Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: £750 Gaming PC. Thoughts?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: £750 Gaming PC. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreaker777 View Post
    Got yo disagree with that. If your case is well vented (2 x FANs) and tidy (cable tied) the Intel BOX cooler is quiet and cools well unless under long term load.
    S

But the Hyper 212 EVO is a pretty good budget cooler.
    http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-spec-03-red-led-mid-tower-gaming-case
    As you can see, the case can mount up to 6 120mm fans. If I were to use all 6 (buying over time), then a stock cooler is ok?
    Last edited by Hyxgen; 13-08-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

I used stock cooler in all my builds in the last 18 months but one -> which is overclocked.

Not one CPU had any problems even after 12h Prime95 while having PWM control and at least 2 x FANs (push+pull or pull+pull, FANs with manually reduced voltage, typically 7-10v). 45-60 degrees after 12h of load (different CPUs).

You can always go for it, try it out, if problems with temperature come about, just scale back for a while and buy a budget cooler.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyxgen View Post
    http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-spec-03-red-led-mid-tower-gaming-case
    As you can see, the case can mount up to 6 120mm fans. If I were to use all 6 (buying over time), then a stock cooler is ok?
    6x case fans versus 2x HSF fans, personally I would pick 2x HSF fans so I don't have to put up with the noise levels of the 6x case fans solution.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    6x case fans versus 2x HSF fans, personally I would pick 2x HSF fans so I don't have to put up with the noise levels of the 6x case fans solution.
    Then again, I can use the Quiet Editions. I think they run at 1200rpm max.

And what is HSF?
    I used stock cooler in all my builds in the last 18 months but one -> which is overclocked.

Not one CPU had any problems even after 12h Prime95 while having PWM control and at least 2 x FANs (push+pull or pull+pull, FANs with manually reduced voltage, typically 7-10v). 45-60 degrees after 12h of load (different CPUs).

You can always go for it, try it out, if problems with temperature come about, just scale back for a while and buy a budget cooler.
    So are you telling me to stick with stock and then upgrade to budget if stock doesn't work out?
    Last edited by Hyxgen; 13-08-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

I would say you have nothing to lose by trying out the stock cooler.

If over time it proves to be too loud or inefficient, you can replace it easily (£15-20 plus 10-15min of your time).

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyxgen View Post
    Then again, I can use the Quiet Editions. I think they run at 1200rpm max.

And what is HSF?

So are you telling me to stick with stock and then upgrade to budget if stock doesn't work out?
    Lower RPM = lower airflow. More fans = more vibrating parts. More vibrating parts = more noise.

HSF stands for Heat Sink + Fans.

In my opinion, 2 fans concentrating air flow through a heat sink attached to your CPU running at medium speed would produce less noise and better CPU cooling than 6 equally sized case fans running at a lower speed, but it is my opinion.

I have two PCs inside Silverstone Raven RV03 cases the one I use has the stock fans with an Corsair H80 AIO cooler, the other one is being used by my nephew and he is also using an H80 to which he added 4 additional 120mm fans to his case, two pulling in air from the front, one pulling in air from behind the mobo tray and one blowing air out the back. The standard fans are two 180mm fans mounted at the bottom pulling air in from the bottom and directing it out of the top and one 120mm fan blowing out of the top. We both have the same GPUs, EVGA GTX780 Ti SC ACX cards, so the only differences are that one is based on an i7 in an Asus Sabretooth Z77 mobo and the other has an AMD FX8350 in an Asus Crosshair Formula mobo, it wouldn't be fair to compare CPU temps, so the only thing I can compare it against is the difference in internal temps and at best temps in his case are about 1 to 2 degrees cooler than mine, but the noise from his is intolerable and even with my fans set to high I can still hear his PC which is two meters away from while my PC is about 30cm away from me.

Underload my case temps never exceed 32 degrees, his are usually around 30 to 31 degrees, for the amount of money he put into buying the fans and the effort he put into installing them I don't think he is seeing much of a benefit other than the improvement in audio quality that he gets as he added a full surround sound headset so that he could mask the noise of his fans when they are running at full clatter.

I would go with Bonebreaker77's suggestion, stick to stock until you can identify a need to change or adapt, use the money you save on fans and coolers to buy better components instead.

Registered+
    Thanks

I would say you have nothing to lose by trying out the stock cooler.

If over time it proves to be too loud or inefficient, you can replace it easily (£15-20 plus 10-15min of your time).

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    Lower RPM = lower airflow. More fans = more vibrating parts. More vibrating parts = more noise.

HSF stands for Heat Sink + Fans.

In my opinion, 2 fans concentrating air flow through a heat sink attached to your CPU running at medium speed would produce less noise and better CPU cooling than 6 equally sized case fans running at a lower speed, but it is my opinion.

I have two PCs inside Silverstone Raven RV03 cases the one I use has the stock fans with an Corsair H80 AIO cooler, the other one is being used by my nephew and he is also using an H80 to which he added 4 additional 120mm fans to his case, two pulling in air from the front, one pulling in air from behind the mobo tray and one blowing air out the back. The standard fans are two 180mm fans mounted at the bottom pulling air in from the bottom and directing it out of the top and one 120mm fan blowing out of the top. We both have the same GPUs, EVGA GTX780 Ti SC ACX cards, so the only differences are that one is based on an i7 in an Asus Sabretooth Z77 mobo and the other has an AMD FX8350 in an Asus Crosshair Formula mobo, it wouldn't be fair to compare CPU temps, so the only thing I can compare it against is the difference in internal temps and at best temps in his case are about 1 to 2 degrees cooler than mine, but the noise from his is intolerable and even with my fans set to high I can still hear his PC which is two meters away from while my PC is about 30cm away from me.

Underload my case temps never exceed 32 degrees, his are usually around 30 to 31 degrees, for the amount of money he put into buying the fans and the effort he put into installing them I don't think he is seeing much of a benefit other than the improvement in audio quality that he gets as he added a full surround sound headset so that he could mask the noise of his fans when they are running at full clatter.

I would go with Bonebreaker77's suggestion, stick to stock until you can identify a need to change or adapt, use the money you save on fans and coolers to buy better components instead.
    Alright, thanks you 2! z

Registered+
    Thanks
    • someru's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
      • Case:
      • Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate

You can get an r9 290x for £269 here if you're looking for a better gpu http://www.pixmania.co.uk/graphics-c...ns=1&pid=47868

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information