IGP is enough. Unless your software of choice will take full advantage of a dedicated GPU if one will be available so the CPU can be assigned to different tasks.
    If you with to see some local reports about CPU encoding video, take a look at the Handbrake list we have.

Edit:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3Rudo

For cooler go Nofan CR-80EH for £35.

For storage you already have an SSD.

For GPU I say stay with the IGP till need arises for a dedicated GPU.

For optical drive basically anything that does what you needs, cheapest Samsung DVD-RW is just fine.

The proposed build contains a PSU, if you trust your current PSU, just excluded the proposed one.

For HDD I would say look for some 2.5" normal HDDs for noise reduction (they are really quiet), if is takes that just buy external commercial 2.5" HDDs in caddy and just remove the HDD (cheaper that way by a LOT). If not, start to look for some ways to reduce the noise of normal HDDs. I have two 7200RPM 2.5" HDDs in a silent case with passive CPU cooling, no dedicated GPU and case fans at 700-800RPM and I can barely hear the HDDs over the FANs during a quiet night.
    Last edited by Bonebreaker777; 26-05-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks

Thanks, for listening when I've said I've said over and over I have a strong preference for a new build. New case, new mobo, new PSU, new CPU Are Xeons really much better value than i7s? Are there any cons?

Is that really the cheapest case? I don't care about aethetics at all, just noise.

I'm happy to skip the GPU for now (software is Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.)

Again, NAS is in another room so HDD noise is not an issue.

Final thing - how quiet is that PSU?

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

If you want to do a full new build just for the sake of it, yeah sure go for it! We are just insisting that its not the best approach from a value per performance perspective as the overall power of intel CPUs hasn't significantly improved in the last 3 or 4 generations.

There is actually a reasonable benefit to be had from using a GPU with those pieces of software as they allow some of the processing to be passed on it rather than the CPU.

With Xeons what you get is better power efficiency, less heat, ECC RAM support (although i think you can do this even with pentium now?) for less money than the i7/i5 equivalent. On the downsides, there is no overclocking options or onboard GPU.

Thanks

I thought they were usually more expensive. And I think no GPU rules them out for me. And aren't the mobos more or can they also use normal i7 mobos?

I guess all I need to find now is a cheaper case that will fit that cooler...

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

They can usually be used in normal 'consumer' boards however its always best to check the compatibility of the board you are using just incase.

Thanks

Okay, so I think I'm getting somewhere but does anyone have ideas for the case?

Thanks

delete
    Last edited by dulcificum; 15-06-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks

Any ideas so I can get this done?

Thanks

Nobody?

Thread Information